Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OK Help me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Help me Decide

I am putting together a delta, Laser Arrow(I know not the fastest of the deltas). I was going to go with an OS 46sf with a full Macs tuned pipe(I already have the pipe, so I am looking to stay in the .45-.53 range). But it looks as if this engine, although good, won't be able to give me the kind of performance as say an MVVS .49, Magnum .52XLS, Irvine .53, or a YS .45. So help me decide, I want to get the most speed as possible. It looks as if Macs makes a header for most of them, so what's everyones opinions? I am looking for top speed and reliability.

Thank you,
Allan
Old 03-17-2004, 12:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: OK Help me Decide

HI PMB! If you can get access to one of the hotter engines that are setup for a pipe, get the intake and exhaust timing numbers from those engines. The tools you will need are a degree wheel, and a 1/8" carbide rotary file on a DREMEL or a die grinder, a marking pen, scribe and a steady hand. Another way to free up a little lost power is to convert the bearings to a retainerless, full compliment type.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
PigMan Buggerus

Wow, I don't think I am looking to make any modifications to the timing, ports or whatever. I was just looking for a suggestion on which of the engines that I listed would make the most speed. Thanks for your reply though. Oh yes if there are any other suggestions on engine brand, I am welcome to hear those as well. I have pretty much ruled out JETT engines though due to the price.

Allan
Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 PM
miskin

PigMan Buggerus

you could try a west .50V1 with pipe looks nice and it sure does screem

[link]http://www.westonuk.co.uk[/link]
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
PigMan Buggerus

Isn't a West a modified Irvine or Webra?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopped up Webra...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:26 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Dont forget MVVS GRRT also. Thats whats been yanking my Dust around and does it fast
Old 03-18-2004, 08:10 AM
PigMan Buggerus

Would the GRRT be faster than the .49? It is only a .40. Also, I was looking at the Rossi .45. Has anyone out there run a couple of these side by side? I would love to see some numbers.

Thanks,
Allan
Old 03-18-2004, 12:52 PM
strong

I have the YS45 and a weber 50 both with pipes.I'm sure you would be happy with either because they both are very strong and powerful engines.But the weber turns up and puts out unreal rpm's.I have a 9-6 prop on it and it's amazing and the instruction say's to use an 8-8 prop and shorten the pipe and it will turn up even more.....I MEAN IT SCREAMS.But the YS will also turn out super rpm's with bigger props.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:18 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Would the GRRT be faster than the .49? It is only a .40
Yes it would be faster than that .49 Matter fact it would be way faster than a .49. When you get into the racing engines there is a huge difference compared to a cheaper sport engine.

The GRRT is rated at 2.7 hp and turns 26,000 rpm's. Mine tacs at 25,000 on ground and it unloads a quiet a bit more in air. If you ever seen a hot engine run before you would see what I mean by running much faster. But this is not an engine you put a 10x6 prop on it and stick it in a plane and expect to go fast. The porting timing is done way different compared to a sport engine. Plus it is made to run on full length pipe only and run props that allow it run run up on pipe. The piston itself is much bigger than a sport .46 plus the connecting rod is shaved and streamlined with bearings at each end instead of copper bushings.

When I got my first Diamond Dust I put a OS 46 in it to get used to the way it flies. Later I put the GRRT in and totally kills the 46. Its like comparing a Pace car with the a full blown Formula One car. There is no comparing and two totally different ball games.

Only down side it eats plugs pretty quick and goes through a 6 oz tank in 2 1/2 minutes. With my .46 I could go for 8 to 10 minutes.

Dont get me wrong the MVVS 49 is a good engine but wont be anything extreme or have that WOW to it.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:00 PM
PigMan Buggerus

After further Consideration, I think I am going to go with the YS 45 with a full pipe.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Allan
Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM
jlindqui

Let us know how the YS45 does and which prop you've found to be the fastest. I'm getting ready to throw one on a Weston Magnum and am curious about the prop.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:08 PM
PigMan Buggerus

I didn't end up getting it yet. Finances are slowing me down. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Allan
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

My Arrow has a Jett 50 FIRE and MAC pipe and is great fun. I estimate a speed of around 130 based on flights in the past with Q-500 measured on radar. It's a fat pig and needs lots of horsepower. I'm turning 19K on the ground with an 8.8 x 8.75 pylon prop. I keep the elevon travel small, and use differential, and it is very manageable.