Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot build question

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot build question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:36 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Patriot build question

Hi gang! I have a question about the patriot.

My LHS has a few kits in stock now and I contemplating getting one. I have NEVER built a kit before and am afraid it will be more than I can handle. Any thoughts on how easy this thing is to build?

regards

matt
Old 12-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patriot build question

I'm building one and I don't think it's hard, but I've built many kits and have scratched built a few. The instructions are very good and if you follow them, it's difficult to make a mistake. However, there are a few things that are difficult to do. Considering how fast the Patriot flies, it needs to be built very straight! First time kit builders struggle in this area. I would suggest that you try to build something simpler first.

Trainers are very good kits to build as well as the SIG 4 star series for first time builders. If you don't need a plane like that, build one anyway and sell it or donate it to your club as a club trainer!

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

I too have built a few kits but will say one thing.The instructions make a huge difference in building any of them.

I had a lot less problems building the Patriot from a box of wood than I did getting the D/C F-20 built and it's an ARC. The instructions on the F-20 really suck big time. I would say if you got a lot of patience and some help from here,you could do it but for a first kit,patience and help would be priority.

Thanx
Walt
Old 12-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Q-Ball

I too have built a few kits but will say one thing.The instructions make a huge difference in building any of them.

I had a lot less problems building the Patriot from a box of wood than I did getting the D/C F-20 built and it's an ARC. The instructions on the F-20 really suck big time. I would say if you got a lot of patience and some help from here,you could do it but for a first kit,patience and help would be priority.

Thanx
Walt
Old 12-16-2003, 02:45 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

This is an awesome kit. I have built 3. I would not recommend this to someone as a 2nd or 3rd kit, let alone a first. There is a lot of shaping and covering all the curvature is quite complex. Like someone else mentioned, getting the wing straight is do-or-die if you want to fly it like it was meant (FAST!). There are a lot of kits out there to learn on, unfortunately, this is not one of them. I have seen decent modelers really hose this one up.

My last patriot (I sold it) had 3" chopped wings with custom winglets, full fiberglass wing covering, retracts and a JETT .50 with tuned pipe and no rudder. Lightening holes in the fuse and no turtledeck/ cockpit to add drag. I also sealed the ailerons and elevator surfaces with kevlar. With a perfectly balanced APC prop turning 17,280 RPM and a nice power dive I am sure I was very close to 150 MPH. I did not have access to a radar gun, so don't hold me to it, but I am telling you this model screamed. Even with a good strong 46SX, this plane should easily be able to approach 100.

Like I said... FAST!! But you better have reflexes to match!

If you want a good jet like model that is a lot more flyer and builder friendly - try the Sig Kougar, its less complex and if built / powered to plans, a nice stable flyer. Of course with a few mods it can be made to scream too!

DP
Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Rubbie

I agree with all the others I just finished building my 3rd, it isn't the easyist kit to build nor is it the hardest. The instructions are good but they do rely on skills that you would have picked up from building at least 2 other easier kits. I don't know about the other guys but I think the hardest part to get right is the where the wing mates the to the fuse. It is so important to get that right or you may have a gap between your wing and your fuse which will affect the performance and safety of the plane.

Yes the plane is fast but with a tame 40 it flies just like a pattern ship with a jett 50, no intakes, and retracts it flys like a jet. I would pick up the kit, but don't start it untill you have put at least 2 others in the air. It is so important that this plane be built straight.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another nice plane to consider building might be a Bridi
Killer Kaos. Easy to build,and a great flyer....put a Tower
.75 in it ($100.) and it will do 110 in a straight line. The kit
is about $75.00....alot of fun and learning for not too much
money....(and the Kaos will out fly darned near anything)

Dave.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Q-Ball

Default Dave

I think you answered a question for me.Thanx a lot.
I've got the Patriot and the F-20 and the Viper, wondering what's next for the winter to keep me busy.I really like that Killer.
Question: Is that fuse that skinny or is the way I'm looking at that pix. I can't inlarge the pix for some reason but looks great.Can you send me another pix or two by email.Would like a closer larger look.
Do you think it would stay together with a Jet 50? I don't know if the plane was designed for speed or what but sure looks fast.
Is the cowl glass, or is it formed and shaped balsa??Rather do the balsa thing.The plastic on all these planes seem to be a sour note after some age.
Who did you order it from??

Thanx for the help[&o]