Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

B&D Pneumatic Retracts for Patriot?

Old 06-26-2004, 01:28 PM
WYDAH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default B&D Pneumatic Retracts for Patriot?

Hi,

I've got a new patriot kit that is next in line for the workbench and want to equip it with pneumatic retracts. Since I'm on a budget..(isn't everybody?).. I found this set of B&D Trike retracts at TowerHobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX7110&P=K for a somewhat reasonable price. Have any of you fellow speed freaks used these particular retracts on the patriot or any other planes for that matter? Any comments on the quality or installation? Is there room for the air tank and such or am I looking for trouble with this idea?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62964.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	147611  
Old 06-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: B&D Pneumatic Retracts for Patriot?

I have not used the B&D units but there is PLENTY of room for the air-bottle in the Patriot- My last Patriot had Spring-Air rets. and the install was easier than mechanicals- I put the tank in the area between the radio and wing stuff-
Old 06-27-2004, 06:44 AM
fred685
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first Patriot used B&D. My current Patriot has Spring-Air. I think the B&D are just as good and should have used them again. The problem with Spring-Air is they won't stay retracted when the airplane is stored. I guess it's not a problem, but it's easier for me to store it with the wheels up. Go with the B&D, you won't be sorry.

Fred
Old 06-27-2004, 10:17 AM
WYDAH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

Thanks guys. Sounds like I have the room in the fuse for the air tank, and that these B&D's are a decent setup. I've got a set ordered and will let you know how goes. Though it will probably be a few more weeks before I even get started on the build, unless the weather continues to be wet and windy....[&o]
Old 06-28-2004, 09:47 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will be happy with the B&D gear. I used them on pattern ships several times without any problems.

You may have to work a bit to get the nose gear installed. It is physically bigger than most nose assemblies.

My current Patriot has Spring-Air gear installed. Pleanty of room in there for the air tank and valve and such.

BTW... trick to keeping the Spring-Air gear retracted for transport:

Wing: Purchase a cheap check valve (pet store fish dept, or use a Formost checkvalve), and make up an assembly using 1.5" std fuel tubing on either side of the checkvalve, and then a small length of retract tubing and an extra line connector. This retract tube slides up into the fuel line on the outlet side of the checkvalve. Install this assembly to the wing retract connector. Connect your retratct pump to the inlet side of the checkvalve (fitting generally slides into the piece of fuel tubing) and give it one 'pump'. The gear will retract, and the checkvalve will keep the air in. When you get home, let the gear down for storge.

Nose: 3" piece of retract tube, and a mating connector to attach where the wing fitting goes. Tie a knot in the tube, connect assembly to the mating wing supply line. This acts as a 'plug' for the wing supply tube. Pump and retract the gear as normal, retracting the nose gear. Again, let the gear down for storage.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:51 PM
WYDAH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey,

I bought these B&D retracts and was wondering what people are using for a pump to fill the pressure tank. I see robart has a hand pump you can buy for like $30. Do I need a special fitting of some kind to be able to pump these up? It looks like just a small plastic nipple on the tank itself. I do have a small compressor for like emergency roadside flat tires. Can I just hook up a short hose to that and the tank to pressurize it?
Obviously this is my first set of Pneumatic retracts, so any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2004, 03:58 PM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I use. I have some jump start deal that has a compressor. It works fine and the jump start works great as a field source for 12v chargers.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I have used for a retract pump....... other than the standard robart pump...

Take a sport-ball inflation needle - use a cut off wheel on a dremel to cut off 1/4" of the tip.

Then slide a piece of retract air line over the needle. Takes a little effort, but get it over the needle securely.
Install the provided air tank fill-port fitting on the other end of the tube.

You can then install that needle in either a road-side air pump, or I use a foot-pump used for bicycle tires. Has a gauge on it for refereence too, and it cost about $10 at Kmart.

For these size retracts, it only takes about 3-4 pumps of air and the tank is up to pressure.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 PM
WYDAH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'll let you know how it goes, if I ever get a chance to work on this thing. Probably will end up as a winter project...