Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Chipmunk with Saito 120 - advise

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Goldberg Chipmunk with Saito 120 - advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:40 AM
midavide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Chipmunk with Saito 120 - advise

I have just mounted a Saito 120(15x8 prop) on my Carl Goldberg Chipmunk. It's a heavy and powerful motor for the plane, I had to move the battery back under the servos and might have to add some lead weight to the tail. I will also strengthen up the tail feathers by installing a pull-pull system. I can see the control fluttering at full speed on a 120. Has anyone ever attempted to fly this plane with an oversize engine in her? Any reports or advise you can give me? I had this engine lying around(it's brand new) and wanted to use it on one of my planes.

Thx!

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 07:39 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Goldberg Chipmunk with Saito 120 - advise

I have the World Models Arf Chipmunk (which is a clone of the Goldberg model). I'm running a Super Tiger .90 two stroke which would be roughly equivelent to your Saito 1.20.

I love it, and the plane seems to like it also. Just stick with a high diameter low pitch prop and you should be fine. I'm running an APC 15x4 Wide, but you could probably go up to a 16x4 with no problem.

I knew it was a clone, when I noticed the Carl Goldberg Logos on the corner of the decal set that came with the World Arf.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:16 PM
midavide

Hi Dave, I flew her on the weekend(two flights) and she fly's great, although some of the older guys at my flying filed said she was a little overpowered, The young guys at the field loved it! I have to watch the control surfaces at high speed, as I might encounter flutter, so I will tape them this week. She takes off around 10 feet when I gun it, no torque noticeable at all, fly's like a ***** cat at low speed with flaps, however, open her up and WOW, unlimited vertical! I bring her in using flaps. I had great landing/s, one on dead stick, although a nice headwind was on my side. I am running a 15x8 master airscrew(k series prop). Landing gear is a little weak for such a heavy plane, have a 20 oz tank in her.

Good flying!

Dave Excell
Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds great. I originally has an O.S. 91 Surpass on this, and it just wasn't enough. Now I gotta figure out how to trim the rudder and elevators in the center so I can get more throw! If you hadd too much rudder or elevator throw, they run into each other.

I'm thinking about move my rudder servo to the back to help with the heavier engine, and possibly going to a different elevator linkage. The "Y" setup on the World version is a little weak....