Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash+Nelson .40 Sport=

Old 06-10-2002, 11:13 PM
RossiRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash+Nelson .40 Sport=

JUST PLANE GONE!! WOW! Does this thing move! Smooth and sure, it is all ACM claimed!

But one word to the wise...Be sure the CG is within spec per the manual!

I was slightly nose heavy and the thing did not want to fly. First two launches turned into prop trimming exercises with the asphalt the third was with a heave that gave it enough velocity to power out of the nose down attitude. The landing took full up and it was exciting to say the least.
Then my flying buddy asked about the balance point. It was 3/4'' forward of the recommended position. His response" Thats the reason for all of your problems. Deltas are much more CG sensitive than conventional aircraft." So, a bit of weight to the tail and bingo! It flew off like a rocket. Once the engine hit its power band the plane was GONE! It was quite a kick just bringing the thing around and then pouring on the coal as it aligned with the runway. Talk about acceleration! Full bore was limited to 4 seconds or so because we were quickly approaching the western limit of the field!

So Whiplash owners, what have been your experiences?

Have fun!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:35 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default : )

Don't want to say I told you so : ) but... it is a kick aint it??
glad to hear you got the CG right, it is very sensitive to CG so fellas, follow instructions, its ugly when the CG is nose or tail heavy.

once you've become accustom to the speed this aircraft is capable of, you'll see what it can do in manuevers, wait till you do a full throttle hard turn.... whew!! what a rush

thanks for the good press
Old 06-11-2002, 06:35 PM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash+Nelson .40 Sport=

Since the reference point for balance is on the top side, should it be balanced inverted or right side up?
Old 06-11-2002, 09:27 PM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CG

This takeoff is exactly what my dust does. I am very nose heavy with a full tank. I balanced dry. Landing took full up with fuel in tank. Where did you end up with CG?