Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum problems

Champ,

How does loose covering translate into a lost plane?

Mark M.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Default Loose covering

Because the covering didn't blow off, it was flapping in the breeze. Disrupting airflow over the stabilizers. No stabilizers no airplane, end of story.

Like I said this wasn't my airplane, what bothers me is a substandard airframe being sold as a 200+ MPH airplane. This is scary to me and I hope to all because what if you were standing at the very spot that missle came down. Or how about one of your kids? If you want to go that fast put REAL carbon fiber on that wing not a pretender. Accidents do happen all the time however there are actions that we do that make an accident the result of neglect. Just my humble opinion.
(Holy Cow, I just read that and it's a pretty good R&R , OK, good for me; others may have done a better job.)
Mark
Old 06-27-2002, 11:34 AM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Champ,

I understand your concern. However, I wouldn't call the airframe substandard. The airframe didn't fail. A loose decal should have been spotted in a decent preflight check. When you take on the responsibility of flying a model cabable of high speeds, you also take on the responsibility of making sure it is safe before taking to the air. Most ARF's I've assembled spell out in the instructions to iron down the covering. On high speed planes I also seal the edges of all covering with either CA or clear nail paint. Either way, if control was lost, I hope the throttle was cut!

Mark M.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Magnum problems

Bottom line is the Carbon covering or stickers or whatever you call them have no glue backing and do not stick at all as is, you have to remove them totally or if you want to use tham take them off and spray the back side with 3M 77 adhesive and reappply them. It is substandard and the answer I got from modelbaug was they hadn't had a problem like that before...And I still haven't recieved the spinner they promised either.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Default Magnum problems

MMallory
Sorry, I have to disagree with you and agree with you.
First , the "COVERING" used in my opinion is substandard, PERIOD. It is part of the airframe. As far as a pre-flight spotting a loose decal, again this is not a decal but what the manufacture passes off as the covering, again they produced this plane with substandard material and had a tragedy occurred I feel that the manufacturer should be held responsible. Now the loss of a model is not a tragedy, however the loss of a life or limb would be, don't you agree?

Second, As far as taking the responsibility of making sure that your fast plane is "SAFE" before taking it to the air, if you take that approach you must unassemble your new ARF to make sure that the manufacturer used enough and the proper amount of adhesive on the construction of your speedster, Did they use the proper material, is the design structurally sound and on and on. Which means why purchase the ARF in the first place? When you purchase an ARF that says it's capable of 200MPH+ then by golly they should have done their homework and got it right .

So as far as pre-flight , yes, I agree you had better go over every nut and bolt, every hinge , clevis , control horn etc. before every flight. However, there are things you cannot inspect, you must take it on faith that the manufacturer did a proper job. IN MY opinion they fall short on this ARF speedster.

And yes the throttle was cut. Then smashed into the ground. (Sorry I couldn't resist that one. Some peoples kids!)

Evan, right on! (Oh wow the 60's all over again)

Mark Y
Old 06-27-2002, 05:23 PM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

i've had a close look at all the Magnums here in our club, one of two have lost the canopy stickers, but thats because the came loose and they took them off, the edges at the back of some are lifted slightly, but thats from cleaning not due them not being sticky.
Like MMallory said these things should be checked, i would lay clear tape over the LE of the sticker, just like you do with gaps or stickers on Diamond Dusts. but i say again, NO Magnum here is showing any sign of what you say and these are the very first ones off the production line.
the only thing i can think is the planes got hot during transit to the US loosening the covering, the ones here havent even needed the main covering de-wrinkeling
dont quote me, but i think the covering is the CF look Pro-Film, sub standard? its so good i cant even afford it!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:07 PM
evan-RCU

Default Magnum problems

We don't need to go back and forth on this. Obviously the early ones had film that worked, the later ones don't. The canopy or window stickers on the new ones are different too, probably to fix the problems you had...If you're interested I can send you a piece of the film to try and get it to stick, I took it all off mine and duplicated it in red econokote. My friend Guido used 3M 77 to stick it down on his.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:30 PM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Evan,

I just got another Magnum and you are right. The decals will not stick to anything without adding some sort of adhesive. I also noticed the hinge slots were too wide for CA hinges, the aileron stock didn't match the airfoil of the wing and the nose bits were off center.

Phillybaby,

If you have the opportunity to speak to the guys at Weston, please let them know of these issues with the new batch of kits. Also, let them know the black fuel proofing they are using in the engine area is a nice touch. I've tried to call them and I've been getting a busy signal. BTW, this is a strong plane. I put my 1st Magnum into a tree at about 90 mph. the wing took most of the impact and is still repairable.

All,

If you buy this kit and decide to add landing gear, I think I have an easier mod than what comes in the instructions. I added a 1/4" ply block in the bottom for the fuse forward of the wing. I drilled and tapped for 2 1/4-20 nylon bolts and bolted on Q500 aluminun gear and wheels. A 5 minute job.

Mark M.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:40 PM
evan-RCU

Default Magnum problems

Thanks, for the reply, I was wondering if the two kits Guido and I got where the only problem ones. I agree on your landing gear mod, much easier, and a simple tail skid. The magnum is no where near as easy to launch as a DD, better to use a buddy....
Old 07-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

i hear BOTH Greenfields will be at our display, so i can take the matter up. when you say stickers, the loose ones that come with it, never stay on for long. i just cant tell you enough times that the CF look stuff shows no sign of being lifted on ours. i cant think of a reason, they get shipped to us from Asia, if it was heat, it would have happened there, and we would have it too.
black fuel proofing is new to us, ours had proffing ( Cougar didnt ) but i'll talk to Alan about all of this.
please take those wheels off. uglyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 07-09-2002, 04:15 PM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Phillybaby,

Just to clarify, my first Magnum didn't have any problems with the decals. This new one is like they forgot the glue. The hinge slots would not be noticed if I didn't clear the covering to allow the glue to flow better. Just to be picky, it also needs more clearance for the header pipe. I have the ugly wheels because the guys at my field tend to hand launch straight into the ground (ask me how I know). Those that can launch are afraid of the fast planes.

Mark M.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

throwing hand behind the wing, other to support the nose, overhead throw like it was a fun fighter, just handy to duck after coz most launches sink a little
Old 07-10-2002, 10:52 AM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Phillybaby,

I attempted to replace the decals with Ultracote and guess what?!? Ultracote won't stick to the yellow covering either. So maybe the faux carbon wasn't the problem after all. This new plane is a different yellow than the old one and even if you scuff it with sand paper, iron on covering will not stick to it. I guess I'm stuck with an all yellow plane for now. I might try Monokote trim sheets next.

Mark M.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:19 AM
evan-RCU

Default Magnum problems

I duplicted the faux carbon in red econokote, the yellow is low heat so you have to use a low heat covering like econokote or towers covering. It stuck fine for me...
Old 07-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

something i heard today........
a friend has a plane covered in Solarfilm..... he tried to put a pattern on in Pro-Film...
it didnt stick for long........
Sound familar? maybe they have changed the base film. ORRRRRRR its not been prepared in a batch that you guys got.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:11 PM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

OK OK OK answers, right from Weston at our display this weekend.

The covering, the factory in china changed the type on a batch and the pro-film wont stick to it. after some ass kicking this has now been changed.

Choppies proto-type is now starting to lift the Cf film on the tail where the exhaust stays and he cant be bothered to clean it. despite maybe 1/4" sticking up, its not peeling off in flight or showing any bad handeling signs.

Also, thrust angle issues, sometimes they workers get a bit slap happy with the fuel proofer and its thick at the bottom, giving stange thrust angles.

Area of weakness, the bottom of the engine bay is only thin balsa, this is breaking though on ours and one has a massive hole now. helps with cooling tho

The West 50's are running fantastic, by the time you've picked the plane up and walked back to the flight line the engine is cool enough to touch!
There should be 2500 imported into the US soon, im sure he said 2500 a month for the next 4 months!!!

The West 35 is now going to be a 36 and i WANT ONE! no.... i want TWO!!!!!!

Anything else just ask and i'll see what i can find out
Old 07-28-2002, 07:56 PM
Isaac F

Default Magnum problems

Hey phillybaby, THX for the info.

Can you find if they going to release a 36 or 50 West version for heli aplication?????

I am interested in a 50 for a heli.

Isaac
Old 07-29-2002, 09:30 AM
Cactus.

Default Magnum problems

the 50 is also available as a T1 version which is in the Hype 3D, it has cooling fins on the back plate and after a 3D flight still comes down cool, i guess you could use this, same gos for the 36 funfly engine.
Choppie did have a Millennium heli, but i dont think it was the West.
like i said, the 50 T1 is for cowled fun flys, and with those fins it might be fine, i'll find out for sure.

Expect a bigger engine soon
Old 07-29-2002, 01:47 PM
azuz

Default Magnum problems

HI all magnum customers.

Well this Magnum is one hell of a beauty..... when u look at it, at the shop.........Simply Ballistic..... is what the caption goes..!!
Unfortunately I am not really impressed with it , performance wise...looks wise its one hell of a beauty ! to keep it in your Hangar. But where it claims the performance i dont think its that fast. A fellow flyer who has the whole set with the engine and all flies it at the field here...it seems that he is quite happy with the performance but i have never seen it fly at 200 MPH ever ...... even at full throttle ! it soars may b at 100 mph only ( wouldnt know never gunned it ) ! Coz i had seen one guy fly a rapier that was faster than the magnum ! Well i bought it Honestly coz of its looks and thats why i didnt get the engine and all that coz i have a Q-500 JETT engine, ordered especially for this plane.

About the magnum, as all the posts here claim the fake CF covering...... then the push rods...... the ailerons.......etc etc... so on and so forth. Tells us all about the quality.

Customer service from ALAN is lacking in a major way. ( Ignored mail )

The plane needs a set of landing gear -tri style. just like the KOBRA OR THE PATRIOT......! for ppl who live in non grassy areas !

Coz beleive it or not you cant throw this plane and expect it to fly if u are having a sport 40 engine or so. It needs more that that to go........like the WEST 50 with a 2.8 BHP. (mktg strategy) !

I guess if they devote more time and energy to make the product lighter or with better materials it would have been better product afterall.

Oh yeah last but not least.......the canopy on my magnum is slightly bent toward the right if u look at it eye to eye. there is a dent in the fibre glass fuse aswell...which came when i bought it for the ppl who would think that i must have done that !

The first time i flew it it just stooped down after the throw and never recovered most probably coz of the down thrust... which i am sure i didnt know until i read this forum.

I really hope that the co. does something about the quality of this aircraft. If they want to survive in this competitive market. !

I mean you have planes like the whiplash....... DD ....... Sig wonder ....... shrike........ that are capable of matching this particular aircraft.....and the quality is assured !

conclusion... The aircraft is selling due to its looks and the ad.. that reads........... capable of 200mph !!! surely if there is anyone who denies this fact and says he has bought it for the quality doenst knows his planes !

But its a beauty looks wise !! :stupid:
cheers
azuz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19333_10948.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	9125  
Old 07-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Lee Cox

Default Magnum problems

Hi all,

Well from I guess the other Magnum owner in Dubai......

a) Yes, I agree my Mag is not doing 200 mph..as I have still got the 9x6 prop on, run the engine very rich to keep it slow, and use 5% nitro fuel...as I don't want to go any faster until I feel fully comfortable with it.

b) Possibly one reason why you are not happy with the plane is the huge amount of additional plywood you have added for skids.

c) I have seen at least 2 Magnums, with os 46fx on and normal muflers flying very well in the U.k...stable and fun. No problems getting these into the sky!!

d) A simple dab of super glue will sort out any lifting transfers.

In conclusion..... A great plane, been given very good service from all the folks at Weston U.K...even re ..packaged the plane so I could get it on the airline back to Dubai.

Each to his own.
Lee
Old 07-30-2002, 10:57 AM
azuz

Default Magnum problems

well

I was talking about the People who dont personally know ALAN

Talking about the skids.....well i am sure they are lighter than the aluminium sheet you got on yours ...

let me know when you are gonna lean it up coz last time i remember you tached 19500 RPM on your WEST engine. When the max RPM is 21000 only........

lol
azuz
Old 07-30-2002, 11:12 AM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Azuz,

I agree this is not a 200mph plane right out of the box. However, I believe it is still one of the fastest ARF's sold. I figure around 150 - 160 mph. If you are not in this speed range something is wrong. If you ever come to the states, stop by my local field and I will show you what a stock Magnum will do.

Regarding the engine thrust angle, I've stated here before if you play in the extreme speed realm, you must be able to set up a plane properly. I would have exchanged or returned the plane if I though it wasn't built properly. I have jets that cost many thousands of dollars more than this little plane with bigger manufacturing faults. If you can't fix them...send it back.

Mark M.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:29 AM
azuz

Default Magnum problems

MMallory

Well the problem is that I have got it imported from the UK and I dont have a dealer or agent for this particular product locally, so sending it back and exchanging it is out of the qs. Well Honestly i didnt even bother to think to return it coz i didnt get replies to my email from Weston UK, I dont think there is any garuntee i would have got a new one back !.

I dont think any thing else is bad on my magnum except the dented fuse... the covering.... the ailerons.....

Well let me fit the JETT engine coming next month to give u my comments on the flyin bits......

And if you happen to pass by the city of gold .. (dubai)
do gimme a shout... i will give u a demo what a WM combat model ZERO can do

lol
azuz
Old 07-30-2002, 11:57 AM
MMallory

Default Magnum problems

Azuz,

I have a video at home of some great flying there. I can tell you, you guys sure know how to have fun. Best luck with the Magnum!

Mark
Old 07-30-2002, 12:02 PM
azuz

Default Magnum problems

Thanks..

You too

Aziz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.