Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash Launcher Shots

Old 06-21-2002, 02:20 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash Launcher Shots

Heres a couple of shots of the improved whiplash launcher using the extender rods.
These were added for the low power engines, they come with the kit but the guys flying the high performance engines probably wont need to install them.
this first shot is the launch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15040_1023.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	9656  
Old 06-21-2002, 02:21 AM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default pic 2

another launch shot
the object you see under the plane is the shuttle that rides on the rods falling away from the rods and whiplash.
this shuttle keeps the nose straight in the launch.

all pics courtesy of Ron Eisner

Name:	15042_1023.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	9657  
Old 06-21-2002, 02:26 AM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default pic 3

heres a shot of the speed trap used to get a speed reading on this whiplash equipped with a standard OS46FX, with a Macs pipe, turning 16K rpms in a 10-15 mph cross wind.. we have another shot of this plane doing 149.7 mph, imagine a good tailwind!!

Name:	15043_1023.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	9658  
Old 06-21-2002, 06:10 AM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see the launcher on your website but, is it available for delivery now? Does it also serve as a stand and hold the Whiplash sufficiently for pre flight and engine tuning? I ask because it's the pits to try and plan on a buddy to be there to tune an engine. I know some will say you can do it by yourself but, to hold this thing down (with a hot engine), position and read a tach, work the throttle stick, adjust high end needle and get it right is a bit much for me alone. I like to drive home from the fly field with all my fingers intact and not dripping blood all over the inside of my truck.

ps - thanks for the decals.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default speed trap

BAGOSTIX can you give some information and cost of the speed trap that you were using.
Thanks, Bob
Old 06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default launcher

The launcher in specifically designed to hold the whiplash in place while you start , tune, or whatever, it will not come off of the launcher till you remove the saftey pin and step on the foot pedal.

delivery is running approximately 1 week or less, there is some assembly required, 1 hour approximate assembly time.

on the speed trap, its a unit we have had for a while, I'll see if I can get some info on it..
Old 06-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash

Thanks for checking on the speed trap. I ordered a whiplash last Thrusday I believe, the said about 30 days I hope not as I just lost my Shrike last Sat.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:26 PM
RossiRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What prop?

BAGOSTIX, what prop did you run on the FX for your 146 mph run?
Also, is that a Macs or Performance Specialties/Nelson muffler on the FX?

TIA
RR
Old 06-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Speed and Speed Trap

Rick,

Those are outstanding numbers for a 46FX. That's about the fastest I've ever heard for a sport 46 powered model.

I really need to get my hands on one of those speed traps. I have installed the EMS-Jomar airspeed and rpm digital data logger on my Diamond Dust but cannot seem to get a reliable reading with either one of them. Peak airspeed reads exactly 130 mph all the time no matter what. I may not be going the 200 mph I thought I was according to Andy Lennon's chart but there is no way I am that slow with a Jett FIRE 50. The rpm logger isn't working out either. It reads exactly 34, 400 peak all the time so that can't be right either, the engine turns 15,500 on the ground.

I'd be very grateful for any information regarding the speed trap. I searched for a web site on the company but couldn't find one.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Noflyzone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Prop for OS46

The prop used for the OS 46 was a 9-7 APC. turning around 16,200 on the ground. The Speed trap is made by r/c model research in Odessa Texas. It was purchased in 1995 and have no idea if the guy is still making them. Click and enlarge the image of the speed trap photo. The phone # is on the face of the readout panel. Hopes this helps you. We'll be flying a new Whiplash with a new Jett 50 this week some time. Will post the speed results afterwards. Should be interesting. By the way, what prop are you spinning on your Jett 50? The RPM's sound very low on the ground...

Dan, ACM
Old 06-22-2002, 11:27 PM
RC_Junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looked at the Jett website but can't figure out which .50 everyone is using on the Whiplash. Please clue me in and I will order up one, I want to see how fast I can get this Whiplash cookin. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:51 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default jett 50-

Will its the Bar Stock version, Jett Fire 50....

by the way,have you flown the whiplash yet?
Old 06-23-2002, 12:15 AM
RC_Junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, with my MVVS standard .40. Only two flights, broke the only two props I had on landing, just got to get the hang of it (wasn't sure how slow it would go before stalling) . Will get more props tomorrow and fly again on Monday. It's very fast and stable, mine needed more elevator and less aileron, was trying to work on trim more than speed for the first flights. Couldn't fly it for more than a few minutes, had my heart beating too fast. Give me a couple of days flying it and I will post a full report of my experiences.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:26 AM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default broken props

Are you killing the engine before landing? if you time your prop right so that it stops horizontal, you shouldnt break any props at all.. some folks set up the engine to kill with trim or kill switch, some people run it out of gas, your choice, it has very stable slow speed characteristics by the way, its a floater.. but keep the nose slightly down and airspeed up and cruise her in... we got to a point to where we land 10 feet in front of us... no walking
let us know how you like her
Old 06-23-2002, 12:49 AM
RC_Junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the prop clocked to stop horizontal but, I think I just didn't kill the engine soon enough and brought it in too fast, I'll just have to work on it. I've flown a lot of no landing gear planes so I know the drill but this thing was such a "RUSH" I just couldn't get it all together the first two times. Thanks for the Jett info, will call and talk to the guy on Monday. I really want to shut - up some Diamond Dust guys that's been ragging on me since I choose to go with a Whiplash.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:15 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MY WHIPLASH SEEMS TO HAVE NO BAD HABITS. I FLY IT TO I RUN OUT OF FUEL BRING HER AROUND TO LAND, KEEP FEEDING UP IN IT TILL I HAVE FULL UP AND SHE COMES IN NICE AND NOSE UP. SOMETHING THAT IS FUN TO DO TO ME IS WHEN I MAKE I HOT LANDING AND I FEEL SHE IS ON THE GROUND GOOD I FEED IN FULL RIGHT OR LEFT ALIRON AND MAKE IT DO 360'S. THE ALIRON WILL DRAG ACTING LIKE A BRAKE ON THAT SIDE.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:31 AM
RC_Junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really don't feel that it has any bad habits, I think it's just me getting the feel of it. The 360 thing sounds really kool, I'll have to give it a try after I get a little more time on it.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:00 AM
Noflyzone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jett Fire 50 Bar Stock

Hello,

Ran a new Jett 50 w/ the Jett Pipe on the launcher this evening. Used 15% Nitro with 18% oil mix. Cut down 8.8-9 APC. (Jett has the info on these props, as well as the info for the best sizes for the 50... Motor was turning well over 19,000. Ran it inside...Bad idea...Bad Headache now too...Will get some speed trap runs in this next week...FYI...Custom tuned pipe mounts now available for the Jett 50. Check out the web site next week for details...

Dan, ACM
Old 06-23-2002, 03:55 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Props and speed trap

Dan and RC junky,

Duh.. When I looked at that picture I didn't even pick up that phone number. I guess the lack of parenthesis around the area code and that slash just made it look like a model number or something at first glance. I'll call on Monday and see what's up.

Regarding those props, keep in mind we are talking 10 pitch "oversquare" props so 16 or 17 thousand rpm is pretty good. I run a long quiet pipe which in theory increases the torque and allows higher pitch or higher diameter props. The downside of course is that it is not a full nitro pipe so I am giving up some rpm, especially with the small pylon props in the interest of noise control.

As far as the Jett 50's are concerned guys are running either the Sport Jett 50's with the side mount sport muffler or the Jett FIRE (front intake rear exhaust) which is a little bit stronger. No matter which Jett 50 you use you will wind up with a very fast airplane. The fastest airplanes use ducted fan motors, racing 40 motors or Jett FIRE 50's with tuned nitro pipes turning tiny pylon props at 25,000 rpm on the ground.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:41 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default : )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...06&forumid=162]
Old 07-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Snaggs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jett-Sport .50 information...

Actually a pretty good combination for the Jett .50 is what I'm running. I have the Jett-Sport .50 (side exhause) with the Q-500 muffler. You can get the Q-500 muffler for this engine for $15 more. Dub will send you two sets of instructions for it. The Jett-50 and the Q500 spec sheets. He said to use the Jet-Sport 50 manual for the engine, but use the prop selection chart from the Q500 spec sheet. According to the sheet he said to choose a prop that runs at least 19,000 on the ground. I had an APC 8.75x7.0 (D1 pylon racing prop) and right out of the box it turned 19,200 on the ground!

Our jaws dropped when we saw what it did right out of the box! That Jett .50 is the most incredible engine I've seen to date for its size. The engine is on a similar plane and will go vertical outta sight in no time. It's like grabbing a tiger by the tail.

If you don't want to spend the bucks to get the BSE FIRE .50 and the pipe, then this is a great alternative!

Still breaking in the engine on this one... I can only imagine what it's doing in the air when it unloads!
Old 07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I must be overpropped. My jett fire 60 and pipe only turn a 9x8 at 17000. I see people using 9x10 on their jett fire 50. My launches are very lethargic. Im going to try an 8.8x7.5 i just got in the mail. I also have a new radar gun to get real speeds. Will post tach and actuall speeds when i fly next week. Somewhat dissappointed with my setup so far.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Snaggs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Over propping...

j,

I have a Rossi Q500 .40 engine on a Q-500 airplane and was running a 9x7 APC prop on it. Sometimes it'd come up on the pipe, other times it wouldn't. It was real flakey like that. I moved to a 9x6-1/2 wood prop and she comes up on the pipe every time. Even though it's a smaller picth prop, it's turning more RPM and really flies with authority.

Several people I've talked to about running the 7 pitch prop on the jett .50 say that is sounds like a small pitch. Oddly enough I ran an APC 9x7 sport prop on it (C-2 prop, instead of the D-1) and it was totally different. Maybe part of it was that I'm still fine tuning the mixture on it, but the 8.75x7.0 D-1 APC prop works the best for me. As the engine starts to break in, I'll try to up the pitch on it to see what happens. The pylon props are worth the money that you spend for them. I had to buy 4 more as my Jett .50 appeared to be stressing them out at the tips. Even when it comes in dead stick with the prop level.

-Snaggs
Old 07-24-2002, 11:30 PM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

remember the balance is critical.