Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Launching

Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Mark Hansen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Diamond Dust Launching

I know they have a launch "pad" for the whiplash - Has anyone made one for the Dust - Or how are you guys launching by yourselves? Thanks Mark
Old 06-05-2002, 01:06 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Launching

Mark,

There are a number of ways of doing it. I didn't want to have to depend on someone else or some gadget to launch mine so all I did was beef up the area between the fins so I could grab it and launch it myself. All I did was fill in the empty bay between the fins with some balsa before putting the sheeting on. I then widened the notch between the elevons so I could get my hand in there and grab the airplane. I put a little piece of Great Planes self-stick sandpaper on top and bottom for a better grip under my fingers. With a powerful engine you just hold the Dust in front of you and let it go.

Here's some photos. If you would like to see a very short MPEG video (requires Windows Media Player) of the launch just e-mail me and I'll e-mail it back to you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13336_257.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	8740  
Old 06-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Dustflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Here's the launch

I hit full throttle by bumping the stick against my cheek and then with my thumb on the ail/elev stick and the transmitter against my side I just let the airplane go! Over 150 launches with no problems. With the Jett FIRE 50 the airplane yanks right out of my hand, no need to toss. I usually launch it at about a 30 degree upward angle, with the controls neutral. No need to hold any aileron against the torque.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13340_257.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	8741  
Old 06-05-2002, 01:39 PM
WOW-OOPS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My launch pad is made from PVC tubing, Two arms hold the diamond dust until it is running full blast, then a foot pedal is depressed releasing the arms and letting the plane shoot off. Works very good. It comes apart for transporting on the floor behind the front seat of my two door Cavalier.

Gene
Old 06-05-2002, 03:40 PM
kmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dust launcher

Hello gene,
I am intrigued with your Dust launcher! Do
you have any pictures/drawings of it? Reason I`m asking is in October, of 2001 I had a total knee replacement done. I am now on my second Dust, but am still having a few hic-cups with my balance. Kind of leary of launching mine now. So, your launcher would be the ticket! Thanks for any help you can give, and tganks for your time!
Kerry
Old 06-06-2002, 03:52 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default dust hand launch

Dont you get covered with oil standing behind it like that?
Old 06-06-2002, 12:48 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: dust hand launch

Originally posted by jlong34016
Dont you get covered with oil standing behind it like that?
Not for long!
Old 06-09-2002, 09:55 PM
WOW-OOPS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dustflyer

I like the way you launch your DD.. I always like to try something new and unusual. You say you donít want any gadgets but you need something to hold the DD when starting and adjusting the engine. The launcher does that and the DD is ready to go with the transmitter in both hands.

Launching with the left hand and holding the transmitter against your side with your fingers on the stick is a good idea. I have always launched with my right hand with the transmitter in my left hand and then tried to grab the stick, sometimes I missed the stick or hit it the wrong way. I tried your method with my 1/2a foam glider and it works great.

These forums are great. I get so much useful information and entertainment from them.

Gene
Old 06-10-2002, 01:11 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I HAVE ACTUALLY LAUNCHED A DIAMOND DUST AND RAPIER FROM THE GROUND BY JUST LEANING IT AGAINST MY FLIGHT BOX THEN NAILING IT. LIFT OFF WAS NO PROBLEM.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:09 AM
Airwurthy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to launch mine a similar way, just walk it out to the middle of the field and lean it back on its fins. If its windy, make sure the wind is parallel to the wing so it wont blow over. Step back to the pits and firewall it....."And that gentlemen, is how we do that."
Old 06-13-2002, 02:50 AM
Pickle-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few of us routinely launch our Dusts from 3 wheeled dollys made from old airplane landing gear and a piece of wood. We have hundreds of flights doing this- it works every time and you can be as far away from the dust as you like. The dust lifts off almost immediately and the dolly rolls only a few feet after that. We run sport 45-50 size engines (webra 50, supertigre 45, OS 46) and have a ball while "only" going 100-120 I guess. I'd be happy to take a pic of this simple dolly and very minor mods to the dust if you like.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Edgar Perez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, please post photos of the dolly and mods.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 09:39 PM
Pickle-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dust Dolly

My dolly pics are too large and won't come in here. I will need to figure this out before I can get you any pics. My apologies. I will give a brief description. The pine board is about 3.5" wide and .75" thick. It is as long as the plane (not including the engine sticking out the front). Near the front end of the board, screw a 40 sized aluminum landing gear. I used large diameter wheels, about 3.75" diameter. This raises the front of the dolly higher than the back. On the back of the board, fasten some music wire so it goes straight back. Bend this wire at the back to make an axle for a 2.25" wheel. The bottom of the Dust sits on the top of this board. You must fit some tapered wood on top of the dolly, where the Dust angles up towards the engine in the front. This tapered portion and the wood board is to fit the contour of the Dust. A screw or pin is mounted vertically on the Dust behind the engine in the engine mounting plywood plate. It sticks down about 1/4" below the bottom of the Dust. This will fit in a loose hole in the tapered wood portion of the dolly. At the back of the Dust, between the elevons, drill and tap a #10 hole horizontally so that the hole is in the trailing edge as you look from the rear of the Dust. I used a threaded nylon rod to screw into this hole. Let is stick out about .5" Now mount a wire loop at the back of the dolly, so that the nylon rod goes through it. You're done. The plane will stay on the dolly until you hit the throttle. The vertical pin will move the dolly forward with the Dust. When the Dust gets enough air under it, it will lift out of the dolly and fly away. The rear horizontal rod just keeps the tail square on the dolly untill it lifts off. No worries of the tail hitting the front part of the dolly, the Dust is up and away before that.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Dustflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Starting a Dust

Gene,

You just made me realize I never explain how I get the thing started. I stick one of those Midwest "U" shaped airplane holder thingies into the ground and then set a long narrow cardboard box behind it. The box sits a few inches below the tops of the "U" thing (I think it's called something like an Aeromate). I set the Dust on the box right behind the Aeromate with the nose sticking through so the Aeromate arms keep the Dust from moving forward. I start it on that platform then pick it up and launch it.

Gene