Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

diamond dust & ss jett 40

Old 05-20-2002, 05:25 AM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust & ss jett 40

putting together my second d dust. with super sport jett 40.any idea on best prop for this beast?? will standard servos hold up??(no problems on my first with os 46 fx)what kind of mphs should i expect??thanks for any advice!!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:15 AM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default prop thing

use high torque servo's.......

when you start fooling with madd speed!!!!!!

at 200 mph that's 500 fps+ with standard servo's

i dont think so.

apc makes a carbon/plastic prop thats all the rage at pylon contests. 7.4x8.2 i think. call dave shadel at performance specialties 775 265 7523 or dubb jett 713 680 8113 i think he sell'e them also.

RR
Old 05-20-2002, 03:01 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will definately need some decent servos. Most of the good ball bearing servos available now should be adequate. The HiTec 225 servos work well, and can save you some weight.

As for a prop, the APC 7.4x8.2 QM prop is too small for the SS40.

The standard SS40 and muffler is not designed to turn that sort of QM type RPM. Target ground RPM for the SS40 should be around 17,000 for your application.. maybe up to 17,500

I would suggest an APC 9x7 or 9x8, or one of the D-1 Series pylon props 8.75x8w, and the 8.5x7.25 will also work pretty well too. Those will be good for starters.

Take a look at this link to Mike Conner's web site and DD
http://208.191.17.233/mcrc
it may be helpful

Bob
Old 05-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Rocket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default holy speed bat man

bob what the heck was i thinking, must have been flying Q40's to long. these delta guy's dont fly high timed motors. i was going to put a bar stock QM40 on my whiplash when i get it and was thinking along those lines.

hows the baby, getting larger i bet. ttyl RR
Old 05-20-2002, 06:44 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey.. a BSE QM engine on one of these would be pretty awesome! Especially with the APC props available to run on them.

Yep... baby is sure growing up. Still tiny, but she will be 2 on monday ! She is getting older....... im just getting old.

Bob
Old 05-20-2002, 07:10 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hate to disagree, but the Hitec 225's on the dust may not be up to the task. You really need centering at high speed with the dust. A corelss or 5-pole servo should work best. I think the 225 is only a 3 pole servo.

Mark M.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:49 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep... the better the servo, always good. Weight and limited space are things to consider on the DD. Thus my recommendation for the HT 225

The 225s are very smooth, and center very well. Ive use them almost exclusively on my QMs and Q500 aircraft for a few years. Lots of torque, quick, metal gears are also available. Gear train is tight... no slop. I know of a couple of Dusts flying with these with excellent results. They have a solid track record.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:18 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,

The control surface on the Dust is much larger than on a QM or Q500. If you are having good luck...Great! I personally would only use the larger servos since there is plenty of roon for them and the weight is really isn't an issue since these are sport planes.

Mark M.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servos

I would have to agree with Mark Mallory. I burned up two fifty dollar FMA coreless servos in my Dust. The first 50 flights were with an OS 46FX and the servos got real loose after about 15 flights with a Jett FIRE 50. I remember a guy on rconline who complained about Futaba 9202's.

I've switched to JR 8101's, high torque coreless servos with wide-spaced bearings. They have held up well. My next servos in a Dust will be JR 9411 mid-size digitals, they've pretty much got it all: small size, lots of torque and the all important holding power around neutral.

It is true that Hitec 225's are pretty good servos, but just seem pretty light for Dust elevons. Why do the minimum? If anything you should use slightly more servo than you think you need.

The nice thing about this forum is being able to take all the input and make a more informed decision.

Good luck with your Diamond Dust!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11812_257.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	7838  
Old 05-21-2002, 02:10 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9202's

I think I am the guy you are thinking of..I said I didn't have real fast roll rates and was wondering if the 9202's I was using were stalling. I was using a Futaba 7 ch non-Super TX and it didn't have elevon mixing. I was not getting enough throw. I recently stuck a JR 388 with elevon mixing in it, still with the 9202's, and all is well. It now rolls as fast as I thought it should...and the servos are fine. I figure close to 100 flights, but not sure..
Old 05-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9202's

Chuck,

Glad to hear that. I may have some 9304's (basically the same as a 9202) laying around after I sell one of my planes. They work great in everything up to 1/4 scale, a very fine medium-torque coreless servo.

Actually I think it might have been Matt Fulks. I talked to him on the phone when he was still stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ. I seem to recall him saying the 9202's didn't seem to be working too well.

Matt, you out there?
Old 05-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jett SS .40 prop size

rmorhan

"putting together my second d dust. with super sport jett 40.any idea on best prop for this beast?? "

I used that engine on a Doddger Q500 plane in Standard Class pylon races. Absolutely the best prop for speed is a Rev-up 8X8 wide bladed sport prop. Believe me, we did tons of prop experimentation and this one provided the best speed hands down. These are very rare props. I keep my supply up by searching props at every swapmeet I can make it to. With this prop, my plane was always the fastest in the class at every event I competed in (in the low 140s). I didn't win much because I was getting outflown by the other pilots.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Rocket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default prop thing

we used the ss40 in sempra pylon and the prop of choice is APC 8.5X7N. the fastest guys in the district (7) are hard to beat with that prop. they go just south of 20 grand on the ground and are freaking fast in the air. RR
Old 05-22-2002, 07:43 AM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the input guys!!the advice sure saves alot of trial&error.i,ve got a big ass selection of pylon props in the 8.5x7.25n range, but was'nt sure they were the best for the dust.would the speed of the dust be similar to that of a pylon plane with the same motor?? rob m.