Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best Speed Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 AM
thunderbug40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Speed Engine

Hi All!!!

Ive been going through all the posts for the past few days and couldn't help but wonder...

which engine,(keeping the bank in mind) is the best for speed phreaking??[&:]

I have an O.S. .46 FX with a Macs muffled tuned pipe... but i don't think thats even close to what you guys are using....[&o]

Thanks in advance,

Madhu.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Best Speed Engine

First off- WELCOME to the greatest RC site on Earth!

I would love to tackle this question but it really depends on what plane(s) you will by "phreaking" with- and what the preferred price range is- some prefer Quickee planes like the Predator, or Viper, others fast warbirds, or deltas like the Whiplash- maybe a prop-jet like a Patriot or F-20?

If you are talking sport/speed engine near $150-

Rossi-45
Webra-50GT
K&B Screamin' 48 &
MVVS-49

If you are shootin for closer to $200-

Rossi-53
YS-45
OS-50SX ($)
Novarossi-50

Over $200-

Jett-46
Jett-50
OS-46VRDF/VX Ducted fan engines-

We need more juicy details!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:36 AM
thunderbug40

Thank you for the welcome...

Coming to the 'juicy details', i am looking for a craft that tolerates dead thumbs and can fly blisteringly fast otherwise... there is no limit on the cost for the airframe as such; however, there IS a major cash crunch when it comes to engines... dont ask me why...

anyway, i was browsing the MVVS netherland site ( http://www.mvvs.nl/ )and was looking at the specs for the MVVS 6.5 GRRT-ABC Racing, rear rotary valve engine.. nice bargain at $164.13 excl S&H. hmmmmmmmm...... might pick that one up after all...

hope this provides enough juice for thoughts...

peace,

Madhu.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Razor-RCU

Whiplash would be great with a MVVS GRRT!

Weston Magnum also has an awesome plane engine combo, has a West-50 (modified Webra) and is VERY fast...
Old 12-05-2003, 01:10 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The west 50 I think is a phenominal engine for the price. I have 2 of them, one on my magnum and one on my whiplash. I get about 21,000 on an 8x8 on the ground running 10% nitro. It has been very consistent for me, they don't have a wonderful idle, but then, who needs idle LOL!!!!! They also won't run worth a damn without a pipe, but the price is certainly right for what you get in terms of power
Old 12-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DO NOT get the MVVS GRRT pylon engine for something like a Whip... This engine runs 7.5" props maximum, so that's not enough to send a Whip or something similar ballistic. This engine belongs on a pylon plane.

If money's no issue... get a Jett... best bang for the buck: they are fast in stock tune, and constucted to take those rpm's... A Jett .50 will scream with an APC 9x8... not so with the GRRT...

When you're talking speed everything depends on the plane you intend to use...
So what are U flying?
Old 12-05-2003, 02:26 PM
ossie

Yep, I'm with Jeremy. The West 50 is best value for money if your after speed. On the right airframe of course.
Cheers
Ossie
Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I was going to say get the GRRT FAI but if your going with a Whiplash not a good idea.

I have one of these and it is a screamer but like they mentioned on a smaller prop. Any bigger prop wont allow it to get up on pipe and it will run like a regular sport 46 FX. Once on pipe its a beast but on a whiplash i would think you would need a larger prop to get it in air and have thrust for launching. That smaller prop would make for hairy launches.

If your going with a Diamond Dust go for it! Great combo
Old 12-05-2003, 06:21 PM
FlooredCOBRA

what plane are you going with anyways?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
thunderbug40

Hi guys...

Thanks for the replies... i was thinking more of the Stinger ( http://www.pylonworld.com/rc_pylon/q...es_stinger.htm )... so which engine would you guys suggest for that?? anyway, i learnt the ropes on a thunderbug40; by balsa usa and an OS .46FX....

any and all suggestions would be welcome...

madhu.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Paulus

The stinger won't need a large prop to go fast so get a GRRT

Paul
Old 12-07-2003, 01:15 PM
FlooredCOBRA

If the plane allows it go with the GRRT FAI if not go with the other one. The other GRRT you need a small header so that little bit may give you difference to fit it in with pipe. The FAI clips directly on rear of engine so the pipe would actually be inside the plane in a way.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Also if you go with a Stinger I would fly it with the OS46FX first. It will be way faster than any plane you flown before even with that sport engine. Then get used to it and put in the hotter engine. Just my thoughts
Old 12-07-2003, 04:41 PM
thunderbug40

Thanks FlooredCOBRA...

I just happened to visit my bank over the weekend and found out; that to buy a GRRT; i would have to pledge my leg and arm... and if i go by what my wife says, then ill have to settle for a 46FX... so thats it...

but my question still goes unanswered....

which IS the undisputed speed motor??

madhu.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:03 PM
ossie

ORIGINAL: thunderbug40

which IS the undisputed speed motor??

madhu.
Your not going to get a definitive answer here, there's so many variables, mainly the human type.
A few guys have offered there thoughts...........now the rest is up to you.

For whats its worth, I'm getting 21800 from my WEST 50 on the ground and the magnum is consistently in the 190's.
For just over $500.00AUS (for the whole lot) that'll do me.

Cheers
Ossie
Old 12-07-2003, 05:27 PM
thunderbug40

hmmmm.... up to me... well... lemme see...\

to put it wirhout mincing words, it alldepends on how much you are willing to shell out; how fast you want to go, where you are located...

anyway, thanks all for the replies... im mailing Ed Smith of avia racing for my stinger kit right now...

Madhu.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Razor-RCU

I gotta get that West/Magnum set-up!

The closest you will get to "undisputed" would probably be:

Nelson- FAI (?)

The closest to high performance I get is:

Jett-50
K&B 7.5cc DF
Rossi-45
Old 12-07-2003, 08:12 PM
FlooredCOBRA

as for the best speed engine there is a huge variable. To go fast you need rpm's and power to turn that.

But each engine is different. Some spin extremly high rpm but on small props. Not saying that they cant turn larger props but they are designed to spool high rpm's once on pipe. They will not perform off pipe on a larger prop. You usually find these on lighter type planes that dont need the low end thrust. These can get in air very fast and and dont sacrafice with the smaller props due to the light weight.

Then again other engines turn higher rpm's but not as high as the others but will turn much more than a sport engine on a larger prop and take the high pitch. Usually you find these on planes that are a little bit more heavier than other type planes. Or I should say they have what it takes to move these. If you went with an engine that ran on a small prop spinning 25,000 rpm's or so on a heavier type of plane you would have a hard time taking off and maintaining speed extreme sharp turns. It would bleed off much more and take much longer to recover speed than the other type engine would.

I am not saying everyone goes by this but it is a general direction on type of engine to go with. All depends on what airframe you want. There is more to it but this is a round about way to figure what engine will work for your type of plane well. I would go with something that spun high rpm's for that type of plane you mentioned. It looks light and the engine should really yank it around with no problems.

But like I mentioned before go with your 46FX first. On that type of plane you will see what that 46 can do. It will fly pretty fast as it is with that airframe and you will be suprised. I am sure you will be a little over the 100 mph mark with no problems. Then later when you can go with a hotter engine. And then you will see what extreme speed props planes will look like bouncing back in forth the field. After that it is a whole new ballgame of flying...

Lots of fun! I know for me it takes me one flight to get my case of shakes out of me. After that I can kick back and enjoy it..no shakes!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

For the Stinger, I don't think you can get much faster than the Nelson Q40 motor at www.pspec.com

The Jett BSE .40 Q40 motor is very close from what I have seen, but the best ones seem to stay in the hands of competitors from Texas.

If you were to look at FAI motors, the MB 40 seems to be the most popular lately. You can see some pictures here, although I have never owned one.

http://home.hccnet.nl/p.v.doesburg/page7.html
Old 12-07-2003, 09:00 PM
ossie

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

The closest you will get to "undisputed" would probably be:

Nelson- FAI (?)

or maybe the Cyclon 40 -
3.0bhp @ 30000