Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rocket assist airplane

Old 08-04-2004, 06:27 PM
rightflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rocket assist airplane

I have friend who wants to use rocket engine on hisp rop driven plane to get maximum speed. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rocket assist airplane

I've heard about it (in here)... but have never seen a succesful attempt in these forum or anywhere else.

But it takes more than just a little ESTES engine to get a plane moving.

And remember that a turning prop can also be a very efficient airbrake. Accelerating your plane past the "prop wash speed" is going to take a lot of thrust!

Maybe on a really hot hotliner with a folding prop and a ESC equipped with a brake... power up, dive to make speed, power down to stop the prop and make it fold, ignite the rockets and hang on... Something like that...
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 PM
air mail rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure your not by dry grass or trees. You could start a fire.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think it was two Estes rockets on a Shrike 10. This was discussed in detail a couple of years ago. maybe the member will see this and chime in. As Rudeboy points out an important issue, this may be more for show then go.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 AM
iskandar taib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's been all sorts of stuff done, including a scale X1 dropped from a scale B-29. If the rocket motor stays with the airplane and isn't launched from it, and if the motor is not above G impulse, it will not violate the AMA safety code. If the motor is larger than a G, and if it's launched vertically, it is technically a High Power Rocket, and you can fly it at a HPR launch under their insurance.

There are lots of rocket motors available that are a lot bigger than Estes offerings. Not cheap, but with the advent of reloadables, not highly expensive, either.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Carl.E

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hahahahaha..... ah, the memories.

Mike, that member was me. I had a Shrike 10 with a 25FP for starters..not fast enough. MVVS 28 with a rear pipe, better, but I wanted more. Estes D rocket engine in the back with an electronic switch made from a servo control board to fire it using a spare channel and the servo battery. Now we're talking.[8D]

I started off using C-sized motors to make sure my thrust angles were good enough to keep the plane from doing anything funny when I lit the rocket, then moved up to D's. I don't remember how much thrust they put out, but it's plenty to see the plane accelerate from full throttle and hear the engine unload even more when it's touched off. My first one just had a balsa wedge with the rocket mounts epoxied on top between the fins. That one had a spectacular crash when the spars in the left wing failed during the 5th or 6th time using the rocket boost. I built another using spruce spars and LE's and integrated the rocket mount into the fuse right under the elevator, keeping it as streamlined and as close to the thurst-line of the engine as possible. I had an E-sized mount in it, but couldn't find any E's, so I stuck with D12's. (E motors are the same diameter and D's, just longer) That one worked great, but ended up going straight in at full throttle when it didn't pull out of a split-S. I found the remains of that Shrike and took a picture to show the rocket mount.

After the 2nd one went in I'd had my fill of speed for about a year or so.... then I built a Diamond Dust. I'm on my 2nd one of those now too now that I retired the first one after over 100 flights. No rocket boosting in those though.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49153.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	162453  
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
soinks
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Carl I enjoyed your thread (blog) I have 40 size shrike with a os 46 on it and a performance specialties tuned muffler which is kind of fast but a friend has one with 50 Jett on it and we are challenging each other for the fastest. I thought if I put a rocket assist boost on it that would do the trick. I see that you have done it with some success can you tell me what you did to get it to work? I'd appriciate any info. Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You wont believe the sound that an F or G rocket motor makes, LOL!
If you strap one or two of them to your 40 sized Shrike for a test flight.
#1 Make sure every thing in the area is wet so you don’t start a fire.
#2 You have shelter.
#3 Very few spectators
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Mike Connor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: soinks

Hi Carl I enjoyed your thread...
Carl hasn't logged into RCU for over a year so you may want to PM him to see if he is still around.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Carl.E

Hahahahaha..... ah, the memories.

Mike, that member was me. I had a Shrike 10 with a 25FP for starters..not fast enough. MVVS 28 with a rear pipe, better, but I wanted more. Estes D rocket engine in the back with an electronic switch made from a servo control board to fire it using a spare channel and the servo battery. Now we're talking.[8D]

I started off using C-sized motors to make sure my thrust angles were good enough to keep the plane from doing anything funny when I lit the rocket, then moved up to D's. I don't remember how much thrust they put out, but it's plenty to see the plane accelerate from full throttle and hear the engine unload even more when it's touched off. My first one just had a balsa wedge with the rocket mounts epoxied on top between the fins. That one had a spectacular crash when the spars in the left wing failed during the 5th or 6th time using the rocket boost. I built another using spruce spars and LE's and integrated the rocket mount into the fuse right under the elevator, keeping it as streamlined and as close to the thurst-line of the engine as possible. I had an E-sized mount in it, but couldn't find any E's, so I stuck with D12's. (E motors are the same diameter and D's, just longer) That one worked great, but ended up going straight in at full throttle when it didn't pull out of a split-S. I found the remains of that Shrike and took a picture to show the rocket mount.

After the 2nd one went in I'd had my fill of speed for about a year or so.... then I built a Diamond Dust. I'm on my 2nd one of those now too now that I retired the first one after over 100 flights. No rocket boosting in those though.

Carl

I wonder if the elevator servo failed in flight? Stripped gears or bent linkage
Some servos or anold servos have low holding torque... Split-S =Lawn dart!