Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Too much power for the Whip?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Too much power for the Whip?

Old 12-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Kaos1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much power for the Whip?

Greetings,

I picked up a Whiplash with the thoughts of putting my Picco 45 RIRE on it. Since then I have read a lot of posts on more power for the Whip. Someone out there put an 80 on it. I do have a Rossi 91 RIRE that is sitting in a box ready for an assignment.

Would this be toooooo much? How much lead would I have to add to the tail of the plane? The Rossi is a heavy engine. There would be concern on the motor mounts taking the stress if the engine would fit. The mounts would have to be shaved a little. If I remember correctly someone had their mounts break in flight from too much stress. They may have thrown a blade which would destroy any normal plane but only broke the mount in the Whip.

Am I crazy to think about this? My dreams were to mount this engine in a 1.5X Diamond Dust. But now I am thinking of the Whip. If there was a 1.5 - 2X Whip that might be the ticket given that the Whip is so much stronger than the dust. That drone on Bagostix's web site looks interesting enough but it is too big.[]

Kaos1
Old 12-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Too much power for the Whip?

I have tried to get someone to use a 91 DF engine on a Whip but none yet.... Auger ran both a Rossi-65 and a Rossi-81 which were surely the fastest Whips on earth... Can you top him? [X(]

I would love to hear about it-

I am on Whip #2 myself
Old 12-13-2003, 12:39 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

The only problem with the Rossi RIRE 91 is it is so big (wide) and heavy. It wasn't too hard to fit the .65~.81 in the Whip since they are just a .60-sized case, but the 90 sized Rossis are a LOT bigger and a LOT heavier. I'm afraid there wouldn't be anything left of the mounting beams by the time you got the .90 in there.

ewspears has a newer version Rossi .90 and he says it's not a lot bigger than the .81. That might be possible.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Kaos1

Yes, this is true. The 91 is a monster. Maybe I'll have to resort to scratch building one of these things in the next couple of years. Too many planes to build already.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

The Latest version Rossi 91 DF Engine isn't much bigger and heavier than a Rossi81 DF. Both use the same "Drum Valve" Rear Rotor induction and are in the 23 to 25 oz. range. The 81 Chuck Auger ran had a 65 "Disk Valve" setup grafted on it instead of the stock 81 Drum Valve. This saved 2.5 oz. bringing his 81 weight in at 20.3 oz. Also the "disk Valve" setup places the Carb higher which makes for an easier Whip installation. I don't think the 65 "Disk Valve" Setup will fit on the new 91 and I'm sure it won't on the old 91.

The boat racers call the old Rossi 91 the "Rhino" it is very large and has an unfinned exhaust spigot in the rear. The newer one is smaller, has wilder porting, and the fins extend rearward to the base of the exhaust stub.

I'd say Chuck Augers Modified 81 is about the pinnacle and practical limit for Whip Power.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Kaos1

Well, that settles it. I'll have to build a larger version from scratch to handle this beast. I don't know if Rick has something that would fit the bill in his bag of tricks.

Kaos1