Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

diamond dust .60 jett fire

Old 06-09-2002, 12:53 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust .60 jett fire

First flight today. Trouble setting high speed needle. Couldnt really tell where to set it. Burned plug on first flight so figured it must be lean but it never really came onto the pipe. Running 9x8.5. Didnt have tach but it seemed to run well on ground but not in the air. Takeoff not very steady. Dropped alot and leaned left, barely got up twice. Once in flight rock stable. Made one good pass before burning plug but thats it. Estimated speed not very much <<150. Still breaking in engine.
Questions 1)should it pull straight out on launch? 2) any suggestions on setting needle? Pinch test not conclusive. Sometimes it would almost quit and other times speed up and get on pipe with same setting.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default toast

9x8.5 what, if apc it should be the pylon series. the 8.8x9.25 would be more in the range. it sounds like your running to much prop. and what plug. the jett likes the k&b hd plug. RR
Old 06-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Txskydver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Short Pipe

Pipe is too short . Put back on bench w/ longer pipe & run , cut ,run ,cut ,run,cut till max rpm is reached then back off 1/2inch
Old 06-09-2002, 06:38 PM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was running apc 9x8.5 with rossi #8 plug. Jett made pipe to run on 9x10 apc. I will try new plug K&B)and different prop(apc pylon 8.8x9.5). Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:14 PM
MMallory

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jlong,

For the obvious question, why not run the recommended prop (9x10). Dub Jett knows what he is talking about and 10 times out of ten if you try something different it won't work very well for you. Also, you will need to run your engine more rich than usual on the ground. Due to the clean airfoil, your engine will unload and go too lean if you don't.

Once trimmed, your Dust should fly out straight with a little correction for torque.

Mark M.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:50 PM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default prop size

The engine is still breaking in and i downsized as reccommended by Jett. Hopefully engine will do better once broken in and maybe i just shouldnt expect too much until then. I just thought a jett fire 60 would pull it around like crazy even not broken in. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:32 AM
MMallory

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jlong,

It sounds to me like you had a day like my last Sunday, where none of my engines wanted to perform. I think you either had your engine too lean or your pipe too short. Although, since the pipe was set to Jett specs, I would go with the engine being too lean. Even a Sport Jett .40 would have taken this plane ballistic while breaking in. If you are near NJ, let me know, I'll meet you at a local field and lend you a hand.

Mark M.