Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How fast are you guys going ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How fast are you guys going ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How fast are you guys going ?

how long till someone chops a Whiplash in half and bolts the wings onto a ducted fan?
alomost did it with foam wing cores i have here, but the unit i was borrowing was wanted back
Old 11-08-2003, 11:52 PM
CONTENDER

bobbdd,
I'e got to agree with Razor on the Viper-with-the-Jett idea. I was the hot shot at the field with my Predator/Max 46fx/ Mac's muffler combo, until a fellow flyer showed up with a sport Jett equiped Viper, and ate my lunch, and took my milk money!!! His combo was amazingly fast.
But.... as stable as both these planes are, at speed, you need next to no throw on any of the surfaces. I am using only 3/16" throw on all the surfaces, as per the instructions, and sealed all the gaps very carefully. I have a roll rate of about one per second and a half, and this is plenty!!! With these rates, the plane is super stable, and easy to fly at speed. Just be careful when you slow down to land as you will have even less roll and pitch rate.
Another tip., My friend has had both fuel foaming problems, and has shaken the firewall loose with the Jett. Be sure to check out all the glue joints, and balance the prop!!
I think the Perdator might be a little better choice of the two. Seems to be a little stronger, although both are almost identical.
At any rate have fun. I still believe the quickie ARF like these two are the cheapest speed secrets out there, and would recommend them highly!!!
CONTENDER
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64445.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	73369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83741.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	73370  
Old 11-09-2003, 08:37 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Bob,

The quickees may not be the best looking planes, but they sure do take off, and land nice. Having wheels may slow you down, but it helps out in the longevity department. Heres my newest speed machine. Flew it yesterday, speeds in the mid 160s' with a Nelson .40.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75287.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	73396  
Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM
drnickm

To Contender

I still have to meet with Jeff and his Patriot. Its no fun passing the Cub.s
Old 11-09-2003, 11:02 PM
CONTENDER

To the good Doctor,
You should have no problem with Jeff. His Patriot is a slick looking ship, but he is still hauling an awful lot of plane behind his Jett. I think the Quickie is the way to go.
You are right about the Cubs ....Although I've never seen them land as fast as they do when you put a couple of Quickies up for a thrash.
Catch you at the....well, follow you at the field.
CONTENDER
Old 11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: BAGOSTIX

we have recorded speeds of 147 mph on a whiplash with an out of the box OS46FX with Macs Pipe.. no bells and whistles, just plain stock engine.
This was recorded with a speed trap thats very accurate..

We are soon going to time a hopped up whiplash with a Jett50 and an OS46VRDF just for kicks, I would bet that both of these engines will push the whiplash over 200 mph.

To go from 147 to 200 mph on the same airframe requires 85% more power. According to OS, the .46 VX-DF ABC has about 57% more power than the OS46FX. The OS46VRDF you talk about using has about 25% less power than the 46 VX-DF ABC. Take that for what it is worth.

I bought one (whiplash) from you, I hope to put 4 hp into it, but it will not be an easy fit, and the fuel capacity is only enough for about 2 minutes of run time.

Also not sure how to get the power out of my motor, I need about 24K RPM and 4 hp. Any ideas on props anyone?
MATT

Are going to put that new P-60 on that whiplash ????

bob
Old 11-10-2003, 11:15 PM
tomr

Sounds like a lot of us are spending a lot of money to fly fast.

I've got a little old DiamondDust with a Thunder Tiger .36 and a tuned muffler all from DiamondDustRC for less than $200. With 25% nitro it got clocked at a respectable 131 mph.

With 40% nitro I get about another 1500 rpm on the ground so gestamate it's pushing 140+ with that fuel.

Total weight is just at 2.1 pounds.

I've seen the Clipped wing DiamondDust and it's significantly faster with the same engine and it costs the same. The Clipped wing Dust with a rear exhaust Jet 50 and tuned pipe is insane for speed.

Tom
Old 11-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Wez

Hi,

Last summer the local police came over to our club with their radar.
Check this page out to see the results.
http://www.narpes.fi/~portomrc/dagbo...a/image14.html
The speeds are mean values (downwind/upwind) and absolute topspeed within
parenthesis. Kenneth Johansson achieved topspeed 252km/h (156.5mph).

-A-
Old 11-11-2003, 11:17 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Are going to put that new P-60 on that whiplash ????

LOL! Hi Bob,

No I might try a KBV 82 I have, although I would hate to mess up the piston and sleeve, they are very rare.

As for the P-60, I have not seen the new one. I am however putting a P-70 on a Stingray, hope I can see it!! Should be fast and they are so small they look crazy fast.

Got a new Super Bandit close now with some special tricks, needs a drop tank just to carry all of the fuel! (don't tell!)