Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot First Flights and Bird Strike

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot First Flights and Bird Strike

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Snakers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot First Flights and Bird Strike

After a lot of blood, sweat, and CA fume induced tears, my Patriot finally took to the air. I have to say while not a difficult kit to build, it was very time consuming. Here's the specs.

YS 45
Macs 7.5cc pipe and header
Hangar 9 mech retracts (very nice)
Hayes Slimline 16oz tank over wing

Flies awesome. Very fast and stable and tracks like it's on rails. My only problem before today (other than accidently retracting the gear while doing touch and gos and scraping down the runway) is getting it slowed down for landing. It's just so clean its hard to bleed off speed. I'm finally getting to the point where i can keep it from rolling off the end of the runway but considering adding another servo and trying flaperons. Anyone tried this?

Today there were what i'm gonna call "turkey buzzards" flying around the field. A common thing where I fly. I never gave them much thought because they always got out of the way. Well today was different. On my first flight after a couple high speed passes I noticed the plane yaw back and forth a few times. I was slightly concerned i was getting interference but everything seemed find so i figured it was just the wind. I continued the flight as normal and landed. The winds were getting a little more evil so i decided to pack it up and head home. While cleaning the plane I noticed a big crushed in area on the leading edge of the wing. For a split second I was looking around trying to figure out whose arse was going to get kicked for stepping on my plane when I screamed out "A *** **** BIRD HIT MY PLANE!" Then my buddy says "Yeah, didnt you hear my tell ya?" I guess I was so concentrated on staying ahead of the plane I somehow missed seeing it and after a few shouts of "LOWER!" and "DO THAT INVERTED!" I tuned the peanut gallery out. I was told I smacked the bird, feathers went flying, the bird went spinning to the ground but managed to recover and landed in the field. This was not a sparrow but a big friggin bird! I'm guessing about a six foot wingspan. For all you tree and bird hugging hippies, I went to check on the bird and it flew away, lesson learned! So here's some pics of the plane before and after the damage. The blood has been removed for the sake of the squimish. Should be repaired and back in the air soon.

If anyone wants a fast, good flying plane, get a patriot. I Love Mine!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59483.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	145068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67035.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	145069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17737.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	145070  
Old 06-19-2004, 06:34 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Patriot First Flights and Bird Strike

[X(]Umm If you didn't notice you hit a buzzard, I'm glad you don't fly around me.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Cool story! Sounds like you both got lucky--- Good thing it wasn't like the "White Tail Owl" or something, I am sure you would get the book thrown at you!

What prop. you runnin'? That looks like a 10x7/8.... Try a 9x9 APC
Old 06-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Glorfindel

Which Prop, rpm did you get with that setup?? I have the same engine-pipe and i only got lower 16XXX with a 8.8x9 prop.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Snakers

Good call on the prop razor! It is indeed a 10X8 APC. I've had a 9x9 in my box for awhile but am still getting used to the plane. Once I get my fingers to stop fluttering while I'm flying I'll give it a try.

It's been several months since I tuned the pipe, but i think I was getting 16,500 rpm on apc 10X8. I'll tach it again this weekend if I get the wing repaired.

Alan