Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

super kraft F3D by kange

Old 05-22-2002, 03:09 AM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default super kraft F3D by kange

My brother and I bought 2 F3D kange at toledo this year. He put an OS 32 sx in his, I put a Jett 36 Barstock CNC in mine. His was very fast and mine was faster. We had upwards of 30 flights. I was out at the field today. Was leveling out from a massive dive coming downwind, about 30 feet off the deck. I eased into a knife edge when all of a sudden my rudder came loose and plane did it in at full song. Autopsy revealed glue-in paper hinges with very small amount of glue. Engine is ok, but plane literally became small pieces. Moral of story, if you have one of these planes, change the rudder hinges. The ail/elev. are skin hinged and very sturdy. Don't feel bad for me, I have a whiplash on the way, and now I have a motor for it. I can't wait.
PS I heard of a guy with an OS 46 in his, going like hell. Lots of mods to put one in this plane though.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:06 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I put mine in everything but the tail was destroyed. The hinges were ok in mine. Second ready to go, bought a third for backup. These things sure are fun!!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:53 AM
AQ500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen the same thing. A simple step will fix the problem. The CA glue does not always wick all of the way in. Either use hinges with a slot in the middle or drill a small hole on the slot. I've seen autopsies where the glue wicked in less than a 1/4 of an inch. I use CA hinges wherever I can. I have some old planes and the CA hinges outlast the pinned hinges. I've had pinned hinges loosen up and finally break. I've never had a CA hinge fail. I've even seen people that pin the CA hinges.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:19 AM
birdseed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Landing

I also got one at toledo this year and put a jeti 30/3 electric motor in on 10 cells. ( puts out 400 watts - about half a horsepower, if youre not into electrics - 11500 rpm from a 9/7.7 prop)

Problem is i cant land the damn thing without bouncing or tipping over. Theres a whole thread on it in the high speed flight section of ezonemag.com if youre interested, but id like to hear your stories if youve not had similar problems.

PS my hinges are fine