Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

255 MPH DD NEED FOR SPEED NITROUS OXIDE KIT

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

255 MPH DD NEED FOR SPEED NITROUS OXIDE KIT

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 PM
comtech001
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 255 MPH DD NEED FOR SPEED NITROUS OXIDE KIT

Well hi all…
Say you have the need for speed ?? Well I was at a fly in over the weekend and there was a guy there flying a DD on a mvvs 45 with pipe and get this a nitrous oxide injector kit on it that’s right nitrous!!!! He was clocking at over 255 throught the speed traps with it ..
He also was flying a Q500 same nitrous kit at well over 175 on an LA40 … the kit is easy to install and can be moved from one plane to another at the field

If you would like more info Email [email protected] I can tell you how to get the full kit they are selling for only $120 everthing you need is in the kit to ramp up that speed plane

Have a great one just thought you all might like to know about this one
Rob
Old 07-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 255 MPH DD NEED FOR SPEED NITROUS OXIDE KIT

This is interesting...

Tell me: how do you meter the nitrous? And how do you pump and meter the fuel...?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:57 PM
FlooredCOBRA

255? how much higher did that engine spin over max rpm rating to get that number?

How would you prop that? load it like normal or slap on a thick pitch so when you do decide to hit bottle the extra power would be put to use. Only thing is it would lugg around off the juice.

I just dont see much fun or point in bottle on a plane... a few flyby squirts and back to stock form. Then have to go refill bottle again.

I would rather just spend a little extra and buy and engine that perfoms.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://jagrc.com/
Old 07-09-2004, 06:59 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

there was a guy there flying a DD on a mvvs 45 with pipe and get this a nitrous oxide injector kit on it that’s right nitrous!!!! He was clocking at over 255 throught the speed traps with it ..

Seriously, everybody would agree that nitrous oxide is the wrong strategy to reach that kind of speed. Why push an ordinary sport engine for a few seconds above its structural limits risking a blowing connecting rod etc? When using a non-speed engine like the MVVS .45 I assume the DD pilot did also mount a regular APC pylon prop potentially hurting somebody when throwing a prop blade. That would not be safe!

Now, let’s imagine the following setup:

DD airframe + MB .40 FAI engine + F3D pylon prop

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~fiorimet/Index.htm

Being the current most powerful F3D engine the MB .40 spins the 7.2*8” CF prop at 30 K static. Even after unloading during a powerdive it’ll be tough to reach 255 mph with a competition F3D airframe. So just recall mounting that engine/prop combo on a DD. What do you think, will the DD airframe be aerodynamically superior to a competition F3D airframe? And do you really accept the idea that a nitrous oxide doped MVVS .45 exceeds the performance of a stock MB .40? Well, I don’t. Actually I do mistrust the speed numbers given in post #1.

Referring to several car discussion forums some R/C car drivers used nitrous oxide injection for fun purposes so far. The modern high performance .12 to .27 sized R/C car engines do withstand these short-time loads much better than our relatively "slow-going" aero engines (including JETT, ROSSI,...). You won't do your aero engine a favor while injected by nitrous oxide.

A much more consistent way to gain serious speed has been described e.g. in the thread

Few variations of planes? (Post No. 13)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1815237

In the past I performed some extensive testing on different own airframe designs to prove for best possible aerodynamic solutions leading to satisfying speeds.

Result: Besides the project-oriented optimal engine/pipe/prop combo it is the airframe & airfoil that in most cases needs "research work".

Together with a knowledgeable buddy we also designed different carbon speed props. To achieve the target speeds the goal was to increase the degree of efficiency (also of the inner prop part) and to minimize losses (e.g. at the prop tips due to transsonic or supersonic speeds).

To come back to the original topic: Don’t waste your money on gimmicks like nitrous oxide injection but rather safe your bucks for a true high performance engine effecting long lasting pleasure. And grab a pencil and design your own custom speed plane.

In the long run that’ll give you substantial satisfaction and success in terms of what you define as „ultimate speed“.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:45 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

LA40 powering a q-500 at the same velocity of a very competitive AMA 428 Q-500 ?

Can't say it didnt happen..... I wasnt there. In this world anything is possible. Lets just say a large number of years of experience and engine knowledge has tossed up a bright red flag.

The last time I recall seeing a radar gun reading of 255, the end of the nitrous injector tube was inserted into my left nostrile....
Old 07-09-2004, 08:05 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

LA 40 at 170 mph

Now thats funny. I doubt the bushing in that engine could handle close to 20,000 rpms, and thats what you'd need to be turning a 9 pitch prop to hit 170mph on a Q500.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Rudeboy

Oh come on guys... we know it isn't true, and so does he...
He's just trying to shake 120$ out of the pockets of some poor fellow...
Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Evil Homer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange on the Jag RC site it is $95 shipped!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Convair340

I don't want to start anything, but doesn't the AMA code forbid the use of gaseous boosts?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:49 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds like fun to me. I don't care how well made the "world class" bottom ends are, any engine that is pushing 255 MPH will need periodic changing of the rod and close inspection of everything else. I see no reason why a bushing engine couldn't take 20,000 with enough caster oil. If a guy is handy it isn't that hard to whip out a batch of hard aluminum rods. I would plasma coat the tops of a dozen pistons, and that should be an ample supply for a good amount of demo flying. I can remember a time when an average guy could raid the local wrecking yards for hemi parts and run TOP FUEL [successfully], so I totally understand the logic behind hot rodding an OS LA, I sure wouldn't want to do it to my RO$$I[X(]! As far as the AMA is concerned with this, I just wouldn't invite them to come along.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I would just be happy getting my K&B 7.5CC to run properly---

And IF I were going to attempt 250+ I would use the composite WHIPLASH rather than a DD- I can just see one little corner of monokote starting to come off [X(] the DD
Old 07-11-2004, 11:54 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think a DD that is covered with a light rip stop like MICAFILM would hold up. From what I hear the WHIP is quite a bit heavier than the DD [after painting]. Multiply the extra dead weight by the G forces at 170 MPH and I will bet the DD performs much better all around. I would send the plane up first with a 7.5-10 prop and work my way back from there. Without seeing a system, I guess the nitrous could be introduced along with a seperate fuel supply that is bladder fed through a remote needle valve. A servo would have to be dedicated to controlling a fuel line pinch. I can't wait to actually see how this guys' system works! Supercharged engines don't need radical timing to perform well, another good reason to choose a mild engine for this.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:47 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Methinks there's a WEE bit of a calibration problem here. F3Ds don't go that fast.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Dave_Gherardini

"I don't want to start anything, but doesn't the AMA code forbid the use of gaseous boosts?"

AMA? What do they have to do with it?

9" pitch to flow a Q5 at 175 would take at least(min buy my calc and exp) prop turning 25K ,,, and it just clarify that would be a pitch speed of 213. it might be possible to get the ship moving 175 with that kind of pitch but would take more diameter to get the thrust to get there. (straight and level) I never dismiss a claimed top speed untill it gets unreasonable math wise. From there, I just need to see it to believe it. And sometimes the math is outdated.

I would like to here more from Comotech but it looks like hes bowed out of this thread he started

BTW,, the MVVS would have to turn 10" pitch 35K just to get the DD to 255. ? is it possible?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:03 AM
Kysi

need some speed? build your plane around one of these babies
Old 07-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Evil Homer

Now that should be fun, bench running would be kinda interesting and would need shares in Shell Oil to keep it in the air
Old 07-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Kysi

thats kinda be hard to make a plane strong enoough to take that kind of power. youmay want to go for the twin engine design instead to balance out the trim. i have another pic, same hanger, with about 10 engines.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

original: iskandar taib

Methinks there's a WEE bit of a calibration problem here. F3Ds don't go that fast.
Correct, as I stated before: Even after unloading during a powerdive it’ll be tough to reach 255 mph with a competition F3D airframe.

In 1999 we clocked 229 mph with a F3D airframe, the old style RIRE MB .40 engine and a 6*9 CF prop. I am convinced when taking the actual MB .40 FIRE engine combined with one of the actual top end F3D airframes (e.g. the German DAGO RED INNOVATION) terminal speeds will end up to approx. 240 mph after a powerdive...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: Dave_Gherardini

BTW,, the MVVS would have to turn 10" pitch 35K just to get the DD to 255. ? is it possible?
I think you math is off a little... If you can turn a 10" pitch efficiently it would have to do around 30,000 to go to 255
But hey, the guy is running an MVVS on nitrous for heavens sake! Probably turning an APC 13x13 at 20,000+...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Evil Homer

Aghhh!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Rudeboy

Squid...

The thread is titled: "255 MPH DD NEED FOR SPEED NITROUS OXIDE KIT..."

Sounds like miles to me...
Old 07-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Evil Homer

You are right, not reading properly again
Old 07-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: comtech001

Well hi all…
He also was flying a Q500 same nitrous kit at well over 175 on an LA40 … the kit is easy to install and can be moved from one plane to another at the field

Rob
WOW I have neva heard of a LA40 putting out the kind of horsepower needed to pull a Q500 to 175.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Yeah funny how some people go about advertising things. The fella that started this crap posted then left post.

He was at a fun fly spectating this NOS system and has all the specs MPH numbers and an e-mail address to contact him to purchase. It seems that if he was trying to make a Buck he would fill in the blanks a little and answer some questions. This thread is about as anoying as a POP-UP that says "you won 60'' plasma TV."

Plain old BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.