Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust Build

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Evil Homer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diamond Dust Build

Just in the process of building my first DD, reading the instructions it mentions there should be two lengths of 1" super coverite in the kit, this was not included with my kit, any suggestions where i can source this stuff.
Thanks
Squid1
Old 06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Diamond Dust Build

I don't exactly know what Super Coverite is (and I haven't examined it closely yet)... but it sure looks like Oratex or Solartex (nylon textile shrink covering)... So I guess you could use something like that.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Evil Homer

Thanks rudeboy, i will get hold of some solartex and give that a try, building time is somewhat limited at the mo due to business comitments but i am looking forward to getting this together.

Power is going to be a Jett sport 40 running on 10% Irvine Comp mix with a 8.8 x 9 prop, tacked at just a shade over 16k on the bench the other day and still needs some work!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Evil Homer

Considering the engine i am using, (not overboard in power), is there any point in sheeting the entire DD to give some additional strentgh, or will this be OTT.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 03:21 AM
C roundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: squid1

Just in the process of building my first DD, reading the instructions it mentions there should be two lengths of 1" super coverite in the kit, this was not included with my kit, any suggestions where i can source this stuff.
Thanks
Squid1
Rudeboy got it exactly right when he said; "...It sure looks like Oratex or Solartex (nylon textile shrink covering)... So I guess you could use something like that."

The 1' wide coverite is an upgrade detail that does a few really cool things for you at a single stroke...

First off here is where and how to apply it; Take a few long strips and wrap them all the way around the airframe directly above and below the carbon tube main spars, one spanwise wrap for each, front and rear spar. That is to say top and bottom of the airframe where the covering will meet it later.
(obviously overlaping top and bottom pieces as necessary to get the stuff to conform to the steep sweep of the leading edge that you are putting it around.)

Having gotten it in place, if you really want to get fancy, take another hour and secure a couple Kevlar cords per spar/strip and adhere them into the matrix. This is the way that Jeff Gilbert "Mr. Diamond D. himself" does it when he is building for EXTREME power setups.

Then..., before you lay your covering down on the airframe, you prepare the upturned side of the "coverite etc." with the lightest of coating of "BalsaRite" or some similar heat activated adhesive.

The whole idea, and actual result is this;

1) Increased rigidity of the airframe, especially during absolutely insane gee maneuvers.

2) Huge reduction of "drumming" sound and the drag associated with it at the highest velocities.

3) Better tracking everywhere in the flight envelope because of the increased rigidity.

4) Hmmmm. how to put this..., Say for instance you are not the most meticulous person in the world, if you fail to inspect/repair your covering after a bad landing with a truly extreme speed power setup; when you rip around the course on your next flight you are way less prone to catastrophic failure, and therefore a much better ambassador to this segment of the wider set of aeromodeling sports...

Best Regards, Chuck Roundy
Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Evil Homer

Chuck
Thanks for the sound advice, i will take head, i can get Solartex over here, however i have not seen any of the Oratex so i will go with that.

Done quite a bit of work on it, should not take to long to complete. Yeah Hah!!!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:07 PM
drdavis

For you guys who have built the DD kit, is it a difficult build? I mean, looking at the pics of it, it doesn't look like there would be much building at all.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:59 PM
FlooredCOBRA

No it is very easy to build. It is like building a kite with an engine pretty much. The spars act as a jigs since you slide them in the drilled holes on ribs. It can be easily framed it in no time at all.

You will spend more time covering and installing/setting up radio in it than building.

I will be building my 3rd Dust here shortly.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 AM
wagas

I find them easy to build, easy to cover, easy to fly and easy to crash....But a Ton of fun!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Evil Homer

What fuel tanks you fellas using in your DD, only thing that fits nice is a 4oz, but that will give about 3 minutes on a Jett 40
Old 06-16-2004, 04:08 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I used a 4oz and a 2oz, side by side..

Old 06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Evil Homer

How long does that give you on that monstor!!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

LOL it's just an OS 46 VRDF..the pic makes it look bigger. I can't really remember, I augered that plane in a couple of years ago. Maybe 4 minutes??

Old 06-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Evil Homer

Nice lone star scheme!!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I used a 6.oz Sullivan Flex tank and used a heat gun to flatten it down. I heated up the front part and got it looking fairly smooth with the front of plane. There is a ....well was a little rise to it but looked much better to me than having it exposed and sticking out of the top of fuse.

There is a picture in my Gallery on how it looked. Fun plane now she may R.I.P.

It was a 6oz. to start with but after I mushed it down some I am not sure how much that took away. I had my timer set at 2 1/2 minutes run time. After that I had about 1-2 more passes before it ran out.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:36 PM
3D plane heli
My Feedback: (1)

HELLO TO ALL
THE COVERITE STORY
THE COVERRITE IS THERE TO HOLD THE ULTRA COTE TO THE AIRFRAME AND TO KEEP IT TIGHT,AND TO ADD SUPPORT FOR THE COVERING.I FLY FOR JEFF G.AND DEMO HIS AIRCRAFT,ONE AFTERNOON WE WHERE TEST FLYING A NEW CLIPPED WING DUST WITH A MVVS GRRT AND IN A HI SPEED DIVE THE COVERING STARTED IMPODING ON IT'S SELF AND THE AIRCRAFT WENT INTO A BAD BUNNY HOP AS JEFF WOULD SAY (JUMPING UP AND DOWN)AND THE CONTROL SURFACES COULD NOT TAKE IT AND AS WE ALL KNOW THE OLD SAYING (ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST)SO JEFF WENT HOME AND FIGURED OUT HOW TO OVERCOME THE PROBLEM AND THATS HOW SUPER COVERITE WAS BORN IN THE DUST KIT.THE COVERITE IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO GO FAST AND STAY TOGETHER.WELL TILL THE NEXT TIME (WILDSIDE RC)DIAMONDDUST DEMO TEAM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44018.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	144104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	144105  
Old 06-16-2004, 10:57 PM
C roundy

ORIGINAL: squid1

What fuel tanks you fellas using in your DD, only thing that fits nice is a 4oz, but that will give about 3 minutes on a Jett 40
On my clipped wing D'Dust, I used the 8.5 oz Tettra bladder tank. It just barely fits between the back of the motor mount's plywood backing plate, and the front of the front carbon mainspar.

The cool thing about this setup is that I was not just carrying around ballast, but instead I could actually run out every last drop with perfect fuel delivery.

With my slightly[sm=wink.gif] modified Jett FIRE 50 needled to turn an APC 7.4x8.25W carbon practice prop at 23,800 rpm on the ground, I almost always flew full throttle right to the instant it was out (about 4, 3/4 minutes later). The engine was always in perfect full song right to the last second when it would just instantly stop firing, that is to say no leaning or sputtering whatsoever.

I ran 15% nitro, 20% oil, and consistently got about 20 flights per Nelson H.D. glowplug.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24450.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	144115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96896.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	144116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13947.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	144117  
Old 06-19-2004, 07:18 PM
edgreenlee
My Feedback: (314)

where do you get one of those bladder tanks?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:46 PM
C roundy

ORIGINAL: edgreenlee

where do you get one of those bladder tanks?
Here ya go: TET4020 BUBBLESS TANK 240CC 8.5OZ$18.95, available from www.centralhobbies.com .

If ya want me to, when I can make more time I will talk you through the procedure to use bubbless (bladder) tanks successfully.

Best Regards, C.R.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
drdavis

Okay, I have a dumb question, but I have a piece in my kit that I can't identify, and I don't know where it goes. It is 1/8 inch plywood with a rectangle cut out on one end. Can someone tell me what this piece is for? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Evil Homer

I think that is a plate which can be used for a switch mount, at least i hope so!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:50 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Engine mount maybe? It has a rectangle slot cut out for engine to rest in.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think he means the bulkhead that goes between the tank compartment and the radio compartment... that's what I used it for anyway... I assume the hole is to feed the throttle servo wire into the radio compartment...
Old 06-24-2004, 11:31 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Hi everybody,

Have not been online for a few weeks. Internet at work is now restricted so I have to use this slooooow box here at home. My question is: Does anyone know where I can purchase a spool of Kevlar thread to use on the DD's? I'm almost out and have not been able to locate a source. Thanks for any info. you may have.

Bill
Old 06-25-2004, 03:29 AM
C roundy

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Hi everybody,

Have not been online for a few weeks. Internet at work is now restricted so I have to use this slooooow box here at home. My question is: Does anyone know where I can purchase a spool of Kevlar thread to use on the DD's? I'm almost out and have not been able to locate a source. Thanks for any info. you may have.

Bill
Hmmm, I need some myself at the moment. I haven't looked yet but I'm pretty sure the last couple I bought 5 years ago were either from C.S.T. (Composite Structures Technology), or A.C.P. (Aircraft composite products).

Try a quick search of their websites. If that doesn't get it, let me know and I'll damn well find it for you; as I am going to need some myself soon anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.