Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

going for speed

Old 07-15-2002, 02:00 AM
flybike

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default going for speed

This is my first post on these boards. I have a fair amount of flying experience, just not fast stuff. (sport 40 size, electrics, gliders, etc.) I am in the process of designing and building a quite fast airplane. I dont want a delta, for two reasons. The first is looks, the second is I believe I can build a cleaner airframe in the style of something like a quickie 500 racer, but with thinner wing, no landing gear, etc. It will be almost 100% fiberglass, possibly bungee launched? Any thoughts, experience would be greatly appreciated. How thin can I go for that airfoil? Can you run any nitro in the nelsons, jetts? Symetrical airfoil? Thanks Hans
Old 01-11-2003, 05:35 AM
red baron ozzy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default quickie 500

why are you running no landing gear? with a quickie and a nelson you will be around 200mph. with landing gear! i'm just finishing one with racing wheels from tru-turn(don't order direct you'll never get them)extremly lite and with gear, with a nelson sport i'll be pushing 200+. the nelson at most should only use 15% nitro5- 10% is recommended

let me know how fast you run though, i'm interested.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:37 AM
red baron ozzy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default fyi

for your info, 200mph is a 4sec. quarter mile! thats dam fast!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:49 PM
henryhighwood

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default going for speed

What kind of landing speeds do you see?
Old 01-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default going for speed

If you can do that speed with UC on imagine what you can do without it the only diffrence is you need a club member that wont die if he has to run a couple of steps and let go of the sticks a few inches lower when you land
for me symetrical wing sections mean drag... why do i want to drag two wings bottom to bottom through the air and have to fly at a AoA to get lift when with a flatter bottom section i can be thinner and lift with the whole plane at 0 incidence. just the way the wind tunnel in my head works.
Talking of gliders my next design uses a wing and section derived from an fast electric glider