Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Another shot of Tequila...

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Another shot of Tequila...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 AM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another shot of Tequila...

Was about 2 clicks away from ordering a Kangke FD3 for my .32sx that recently became available, when I rememberd the LHS had a old Tequila Sunrise .25 in a box collecting dust. I figured what the heck I'm up for a challenge, brought it home for 1/2 the price of the Kangke. This is actually my second one. I retired my first one when I needed the Norvel for a club racer. Don't believe all the horror stories, there mostly from pilots in a little over their heads. It's fun to have one plane in your fleet that actually takes a little skill. Tried to keep it light with a Macs pipe, Electron Rx, 270mah, and a mini throttle. But it still feels like a brick as usual. Haven't flown it yet. I wanted something that would smoke my buddies new Quickie ARF / 40fx. I hate Quickie's. A plane should look like a plane. Unfortunately Quickie's are about the only go-fast planes around the Phoenix clubs. All of the fields are either pavement or dirt. Neither of which is very kind to Whiplashes, DD's, Shrikes etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12591.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	105817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46501.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	105818  
Old 02-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another shot of Tequila...

Edh13,

Can u tell me more about the muffler you're using ? I've seen that kind of muffler several times but I can't figure out the brand ...
Old 02-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Oodles

Looks like a Macs one-piece muffler--Makes great toteing handle
Old 02-28-2004, 10:34 AM
edh13

Yea, it's a Mac's pipe. It's not tuned pipe, it's more of a top end muffler. On my .40's it performs a little better at top end than the stock Tower muffler that everybody loves. But it's about half the weight and size.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an interesting piece of information. Thanks Ed !
Old 02-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well- I hope you had good luck with yours.... I had one years ago and it was the worst put-together ARF I have ever had- It literally fell apart on the first flight... And it was a brick!
I don't think I was in over my head but I do think the airplane was garbage- maybe they have redesigned it---

You can beat a quickee with that airplane?
Old 02-29-2004, 12:09 AM
edh13

Yea,
I remember you from an old old thread. I think, other than some stripes coming off (standard ARF problem) you never really said what fell apart. They haven't re-designed it because this new one is as over-built and heavy as the first. I wish it wasn't, that's what makes it a brick. You could use the fues for a baseball bat. Sorry to doubt you but if you said this thing flew funny, tip stalled, rolled out of high G stuff, landed too fast, fell out of the sky on a dead stick, was ugly or smelled funny. I couldn't argue. But this is by far the most solid ARF out of the couple dozen I've put together. No, I could never keep up with a Jett like powered competition Quickie. I just want to shut up my buddy who has FX powered Quirkier ARF. Don't know, I haven't flown this one yet.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Good luck to ya! I HATE to trash talk airplanes because it could be a "lemon-factor" where I got a bad one.... It was at least 10 years ago- Most of the covering came off on the first flight or two (Don't remember) and it was just way to heavy-

I had an OS-25 or 28F in it that screamed-

There is a gentleman at our club that flies one and it flies great but lands like a pair of pliers- [X(]

Cheers!
james
Old 02-29-2004, 12:36 AM
edh13

Pair a pliers

I really don't know why I like this plane. It's the exact opposite of all my current 3D'ish planes. Satisfaction of getting it up and down in one piece with 5 minutes of fuel in a full pattern on a short bumpy dirt runway, I guess.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:36 PM
edh13

Well, flew it today and it's still in one piece. Kind like sex; four minutes of sweating, making funny faces and pure satisfaction when it's down. It moves, zero to spec in about 7 seconds on 5%. Stalls are perfect, got it allot slower than I thought I could. One real bad habit is rolling left(?) out of a high speed medium to hard pull. I thought it would have rolled right if anything. The motor, pipe and throttle servo are on the right side and the elevator control horn is on the right side. It's nice and square. Static it balances perfect lat and long with no weight added. Guess I'll have to split the elevator and trim it out that way. Or just live with it, no high speed panic pull outs. Doesn't roll noticeably when slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13717.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	106432  
Old 07-19-2004, 07:16 AM
flyday

Hello there

Could you guys tell me where the C of G is located on the Tequila Sunrise?

thanks

John
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 shots of Tequila,
Flying .40 size with OS.50sx
hanging from the rafters 1/3 done .20 size with MVVS.28

if i get tired of the whiplash~Jett 50 and Roo~RAM750

I just might find a RX for the second shot