Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived

Old 02-28-2004, 07:00 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived

Nitro Woman,

Thanks for the link. I contacted Weston and here's what they replied:

"Our USA distributor is [email protected]

They will have stock soon.

Best Regards"

Weston UK
Old 02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The wing tips appear to be a little bit more rounded off compared to the old one, but it could be just an impression of mine...
For the rest the outline and shape of the plane looks identical.

I suppose all the "new" stuff can be found in the design and construction department (which could do with a little improvement IMO)
The old one was nice too, but just lacked a bit in construction quality.

Miskin, how's the wing fit by the way? Mine had a terrible gap between the wing and the fuse... I corrected it with TEC-7

Magnums do glide like a brick, compared to any plane I have flown. Most fast planes (pylon planes) glide forever... in fact you can have a hard time getting them down with a little bit too much speed... you must really "bleed them to death"...
The Magnum OTOH drops out of the sky like nothing I have seen before. When your engine quits, you better make sure you're lined up for landing or have sufficient altitude.
But like SJN said, it has no bad tendencies, except for the fact that you run out of elevator fast when speed bleeds off... dual rates are very handy things to have...
It all sound worse than it really is, except for when your engine quits at the wrong moment (believe me, it happens)... when it happens there's only one thing left to do: where ever you put it down, put it down gently and wings level (goes for all planes basically).
I had to retrieve mine out of the fields a number of times, and except for some dings and scratches on the belly the plane comes through fine. They are pretty sturdy.

With the 8x8 the hand toss can get pretty hairy, until you figure out the right technique... My technique is: get your engine running properly! You should have more thrust than weight, even on the 8x8. With enough thrust you can launch almost straight up, and it will just keep on going. If you launch horizontally you get all sort of strange things, basically caused by lack of airspeed (lift) and lots of engine torque... and little room for correction! If it's going straight up you can let it do all that strange stuff without having to worry about the ground...
With a 9x6 or 9x7 I suppose it will take off like rocket, and it will speed up before it has time to act up. But that's just an assumption, because I've never tried anything besides the 8" props.

Fuel doesn't last long. At the moment I am still breaking in a new piston and liner so I have mine slightly rich (on 20% nitro with a lower compression) and I guesstimate it goes through a tank in 3 to 4 minutes. (will time tomorrow if I can get out to the field) Compared to my GRRT that is still very economic though... that one lasts about 2 minutes on a comparable tank.
It's just something you have to live with: the faster your engine goes, the more fuel it uses... after all, all that power has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?
Old 02-29-2004, 02:48 AM
miskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rudeboy

how's the wing fit by the way? Mine had a terrible gap between the wing and the fuse
the wing fits very nice untill you install the tank [&:]...then you end up with a gap about 2-3mm [:'(]
the tank rest on the leading edge of the wing pushing it down slightly i did speak to westons and they said thats how the tank fits

I corrected it with TEC-7
i might sound a bit dumb but whats this[sm=confused.gif]

im waiting for my camera batteries to charge i will post a close up pic then
Old 02-29-2004, 03:38 AM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

If you want to try something diffrent .I have scratch build two diffrent size RIFLE 5,and RIFLE 9. This planes has a washout on the wing tip. you can have fix landing or retracts. here are some pic.[img][/img] The yellow is the 9 version which holds a OS91 ducted fan motor with the tune pipe through the body. i dont if you can the other in the back of the ohter planes. 5 version has a webra 50 tune pipe.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:54 AM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

That looks better then the old one, Hi the name is Angel. If you want somthing bigger and faster, I have a RIFLE 9 version wich has a OS 91 ducted fan motor, also has washout in the wing tip. With retracts or fix gear. send you pic. Or you can contact me at e-mail, [email protected]. (this is easier for me thanks).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78183.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	106152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71311.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	106153  
Old 02-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

thats a nice plane!
i don't see why the tank fouls, the old one didnt get close. try a different one or if it's one of the bottle types use a hair dryer to warm the plastic then shape the rear a bit different. how far do your mount bolts go into the fuz? maybe the tank can move a bit further forwards then?
just looked at your pics, yep, melt that tank a little.. also be careful tightening that wing bolt, the ni-cad doesnt look far away. weird to see it there and not up the *****, maybe that nose is a bit longer now
Old 02-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Rudeboy

Indeed, that Rifle design looks pretty good... should move right along on that .91 DF engine

Where can we find plans of this thing?

Miskin, I'm sorry, I forgot... TEC-7 is not an american product (in fact, I think it's made here in Belgium)... it is something that looks and comes in the same tubes like silicone, but isn't silicone. It is a multi purpose glue that sticks to virtually anything... and it doesn't stink
Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 AM
miskin

use a hair dryer to warm the plastic then shape the rear a bit different.
never even thought of that i have done it now and the wing fits much better .. thanks for that tip phillybaby

also be careful tightening that wing bolt, the ni-cad doesnt look far away. weird to see it there and not up the *****, maybe that nose is a bit longer now
the instructions say mount the battery on the balsa sheeting in front of the wing mounting plate i also check to see if the battery was being hit with bolt and so far it does not seem to be

as to the CG i have it set at about 135mm the instructions say 120-130mm from the wingroot
im not to sure about this part but i think its from where the wing mounts at the front..i have enclosed some pics...1 pic with 4 black marks at 120mm and 130mm if someone would not mind telling me if have done this correct
[sm=confused.gif]

thanks for all the help so far
miskin

Name:	Rp43484.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	106215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54827.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	106216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62407.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	106217  
Old 02-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Rudeboy

This is how I (and other people) measure it, and 135 mm appears to be a good setting. 120mm will give you a total lack of elevator control when the engine quits.

Name:	Db84290.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	106266  
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
miskin

Default RE: RE: wooo hooo my magnumR has arrived

thanks for the reply rudeboy

that how i measured mine ..ive set up the controll throws as per instructions

with rates on
ailerons 4mm up & 4mm down 40% -expo
elevator 10mm up & 10 down 25% -expo

with rates off

ailerons 8mm up & 8mm down
elevator 15mm up & 15mm down (to help with landing)

expo is the same as above
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
AirGar

Start your CG at 140mm.....that's where it woked for me.....

I could still move it back a few MM and I don't think it would affect it much.....
Old 03-01-2004, 01:21 PM
miskin

AirGar

i have moved the CG back to 140mm

maiden flight will be on sunday unless i pull a sicky from work

i will let you know how it goes

oh another thing any tips for breaking in the engine i was told by weston's to bolt it on and fly it in ????

i was going to run a tank on the ground and time it so ive got a ruff idea of when its going to quit

any advice welcome
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Cactus.

thats pretty much right. you break engines in at the temp your gonna run them at, therefore all the metal bits have got to the sizes they will run at. no point running in an engine on the ground ( hot ) then taking it up where it's running cooler and all the fits are cruddy.
i flew my T1 engine after a 10 second ground check right from the box
Old 03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
AirGar

ORIGINAL: miskin

AirGar

i have moved the CG back to 140mm

maiden flight will be on sunday unless i pull a sicky from work

i will let you know how it goes

oh another thing any tips for breaking in the engine i was told by weston's to bolt it on and fly it in ????

i was going to run a tank on the ground and time it so ive got a ruff idea of when its going to quit

any advice welcome

miskin,

After posting, I re-checked my CG and I am right at 135. I did have to add weight behind the wing TE.

The yellow dots are at 140 mm, and plane sits level here. At about 5 mm forward of this, plane is balanced "nose heavy".

I can't imagine how these would fly if you balanced it per the MFG (120-130 mm). You'd probably have to land at 60-70 mph to have any elevator control [sm=lol.gif]

Hope this helps, and I didn't mess ya up!

I ran 2 tanks (break in) on the ground (not timed) and flew it on the 3rd tank...running rich. After the maiden, we walked over to it and the motor temp was perfect. You could actually grab it, and hang on to it.

Motor ran flawlessly!!

Gary

Name:	Sq46754.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	106666   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44820.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	106667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98323.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	106668  
Old 03-01-2004, 03:08 PM
miskin

AirGar

the landing gear looks good how hard was it to install if its not to hard i might atempt it
Old 03-01-2004, 03:29 PM
AirGar

Landing gear wasn't too hard to do, as long as you have a "vice". I bought some Kangke F3D wheels for it (narrow, light weight foam). Did you get the template with yours?

For the tail, I simply used some old brass flat stock.

Name:	Pn37050.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	106674  
Old 03-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airgar,

I am not certain a cheap plastic clevis is the most suitable to these high speeds. I would have gone with a metallic one !

Haven't you ever had problems with such a setup ?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Cactus.

you know the very first ARTF Magnum? no not that one, the prototype, the one that has all the squiggles on the firewall for the thrust and alignment angles.. well thats on it's kit clevises and unsurprisingly is the quickest one that flys here. no problem yet
not that i dare fly on plastic
Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Rudeboy

The plastic clevises are just fine... even at these speeds... As long as nothing is fluttering they will stay put. And if you put metal one's on and it flutters, something else will break...

The tie wrap is a good idea though... I used Tygon tubing... clevises should always be secured, metal or plastic...

In fact, plastic clevises stay "slop free" longer that metal clevises. The metal one's always tend to enlarge the hole in the control horn.
I rarely use metal clevises. If it needs to be that strong I use ball links.

I even substituted the HUGE stock clevises for smaller one's... and they are still fine...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:08 PM
AirGar

I am NOT a fan of the plastic clevises, however, there really wasn't much else I could do with these as the tubes were factory glued in. I keep an eye on them though...

I agree with RudeBoy, there is no slop with the plastic ones.

I did modify the linkage at the servo by adding a piece of metal in front of the plastic piece. (it looks like a plastic hold down strap) I also changed it to 4-40.

Knock on wood....no problems yet!

Gary
Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
miskin

i was going to use the plastic clevis's that came with the hardware kit but they didn't fit the controll rods they just sipped straight over the metal (where you screw on the clevis)[:'(]

i searched around at home and the only ones i could find were metal ones i dont seem to have any slopp

do any of you guys seal your hinge gaps if so what with ??

miskin
Old 03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something called "Blenderm".
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 PM
AirGar

ORIGINAL: miskin
do any of you guys seal your hinge gaps if so what with ??
miskin
I just cut some 1" strips off a roll of clear packing tape, and applied it the top of the wing, and stab.

It's a little tricky, cause it's sticky!

Actually, the first time you try it you'll be cussing up a storm because it'll seem to stick to everything but what you want it to stick to. You'll also swear you need 3 more men and a couple of boyscouts for help, so try to be patient.....trust me I know. LOL

.....or you could just use Monokote/Ultracote.

Good luck!

Gary
Old 03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Cactus.

bend the surface down, use Diamond tape ( fuel and water proof ) stick it to the wing first, bend the surface all the way down, smooth it over, now run your finger nail in the slot to make the V. sorted.
i've not seen a magnum here done that way tho.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:23 PM
miskin

AirGar,phillybaby thanks for the replys just 1 other question

do i do top & bottom or just the top???

sorry to be a pain

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.