Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

.15 size planes and motors

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

.15 size planes and motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 05:57 PM
MyWay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .15 size planes and motors

I`m trying to get a thread going that is dedicated to .15 size engines and planes that will fly in excess of 100mph. If you have any interest in this subject I would like to hear from you. I`m a new member and have a passion for .15 size power plants. I know somewhere out there in RC land someone has RC planes with .15 engines that exceed 150mph. I want to hear about them. To get things started off, I am now flying a homemade plane with 220sq in with a modified bushing .15 non piped. With 15% fuel and a apc 6.5x6.5 it gets 19000rpm and really unloads in the air. Can only guess that the speed is over 120mph. The plane weighs 25 oz and lands on grass with no problem. In fact it slows down so good i`m building a smaller one with 180 sq. in. and a target weight of 22 oz. With the new plane I`m going to use a 6% wing thickness instead of 8%. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .15 size planes and motors

This past yr, a friend and I competed in a speed dash event that used
the old 1/4 midget rules for the plane and specified only three engines
that could be used, OS.15, TT.15, or Norvel .15. All had to be bushing
engines. We used an old Lil Toni and a Norvel. The Norvel was turning
17k with an apc 7/6 on 10% fuel. (had to use provided fuel)
The planes had to weight in at 2.5 lbs.
We won the event, our best speed being 100 mph.
Might have been a bit quicker if we could have lightened the aircraft.
Jerry
Old 02-27-2004, 07:48 PM
MyWay

Jerry You are right about the weight issue especially when manuvering and landing small planes. The biggest factor is the total frontal area of the plane when trying to go fast. Thanks for the reply. Myway
Old 02-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I intend to fly an 1/2A Shrike with an MVVS .15 GFS/R this summer. Does that qualify?

The engine will have a full pipe and no throttle... it should spin a 6.5x6.5 pretty fast... haven't tried it yet.

Since the Shrike takes very little time to complete it has moved aside for other things, and will be finished when I have a moment to spare.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:45 PM
MyWay

Good combo for speed. I had one with a norvel 061 and it was fast! You have to move the engine further to the rear or you are going to have a c g problem. You should also beef up the wing or it will come apart. Also sheet over the tail section. Warning! Do not try to fly this plane tail heavy, and use dual rates on your elevator. At the speeds that you will be going I would shorten the ailerons about 2 inches in from the wing tips. It can be a handful to fly so be careful. Oh, and watch out for the left hand torque when you hand launch it. I launch mine with the right wingtip down about 45 degrees. Let me know how it turns out and thanks for the reply.