Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Scat-Cat 1st flight(s)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Scat-Cat 1st flight(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scat-Cat 1st flight(s)

Wow! So THAT is what all the quickee pylon guys are so excited about! Mind you that I only have an ASP-46 with a Tower muffler turning a 9x8 apc- so I am NOWHERE near the speeds that I would hit with my SJ-50 or K&B 7.5 [X(]

My brother has his Kangaroo with Ram-750 ARTF so it was nice to get him some stick time on this beast as a warm-up!

Looked almost as fast as my Patriot Jett-50... Hard to tell cuz' it is so small!

Anyhow hope everyone is doing well!

james

P.S. The pic shows the Cat with the K&B, but I put that on Whip #2 so the ASP is on there-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73841.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	99489  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:04 PM
w9jcm
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Scat-Cat 1st flight(s)

That is BA i must say. I just bought one build I am putting on a tower 46 on it.. 2 questions what size prop and where the heck is the CG for the plane? I know I am going to be nose heavy with this 46. FYI running stock tower muffler.

Thanks John
Old 02-10-2004, 09:33 PM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Razor
ASP 46

That's probably the slowest that 20 year old Scat Cat has ever flown! You're going to give the poor plane an inferiority complex! Put the piped K&B back on it and see how it flies
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Razor,
Who did you order the Scat from.Who sells them???
I've heard that these things really come in for a landing.Way fast..Are you programming flaps are anything to slow it down for landing?? Airbrakes???
What is the wingspan on those things??
I have a new MVVS 40.Will that work on the Scat??

Have to wait on the Scat. I ordered another Patriot today.Gotta use this Jet for something. I wouldn't think the Scat is a real high dollar thingy so I mite be able to swing it.

Catch ya' later
Walt
Old 02-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Razor-RCU

I knew Esten would be disappointed.... The K&B is on my Whip- (It is too loud for my field also which requires 95db @ 10 feet ) but I just had to get that Scatcat up! I might put my SJ-50 on it [X(] I had an apc 9x8 on there but that is just what I had...(The K&B WILL get to revvv on the Whip!)

It glides better than expected (expectations were low-) and lands VERY fast- I did not use flaperons at all. I have no idea where the CG is supposed to be I was guessing main-spar and I added a little lead to the tail to balance out the ASP- (Still nose heavy)

The MVVS-40 would be a great fit on this airplane! Mine was Esten Spears from about 20 years ago- he let me have it for a great price- I was looking for the K&B 7.5 but when I saw the airplane that the engine was stuck to, and knew that Spears flew it, I had the have the combo!

I am guessing on wingspan @ 48" ? I just threw it together and once again used std servos 3004's and 148's (One high torque servo on the ailerons FMA)

It was pretty funny me setting the plane down and thinking I could taxi out to the middle of the runway then take off (Using the rudder stick the whole time-) before I realized they ain't no rutter! Just held it wide open and let go----

Can't wait to get her up again!

Thanks Esten!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 PM
scratchpc7

Q-Ball
According to the Lone Star Balsa web site, they are selling the Scat Cat kit for 49.95

http://www.lonestar-models.com/

Doug
Old 02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
scratchpc7

Q-Ball
Lone Star Balsa lists the Scat Cat on their site for 49.95

Doug
Old 02-10-2004, 11:13 PM
FlooredCOBRA

awesome plane!

I had one of those and flew it for about 11 years before it went through a tree. I also ran a ASP .46 with pipe. I am glad to see they still sell them. I may go ahead and get another one myself. It was definitely a fun and easy plane to fly.

I remember I put my servos aft of the wing and cut off a few inches on ailerons. I had flutter problems and after cutting down had no more problems.

Brining back memories of good ole days!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
ewspears

Razor,
The Balance point on the Skat is 2.4" behind the leading edge. That is exactly where it balanced as it was sent with the K&B and tuned pipe. Also as I remember I had a small battery pack aft of the wing.

The K&B and Muffled Pipe that was on it had a beautiful, not too loud sound at 20K, Not nearly as loud as some of the unmuffled pipes and engines I have. If you don't fly it with the K&B and Pipe you're going to be missing a real TREAT! It really "grooves" at about 145 MPH

The scat has very light wing loading so landing speed doesn't have to be high. The problem is; It's so slippery you have to chop power at 300yds out at 30 ft high on long final so that you have time to bleed off the speed.

Who needs a rudder? Just slows you down! It will round the Pylons so quick the nose doesn't drop. To takeoff; just give full throttle, 1/4 up elev, & 1/4 Right Aileron. You'll be flying 1/2 second after release.

HAVE FUN!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Q-Ball

So before I get started under normal circumstances the plane builds nose heavy.I'm putting an MVVS 40 with silencer. I assume from the beginning that I should put everything as far back (aft) as possible by the way yall are talking. Correct?????
Thanx
Walt
Old 02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
ewspears

Q Ball,

Scat Cat was origionally designed for Q-500 using K&B Baffle Piston, sleeve bearing 40's. This means it will be a little nose heavy with a modern Ballbearing, Schnurle Ported 40 to 50. It's not a problem to balance though with selective placement of tank, servos & battery. I've seen Scats fly on 21 oz. Rossi 65's!

Tip: You can reduce drag and Scat will fly about 5 MPH faster with a Foremost Airflow Engine Mount, Like the one used on Razors' Scat. It used to be the hot tip since Q 500 rules wouldn't allow a cowled engine but the Foremost Mount was legal. Also get the empannage LE's and TE's sharp. The trick is to inlay basswood edges since the basswood will hold the sharp edges without hetting chewed up. Get Razor to take some close ups of the empannage for you.

HAVE FUN!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
daven

scat cats do build nose heavy. We just moved the firewall back by 1" to help things out.

The easiest way to land is to dead stick. Slow it down to about 1/4 throttle as you make your final turn to landing, chop the engine when you have it lined up, and bring it in dead.

The skat cat is good, but it is not the only nice q500 plane out there. Then again, its one of the only low wing/conventional tailed out there other than the G18U2.

DN
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Razor-RCU

Yup- I was killing the engine on final and that worked well...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Q-Ball

I'm not going to do any blistering speed. The MVVS 40 should move well but not to where it blows the wings off.I say this because, couldn't I build the plane without putting the basswood inlays on the trailing edge?? In other words just build it stock by the plans? I just want a fun fly that moves pretty well and looks like a plane.I'm not into the wings.
As far as landing.Does it land as fast as the Viper 500?That comes in pretty good but will sail forever.The way yall are talking about chopping the throttle sounds a lot like the Viper.If I chop the throttle way out there,it'll still sail for 150 yrds without a headwind.
I wanted to order this tonite.
Thanx
Walt
Old 02-12-2004, 08:49 AM
daven

The Viper and Skat Cat are in the same class. The viper is more geared to racing and speed where as the Skat Cat is really more of a fast sport plane. Landing them is done the same way, cut the engine on final, and hope for a head wind

Just takes a little practice to know just how far you have to bring it out to hit the runway.

You don't have to enlay the hardwood into the edges of the tail for sport use, but I still think that it is a good idea. This thread shows a couple of ways you can put the groove into the edge for the 1/64" ply. Its really not that difficult.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/%22S...1471025/tm.htm
Old 02-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Razor-RCU

Hey Daven: I was thinking of throwing my SJ-50 in the "cat" any idea what prop. would match up well?

I always ran a 9x8 or 9x9 on that engine in the Patriot but am thinking I could go smaller for this lighter airplane-

Any thoughts? Bueller?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Q-Ball

Question here
No.1. Does this plane come with landing gear or is that a mod on Razors plane.

With the Viper's V-tail and the Futaba 6XA.I do have some comtrol on turning,as a rudder would(called a ruddervator).I just goose it and it moves left or rite.
If you have a horizontal elevator and have it programed the same way do you have any control whatever as far as turning l/r like a V-tail set/up?? I don't know if the elevator in the Scat is a one piece or two peice..Useless even thinking this way if it's one piece.OPPS!!

I gotta get something going here.
Thanx
Walt
Old 02-13-2004, 09:45 AM
ewspears

Q-Ball,
The scat comes with fixed wire landing gear that is mounted in hardwood block inset into foam wing. Razor's is the stock gear but with airfoil shape fairing over the wire. Uses 2.25" Prather racing wheels (O-Ring type, .25" wide)

The Scat uses a one piece elevator with the control horn and rod lined up with the rear of Fuse. There are no drag producing control horns or rods in the slip stream.

I used to race Scats and have built a half dozen of them. The first Scat I built had a rudder. It was a total waste of time! The Scat will turn so fast I didn't have time to add any rudder input anyway. (No Computor Radios Then) Putting a rudder on it adds weight and drag, two things I didn't want.

If I were to go racing today with A Computor Radio, I would go with a V-Tail.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:13 AM
daven

Razor, the Jett .50 would work great.

I have one on my Kyosho Spitfire and it moves it pretty good. I tried some of the racing props on this engine with the spit, and found the sport apc 10x7 was fastest. However, on a Skat Cat the racing props would be the way to go. I'd go with the APC 8.8x9.25 or APC 8.8 x 9.5.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:43 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

gotta love em ......
i raced the skat kat in standard class with the 4020?? k&b standard muffler....... tons of close racin. Then i stopped racin and went real fast with a thunder tiger pro .46 tuned macs pipe i ran an 8/8 prop.
ballistic is an under statement. when i landed i would climb to about speck size shut down and play aerobatic glider on the way down, slide slip over the fence and land at my feet. fun planes to say the least
Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Q-Ball

Razor,get ready for the onslaught of questions.Ordered the Scat Cat this morning.Be here in a couple of days.
From what I've seen on here,It's a given that she'll build nose heavy.Is this fuse large enough to shove servo's to the back along with rx rite off the bat?Would you say the fuse is as small as the Viper 500? Now,that's small.From the looks of your pix it looks a little larger than the Viper.
It's kinda up in the air rite now but I've got the 46 Pro on the Viper now and I've got quiet a few flights on it and I think it's (me) ready to go faster so mite start the Scat out with the 46 Pro.Don't know yet. I've got two MVVS.The 40 and the 49. I figured the 49 would be too heavy but the head and case look the same size as the 40. I haven't weighed it. I'll probably start rite off with the 40 on the Scat.Give me a clue.

The Patriot is suppose to get here tomorror but I'll hold off till this Scat is done.Savin' the Jet for that one.

Have a good one.
Walt
Old 02-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Razor-RCU

I will take some pics this weekend of the "Cat" with the wing off-

I am NO AUTHORITY on the Scat-Cat, EW Spears, Daven and other quickee/pylon guys have the low-down on these babies! I AM however an authority on getting good deals on such planes from nice folks on RCU, again Esten comes to mind-

I can fly 'em but I don't build very well....

I would love to get a Lanier Predator or GP Viper, I just got the Scat-Cat because I wanted the K&B DF engine for my Whip... I am VERY happy that I got the plane tho!

Pics to follow this weekend-
james
Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 AM
daven

The Scat-Cat was the VERY first plane that I had ever built. I got a bunch of help from a good friend, but did do most of the work myself. The fuze is quite a bit wider than the Viper, and you should not have any problems for space even if you plan on standard servos. Many of the racers are using the Hitec 225s for elevator and aileron. For rudder and throttle you could use the hitec 85s. You can easily fit the servos behind the wing (which I would recommend). For the battery, many of us have gone to NIMH. Radicalrc.com sells a 720 mah NIMH pack that works well, and is small in size.

Any of those engines you mentioned would be fine. I would just stick the engine on that you plan to use and stick with it.

Not extreme speed by any means with the O.S. .25 FX on the nose, but still plenty enough motor for a good sport plane. We radared it on a couple occasions of slightly over 90 mph. I had the plane for a couple of years before I lost it in a midair playing combat with the locals.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83795.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	100773  
Old 02-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Q-Ball

Thanx Guy,
If the Scat flies anything like the Viper I'll like it.The Viper is a good flying plane,very precise.It just glides forever and don't want to land,but that's better then dropping like a brick.Except for the ultra weak fuse just in front of the tail feathers it's a fun airplane and easy to get comfortable with.I know what I'll do if I decide to get another Viper.

FedEx just dropped off my Patriot.Now,I'm itching to get on it but gonna hold off and get on this Scat.

EWSpears
I'm certainly open to suggestions from you other guys too.

Thanx a mil'
Walt
Old 02-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Q-Ball

Thanx Guy,
If the Scat flies anything like the Viper I'll like it.The Viper is a good flying plane,very precise.It just glides forever and don't want to land,but that's better then dropping like a brick.Except for the ultra weak fuse just in front of the tail feathers it's a fun airplane and easy to get comfortable with.I know what I'll do if I decide to get another Viper.

FedEx just dropped off my Patriot.Now,I'm itching to get on it but gonna hold off and get on this Scat.

EWSpears,Daven
I'm certainly open to suggestions from you other guys too.

Thanx a mil'
Walt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.