Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa USA enforcer

Mark, using a trust tub on the back of the Dynamax fan with a smaller diameter at the exit point will give you more speed but it will take a little longer on the TO.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Citabria/Decathlon Brotherhood # 1
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Spring air retracts are the best on pneumatics retracts they will come down with almost no air in the tank, an easy way to find a air leak is to pull the retracts out of the airplane assemble them then submerge it under water and cycle them to find the air leak.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark, the efficiency of the Dynamax comes from the the air flow in front of the unit not been interrupted or disturb by an engine, pipe mount or any thing else that's the why the intake ducting on the tractor fans is very important, it has to be very efficient.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cars II is correct on the efficiency of the tractor fan, they do not reach full efficiency until ram air effect kicks in. The tractor accelerates the air coming into it, the more air in the more performance. They accelerate slow but have a high top end. One of the problems with the tractor is recovering speed, hard banks kill speed, and if you decelerate to much on a landing it hard to get the speed back.

On the other hand, Pusher are the opposite, ram air does nothing for them, they need high volumes of air. the accelerate fast and recover speed quickly but don't have a high top end.

I haven't made up my mind yet on the elevons/ailerons question yet. I currently have the servos installed to run the ailerons and need to add one more for the elevator if that the way I go. I can run elevons with it as is right now.

You caught that didn't you Car, the reason I haven't rounded the leading yet is I'm considering adding the forward wing section. The term is a cranked arrow wing. This will also move the CofG forward some because it creates lift further forward and basically turns the plane into a lifting body design. The first plane I did this to was a very scary first flight, with it balanced as per specs on the plans it was tale heavy, had to move the CG 1.5 inches further fwd to smooth it out.

The neat thing about the wing extensions is it changes the landing angle of attack, 20 to 30 degrees nose up, looks cool and once the mains touch down you hold that and let the nose drop on it's own. basically a space shuttle landing. It is almost a harrier landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Almost no air? That is why they are called "Spring-Air" the air keeps them UP, if there is none/not enough air they automatically lock down Unlike my Rhom-Airs which retracts nicely but with little or no air, stay nicely retracted [X(]

The best way to test SA's is what Mobileraptor did, retract them then see how long they STAY there...

Cheers all-

Some day I'll find a Byron Enforcer---
    Revver #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have gentleman at the field that does nothing but large scale planes, he always takes off on his wheels and they always go up nice. BUT he usually ends up belly landing. The best is when he's got enough air to open the gear doors but the wheels don't come down and then the doors won't close.

Parts go fly-in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, It looks loke an abundant amount of people have answered your primary question.

Here is my two cents worth. The ENFORCER, depending (of course) what engine you install onit is GREAT. That 14" prop is really impessive when you hear it whirring away as it comes in for a flaired landing.

On the other hand, I have built the FORCE ONE on 2 other occasions going back as far as the late 80's. The first time I built it, I used a .40cc ENYA. When it flew by the radar gun, it was doing almost 60mph.

This was way back in '88. I am building it again as I am typing this, but with the aid of the internet helping to provide lots of answers to any questions I might have. In fact, EACH time I have "scratch" built them.

That being said, I have scanned the plans so that I can print them any size I choose. Currently, I am just about the point of putting in the servos.

I have taken the FORCE ONE's plans and printed them 2x. That now gives me a wingspan of 72". All in all, that really makes the plane 4 times the sq. area.

A 1.20 four stroke "might" be big enough to handle it.

By now, after many months I'm sure you have made up your mind on how to evaluate all the comments but nevertheless.. enjoy the DELTA WING
    Definition of COMPLIMENT:

Sometimes a matter of FACT
    More than not, a matter of TACT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another question for you guys.
    The elevator and ailos have only around 1/2" of movement and looking at the width of these as in
    3", id say that at the front end you have only a tiny amount of movement on the 2 snakes meeting
    each other. So if i set my T/X on the "end point stop" that means the front wheel barely moves
    a tad ...or am i wrong. Is the extra servo worth the bother?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I take by your post your using sleeved pushrods as per the plans. First I'm going to comment on two things, Delta wing aircraft are very sensitive to control surface movement. Second with the size of the surfaces it is not going to take much throw to make them work.

That being said, The amount of surface throw is proportional to the speed of the aircraft. In other words, you need more surface deflection a low speed and minimal throw at high speed.

So as in setting up this airplane I would set it up with 20% more throw than what the plans call for on high rate. I would the set my low rate at the recommended values or 40% less then the normal throws. I would also set my high rate expo at around 70% and my low rate expo at 50%.

With this set up, your would start your first flight on low rates, once in flight see how it feels, if it feels sluggish and slow to respond switch to high rates and see how it feels. if it is to snappy on high switch back to low. Depend on how it feels I'd make my first landing on low rates unless they were plan mushy.

Sense I use high grade servos on all my control surfaces I try to set up everything a 100% atv this leaves me room for adjustment up or down by adjusting the ATV.

The high expo will give you a fine control around center stick but still give you max throw at max stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was reading somewhere in the maze of ALL the comments that there is a lot of oil from firewall back. I remember that when I built a FORCE ONE some years ago there was indeed a huge amount of oil in the aft section, so I placed some rubber hoses from the muffler into a 90 degree elbow and ported the exhaust right thru the wing. The rubber hoses actually threw all of the oils straight down!

This worked VERY well. Not too aesthetic, but effective.
    Definition of COMPLIMENT:

Sometimes a matter of FACT
    More than not, a matter of TACT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second Mobileraptor on the control set up, on my JHH Mirage I had just a tad or about 3/16 up/down on the ailerons on the low rate, for the elevator it was a little different I had more travel here, 5/8 up/down and I used a lot of expo to keep it under control.
    Landing is very interesting since you can bring with the nose up and keep it there, here you will need a lot of Elevator the Expo is really nice at this time since you don't have to move any switch to get more travel.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As im doing mine as per destructions, im a tad bothered about the 1/4" strutts that support the fins as they seem very weak should you catch the fin on the way out the house to put in the car. Of course no ones ever done this have they. Ill bet a pound to kick in the AR$e that no matter how big or how small, when you come down the stairs or go from room to room theres allways summit that hits the door/wall whatever and you hear "crack". So should i beef em up from the side and put a slab of 1/8" across to stop the spars getting knocked off?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My vertical fins do seem a little flimsy to me...I don't know if this is suppose to be like this, but mine has 2 little tabs that allow the fins to be removed easily. They haven't come off in flight, but I wonder if that little "wiggle" coming out of a roll is caused by the fins being a little loose...

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wiggle how?..dutch roll or fish tailing .....food for thought ..still stickin here at 00:22...like ya do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's like it fishtails just a little coming out of a roll..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

now thats weard as i watched an L39 Jet do the same thing last sunday but was the first flight ....bare in mind it was a turbine but the owner said the engine was not aligned right and thats at the back as well.... hmm....still gluing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never really seen a delta fly before, so I didn't know. I'm thinking I need to play with the thrust angle a little bit...I have to put in right trim to make it fly level. I've had to put quite a bit of down-thrust (the back of the fan is pointed up), because I had a problem of the plane pitching up when I reduced throttle...almost like it was tail-heavy. It looks like about 3 to 4 degrees of down-thrust.

I sure would like to try a turbine on this plane...I'm not really happy with the perfomance with the fan unit, since I'm not really able to make a duct coming out of the back of the fan due to the fan unit being a tractor fan (Dynamax)...pipe and motor are in the way. The sound of a 24000 rpm glow motor doesn't sound like a jet...and I'm REAL tired of changing glow plugs (they last about 2 to 4 flights).

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should try "Hydraplanes" ..the plug lasts 15 seconds .....off ta bed now as changed shift
    never enough time to do that last bit ya wanna do before ya go to sleep..oh well.

cheers n beers. Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark sorry to hear about your discontent on the D/F Dynamax, here is apic. of my Turbax (much like a Dynamax) with the trust tub on it, may be it will give you some ideas, if you don't have an OS header I'll give you one of the many that I'm not using you will have to get an old Tom Cook pipe go to the jet forum and ask for it and a pipe retainer from Top gun Models TGA to hold it to the engine, this way you will be able to mount a trust tub.
    About the glow plugs I'm sure you are using the Mcoy's # 9 the standard plug for the D/Fs if they are been burned after only 4 flights it may be that you may be running the engine to hot they should last at least 10 to 15 flights 15 been the limit.

CARS II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kh17700.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	139334  
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the tub. This is what's going to be riding on my Enforcer that I may say is on the way as of yesterday. I like to help you if I can on the set up of the fan unit and can provided pictures to give you some ideas.

CARS II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32193.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	139335  
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The pictures help alot...Thanks. I'm jusr worrying about putting more weight on the back of the plane just where I don't need it. The DF conversion added weight to my plane, mainly from added weight to the nose for balance. I had an incident this week where I was flying, and my pipe mount broke, and the pipe fell off (it survived to fly again). The plane was sooo much easier to fly with that weight off the back of the plane, even if the power was down. It's not that the plane is tail heavy (it's actually nose heavy)...but it's weight so far in the rear of the plane. It doesn't sound right, but I can't argue the results...

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...And I am running the McCoy #9 plug...and the plane is actually a little on the rich side. It could have something to do with our altitude...we're at 4400' above sea level, on the edge of the White Sands Desert. Normal planes need more motor up here because of the power lose brought on by the altitude. Maybe the ambient heat has something to do with it.

I'm really just whining because I want a turbine. Another member in our club has a Rookie with a Jetcat P-80...it is sooo neat!!!

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a sport jet and a turbine go with the Stingray from Yellow A. and a Wren 54 it is a really good combo. The Stingray is a small sport jet plane that sells for $370.00 and you can get it from Tam ( Tamjets.com ) and the Wren from Jet Hanger Hobbies Larry wolf, if I was ready to do it I will go that way.
    I Will be starting construction on the Enforcer by next week but I already build it in my mind with all the changes to convert it to D/F With the Turbax fan/K&B 7.5. I will try to build it as light as I can so I get good performance, I will post some pictures too.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the changes I will be doing is to add a "cheater hole" to provide the fan a good stream of air at all times and attitudes, you will not be able to see it in flight.

CARS II
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on the Byro Blaster, or the Byron powered Enforcer. I have been flying one for several years now and really like it. I have a jets web page and the entire construction of my model is on it. The link to my web page is;
    http://members.cox.net/jluptonjets . You will find the construction article under the Repairs and tips link. There is also some notes regarding the balancing of this and other models.

A note to those adding retracts to the Byreo Blaster mods. I used what I thought was a decent sized 1/4 inch plywood mount for my retracts. The only problem is transfering the loads to the rest of the structure. I did add light ply doublers to the two ribs the gear mounts are attached to. I have since had to repair that area twice as the gear was torn out in two hard landings. It would not be overkill to go to aircraft grade 1/8 plywood ribs where the gear is attached, and by all means, sheet the entire wing. The byro Blaster is very fast with the OS .91 and the extra weight will not be a factor.

regards,

Joe
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

AMA # 8870, Member since 1978.
    Waco Brotherhood # 219.
    P-40 Brotherhood #8.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast