Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Speed Models/Stinger 40??? How bout' it Speed Freaks!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Speed Models/Stinger 40??? How bout' it Speed Freaks!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Models/Stinger 40??? How bout' it Speed Freaks!!!!!!!

Anyone know anything about these planes.They come from the Netherlands.You can see them on the Speed Models website.
I'm looking at the Stinger 40 but don't know anything about the planes.

Anyone out there????
Thanx]
Walt[:-]
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Speed Models/Stinger 40??? How bout' it Speed Freaks!!!!!!!

Hey Walt, these are different than the Lanier series?

You have a link and/or pics?

Gary
Old 02-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Q-Ball

Hey Gary,
Yeah,I have the site and some pix.They don't look like anything I've seen on Lanier.They look really quick.

Few things to get ironed out but I wrote them thinking these were kits but in the order form it ask what color.I wrote them and they said you have a choice of fuselage colors (fiberglass).They didn't say anything about the wing,so I'm still kinda wondering what will arrive at the house.

The site is not very discriptive of the planes and what you get. It says the wing span is 150cm whatever that is but being a 40 size I assume it's 48-54 inches.The price is 150 euro so wrote them and they said $150.I don't think the euro is the same as the dollar so still wondering about that.They sale a CNC kit for it for 17.50 whatever that is and the shipping is 20.00.
They are in the Netherlands.

I like the looks of the thing but won't order till I find out more and see if someone is famaliar with the plane.Moreso I have some more questions to ask them.

Have fun out there.
It's cold and windy here.Bad day for flying.

Later
Walt
Old 02-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

There are threads covering these High-speed aircraft! They look sweet!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:57 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

You can see photos and prices here:
http://www.hobbybarn.com/airplanes.htm#anchor691935

Hobby barn in Tucson is the US distributor.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Here are a couple I found on here-
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm working on a Stinger 40 at the moment... It should be ready for spring when the weather starts to clear up...
Will be using an MVVS GRRT for power... after I get the replacement parts ... My liner and piston got wrecked during the third break in run... wrist pin wire clip let go... damn things...

Anyway, about the Stinger (and their other planes I guess):
The kit contains the following parts: fuse, 2 wing halves, tail surfaces and a fibre glass deck to glue on top of the wing.

You can choose the colour of the fuse (and wing deck). I got deep blue metallic... looks pretty good.
The fuse and other glass parts are of pretty good quality... not too heavy, and sturdy. They are reinforced with carbon in the apropriate places.

The wing is just foam covered with obechi wood. You need to do the rest: leading edge , spar, wing hold down, dowels, servo cut outs, wing tips, cutting ailerons, finishing... all in all pretty standard and easy. They leave every option open to the builder, which is something I like.

Tail surfaces are thin plywood covered on both sides with balsa. The outline shape is finished, and that's about it. The cut outs for the elevator hinges are prefabricated in the plywood layer, so no headaches there.

The optional CNC kit contains all the wood parts you would normally have to cut by hand: firewall, servo tray, wing hold down... pretty easy stuff, and not worth the extra money unless you're really short on time IMO.

If they want to sell it to you for 150$ that is a good thing... because the dollar is very low these days... If you had to pay 150 euro like I did that would amount to a lot more dollars...
OTOH there is a dealer in the States, so there's rellay no need to fly it in from Holland.

All in all I'm satisfied with what I got for my money. The quality is not perfect, but it comes pretty close.

Will post again of course when I've flown this thing... should prove to be pretty fast on the GRRT...
Old 02-06-2004, 06:52 PM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Rudeboy,

would you please provide the thickness/chord ratio (%) of the Stinger 40 airfoil?

1. at the root of the wing

2. at the tip of the wing

Does the airfoil type changes between root and tip?
Is it a fully symmetrical or a semi-symmetrical wing airfoil?

Thanks,

STEUERMANN
Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Rudeboy

It is semi symmetrical... And I think the airfoil changes throughout the wing... that's about all I can tell you, since it is almost finished...
Will try to measure a little tomorrow, but it's hard to get accurate measurements on a finished wing (without cutting it up, and I'm not going to do that )

I asked Look for the airfoil because I wanted to make templates for sanding the leading edge... but he said the airfoil was his own design , but that he could send me a template... So I didn't bother with that and just sanded it by eye-hand coordination ...
But hey, who can blame the man... a good cook never tells you what he threw in the pot...

Anyway, by the looks of it I really don't think it is something "magic"...
Old 02-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Q-Ball

Rudeboy,
Thanx for the info.I needed that..>LOL
I'm putting an MVVS 40 with side silencer (if I go this Stinger route).Should be about rite.
I've written them numerous times asking questions because the website don't give too much info and wanted to get things straight.
I'm talking to a guy in Amsterdam.I assume that's where the plant is.He said I could buy it from them for $150 US.I notice that this place here (distributor) is asking $17? for the same plane. Shipping from Amerstam is $20 but I figured it would be a lot more than that.

Please keep us posted.I like the looks of this thing.I said I'd never buy a plane without wheels again, but I mite slip a bit.

PS...What is the wingspan and fuse length????

Thanx Walt
Old 02-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Q-Ball

Rudeboy,
Thanx for the info.I needed that..>LOL
I'm putting an MVVS 40 with side silencer (if I go this Stinger route).Should be about rite.
I've written them numerous times asking questions because the website don't give too much info and wanted to get things straight.
I'm talking to a guy in Amsterdam.I assume that's where the plant is.He said I could buy it from them for $150 US.I notice that this place here (distributor) is asking $17? for the same plane. Shipping from Amerstam is $20 but I figured it would be a lot more than that.

Please keep us posted.I like the looks of this thing.I said I'd never buy a plane without wheels again, but I mite slip a bit.

PS...What is the wingspan and fuse length????

Thanx Walt
Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are Pylon planes, seems like you could find a comparable model here in the States? The F3D by Kangke comes to mind....

Rudeboy, is fuse center of the wing?? Is this set up for RE only?

Razor...what's up buddy? What'ja got goin' on??? C'mon...you can tell us..... ....I hope my Magnum lasts until El Mirage III...... [sm=surprised.gif]

Gary
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Rudeboy

The Stinger is no pylon plane. Just built for speed.

What do You mean by "fuse center of the wing"?

Wingspan on mine is 153 cm (60 and 1/4")
Bare fuse length is it comes out of the box is 95 cm (37 and 1/2")

The plane is meant for RE engines, but if you want to use a side exhaust there's nothing stopping you.

Couple o' pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82549.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	98200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95823.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	98201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41181.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	98202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46946.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	98203  
Old 02-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Rudeboy

More...

Name:	Pn37146.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	98205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58438.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	98206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71362.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	98207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63418.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	98208  
Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Rudeboy

More... BTW, don't mind the mess...

Name:	Bz77859.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	98209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87795.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	98210  
Old 02-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Q-Ball

Gee,that looks nice.
Thanx a lot.
Couple of questions:
Is that the plans the fuse is sitting on in the first pix?? It looks like the fuse but I see a wing on that plan.

When I wrote Look he (or she) said to make sure when I ordered to let them know whether it was side exhaust or rear exhaust.Said something about the cockpit cowling is different.

I like that blue.What shade of blue did you ask for when you ordered.Did you just say blue and that's what you got?? Also,are you going to look for iron on covering to match that blue fuse or you gonna paint it?? I like that blue with a yellow wing trimmed in the same blue if it can be found.

I assume that the cockpit piece glues to the top of the wing?? How do you remove the wing from the fuse or can you??

Seems like you'd have to put some wood formers in the fuse everywhere.I've never had a epoxy fuse so just guessing that it's real flimsy and bends easy or is it rigid?? How many formers are you going to put in the fuse??Does it tell you how many and where???

No wheels Huh??!!

Keep us posted.This is interesting.
Likeing it more and more.

Have a good one
Walt
Old 02-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Rudeboy

The plan on the wall is of my old and trusty Midwest Super Hots... not exactly a speed plane... but I'm still in love with that plane...

So the cockpit is different for a side exhaust engine... I didn't know that... the cockpit I have has and indent to receive the tuned pipe on a RE engine (you can see it in the pix)... I assume the cockpit for a SE engine will not have that indent. Great!

I just asked if he had something like dark blue metallic, and this is what I got. And I like it. I asked for this colour because I intended to use "bordeaux" metallic paint for the wing (a left over from a motorbike). Don't know what bordeaux translates to in english... it is something between puprple and red... looks like red wine... I guess that why we call it bordeaux...lol...

The cockpit is indeed glue to the top of the wing.
The wing is held down by two dowels on the front and two screws at the back. I may convert the to one dowel and two screws... not sure yet.

The fuse is not a super lightweight, and therefore it is not flimsy. It is rather strong actually. They could probably make a fuse that only weighs half of this one, but then it would be flimsy and need formers... it's a choice every designer has to make. I guess they went the KIS route (Keep It Simple)...
There is only one "former" in the fuse, and that is the firewall. Unless you call a servo tray a former...

No wheels! A plane with no wheels is cheaper, lighter, simpler and faster... so why the hell would you want wheels?!

I looked at this plane for like two or three months, and said to myself "don't order it, you've got enough on the table as it is"... but at a certain point I just gave in and ordered it... couldn't stand it any longer... lol... and I don't regret it.
I just hope all my anticipation will be rewarded with a nice flying (really fast) bird!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Q-Ball

Thanx again Rude,
OK,so the fuse is stiff.Must be really stiff.Seam like it would do some flexing in flight especially at full throttle.Look said that the CNC kit had wood parts.I figured that the kit would be all the formers and firewall.I assumed that the plane being epoxy would have a few formers down the fuse.

So the cockpit canopy is glued to the wing and has a couple of holes in the rear to stick the screws down in.I assume the screws are recessed inside the plastic.

I've had three Shrikes with fast engines and always had to have someone toss it.It was moving so fast when it left the hand that I didn't have time to get my hand back to the Tx. I still have a Shrike and put a LA40 on it and it's a lot slower and I"ve gotten comfortable tossing it my self.I finally got it trimmed where I know what it's going to do when it leaves the hand,so naturally I'm thinking now that it's trimmed properlly,so go ahead and put the fast engine back on it and give it a try.Hoping that it will behave the same with a different engine. Tell you what,the LA40 moves it better than I figured it would and a ball to fly.I guess also that I like a nice liftoff.On the landings I find that I land without wheels a lot better.Once you kill the engine your totally committed.A few months ago it was flooded at the field and I flew the Shrike,killed the engine and landed in a very large puddle of water.Talkin bout a beautiful landing in the water.It skimmed across the top of the water like a floatplane.

LOL...I think that color "Bordello" in the US would probably be somewhere near a condom tan and someone would probably complain.Heck,the whole US is still upset with Janet Jackson for showing a little Hooter..To me it's like "Good gosh,get over it"!!! But that's the good ole' US> LOL.

Gotta go.
Let us know how it's going.
Later
Walt[:-]