Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ZOOMER!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 08:15 PM
SACKRC
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZOOMER!

INTEREST ON SOME FEED BACK ON A ZOOMER BY MATNEY MODELS.. THE PLANE IS LISTED AS PYLON PLANE WITH OPTIONAL WING VARIATIONS TO BRING IT TO A SPORT SPEED LEVEL. WITH 150 TO 200MPH..THE PRICE SEEMS GOOD AT 125 WITH NO HARDWARE. IT HAS FOAM CORE WINGS WITH EPOXY GLASS FUSE..OR WOULD A PATRIOT OR F20 BE AS GOOD. APPRECIATE SOME INPUT.. JUST GETTING INVOLVED WITH SPEED AS A PREFERENCE IN MY FLYING..[]
Old 03-30-2004, 01:29 AM
RC Thumbs
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZOOMER!

Like you, I have been interested in the Zoomer also. I ordered one last week. Probably won't see it until after Toledo. According to Kevin Matney (I spoke to him on the phone) it isn't really much faster than a well set up Q500. Although, I'm sure he was refering to the times turned on a long course, and not necessarily the flat top speed.
I'm going to either put my K&B F-1 6.5 that has been modified on it or my Jett F.I.R.E 50. When I get the plane and start building it I will post back.

Scott
Old 03-30-2004, 09:20 AM
SACKRC
My Feedback: (7)

What percentage on the wing did you get..? mine is 12%. The bottom is different the top. somewhat flatter...also the wing is square front and back.. i was thinging that it should be sweeped back and tapered with a semetrical air foil top and bottom..what ya think?
rich b.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI SACKRC! Symetric airfoils waste power because the nose of the plane has to be pointed up a noticeable amount to fly level[drag]. A semisymetric airfoil can deliver less drag because the plane will need almost zero angle of attack to maintain level flight at the designed speed. If someone took the time to build a semi symetric DIAMOND DUST and compared it to a stock DUST, it would be interesting to see what the difference was. The other benefit of using a lifting airfoil is you can get away with less wing area and still have a plane that is launchable and landable. The rolls won't be as clean, and inverted flight is not quite as good though, but still OK.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:28 PM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Looks verry interesting.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 PM
MOJO65-9or10

I just bought the 15% semi wing Zoomer today and asked how fast it would be with a typical .46 on it. I was told to expect about 120mph. That should provide some thrills considering my fastest plane now is about 85mph. I think i will be powering mine with a OS .50sx since I already have one.

Anyone with one in the air? I would love a flight report.

I also found out that the 15% wing kit comes with some optional plans to make it more aerobatic by increasing the size of the elevator and also with a change in the location of the rudder. They told me that the optional plans move the rudder forward. I'm not really sure what that might do for it so I will just have to wait and look at the plans.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

You will enjoy the plane.

Mine has long since been moved along to another owner, but it enjoyed its hayday of racing and sport use. Outstanding airplane, smooth, responsive....no bad habits.... everything required for a good racing plane.

It flys about the same speed as most Q-500 aircraft. With the OS.50, it will move along quite nicely

Putting the larger surfaces on will do no harm. Be sure to seal the control surface gaps, and just adjust the throws to your liking. The larger tailk surfaces simply permit it to snap roll better.

Bob
Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Thanks bob
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
MOJO65-9or10

I got my 15% wing kit today and all you get is 2 foam wing cores and 1 fuse with a set of hand drawn planes. No sort of instructions or suggested control throws. You also DO NOT get any sort of list for parts needed to complete the kit. They must think that the ONLY people that buy these kits just know what it should get. Too bad I am not one of them. Dave
Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Drop Kevin Mateney an email, and I am sure he can provide a suggested bill of materials.

[email protected]
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Well I've changed my mind on the zoomer. I am excited about it and have the vertical stab and horizontal stab built. I never have built a speed plane and will be starting a post on its builld up from the beginning. I am looking for hints and suggestions on my build. Since i have never built a speed plane I am open for suggestions on what I may have done better. I am not used to building light so we will have to see how it turns out.

As soon as my roomate figures out what happened to his computer (IT CRASHED). I will start my post with the pics that are trapped on his computer.

Dave
Old 07-21-2004, 03:09 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

There are A LOT of flyers who like the fast planes up in Brooklyn Park, MN.

Most of us fly the Quickee or Q40 type aircraft, but the Zoomer would fit right in. We have many races ever summer, you may want to check one out. In fact, our BIG race of the year is this Saturday.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Tri-Valley in Rosemont has a airshow this saterday or I would probably come up and check'em out. I figure you guys are probably the guys that could answer some of my questions.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM
daven

There are plenty of people up here who could help out with your questions.

Does Randy Etken fly at your field? He could help you out.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 AM
MOJO65-9or10

I am not familiar with the guy. He may, but its my first year there and I "know" everyone but for the life of me can't remember any names.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Kevin Matney

www.matneymodels.com
Old 07-19-2015, 03:18 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

edit

Last edited by dhal22; 07-19-2015 at 03:20 PM.