Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

King Kobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 PM
AWAC_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Kobra

Hey guys, been out of the hobby for about 3 years, Last airplane I had was a GP Patriot, the old ARF one. I hated the airplane. I had a very slighly rough landing and totaled it. It wasn't built very strong in my opinion. Too much plastic parts. Anyways I bought a king kobra the other day and i'm trying to decide what engine to run in it. Are these regaurded as good planes anymore? Some guys at my old club had one, I seem to remember them running a 1.20 in it. I could be wrong, can you run an engine that size in one? Any suggestions? I would like the most bang for my buck, the Jett engines are way too expensive for me. I can't afford a 300 dollar engine right now. I would really like to enclose the tuned pipe, anyone ever done this before? Also any helpful hints on construction of the kobra would be nice, it looks like it will be pretty hard to build. I would like to reinforce the wings too. From the instruction booklet, looks like they won't be that strong if I don't do something extra, i've folded a spectrum wing once and I don't want that crap to happen again.
Well sorry for so many questions, I hope to hear from you guys!
john
Old 07-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: King Kobra

Rossi-60
Old 07-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have many engines OS 91, ST 90, Jett 90L and many others. I've had a few of the ST G90's. and I'll stack that thing up with any 90 out their except the Jett. Good price and great power. I would consider at least a .90 size engine. Rumor has it that Thunder Tiger came out with a 90 or will.

I do not know of anybody local with the GMS or Irvines but check around.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:26 PM
jlchapman
My Feedback: (5)

John,
The King Cobra is a really quite a simple plane to build. The reason I say that is the wings are sheeted foam and the fuselage builds easy and quick. The turtledeck and cowl are plastic, just need some paint. The wing doesn't need any reinforcement from my experience. One thing I did on mine was run two aileron servos. This can be done by putting two side by side in the center of the wing and use the torque rods. Or put them out in the wing and cut a channel thru the foam for the servo wires. I would not even attempt the rear exhaust thru the fuselage on this plane. I remember a article where I believe Col Art Johnson did that on the Kougar, might of been the twin Kougar, which is real similar in construction. I have two King Cobras, one with a OS60 tuned pipe, retracts and also a second one with a YS91 four stroke. The retracts take a little extra work but sig tells you how to install them. On the YS91 installation I made the cowl a little longer to be able to fit the longer four stroke. These are really great flying planes. These planes will fly fast and slow down alot for landings. I think you will really enjoy flying and building the King Cobra. If you have any questions on building it let me know, I'll be glad to help.

Jerry #67
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 AM
AWAC_pilot

Thanks very much jl chapman for the info, you just gave me the motivation i need to get started on this airplane!
thanks again
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The King Kobra is an awesome airplane. In the current world of ARF's, it is a largely overlooked but good flying machine.

Build it per plans, no modifications needed. The sheeted foam wing is pleanty strong. Dual aileron servos might be the only thing I would ad, but even those are optional.

a 1.20 in it ????? Any of the "60" size engines will keep you happy. Some good suggestions above. You can pick up a Rossi 60 for a good price these days. The "60 case" big engines such as the ST90 and OS91FX are also good choices........as will be the TT90 (When the airplane version hits the streets). You can always install at Jett-Stream muffler to any of these ... extra performance, bolts right on, no tuned pipe hassles.

The KK has a somewhat short landing gear (especially if you go with retracts), so you will want to stick with 11 or 12" props regardless of your engine selections.

The King Kobra I had (1990?) was powered by an ASP 61 equiped with a Hatori pipe and underwing header (pattern left-overs). Flew at 7.5 lbs, spring air retracts, with good ole rev-up 11x7.5 up front. Had pleanty of power and performance. Flew just fine with the stock muffler installed too. (of note, that ASP 61 performed as well or better than any of the OS 61 FSR engiens I flew in pattern back in the mid 80s).

If you want to get the best speed out of it, retracts and the Jett 90L is the way to go.

Bob
Old 10-17-2004, 07:53 PM
CadFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

Well I put a YS .61 2-stroke in mine with a pipe. IT SCREAMS! I would say if you can find one of these old YS .61 2-strokes that would be an excellent engine choice.
Cadflyer
Old 10-17-2004, 09:10 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

I am in the middle of building my 4th King Kobra(Each time I build a new one someone wants to buy it) But I confess I did stuff #3 I am putting a brand new no longer made YS 61 AR RE with a Macs fuselage type header so the pipe and header clear the side of thr fuselage no problem. I am installing a set of Rhom Air retracts. I am fiberglass the plane and painting them in white, red and blue in Thunderbirds color just like all the others. I mail ordered all the decals to make the T38 Thunderbirds scheme. I am doing # 5 as always lead solo

I have also built two Kougars one with retracts and an OS46SF pumper with a Macs 7.5 pipe it was the fastest one I ever built.
I will post it when she is done,
Viper
Old 10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
CellTech

I have a King Kobra kit that I will be installing a NIB Super Tigre X-61 rear exhaust engine. Looking for any comments from this combination.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

just for info..... there is a real nice looking King Kobra in blue angles paint up for sale on (estuff). Has a Jett 90, retracts, servos.... looks clean. Do a search for jett in the rc section.