Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DIAMOND DUST RADIO RECEPTION

Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DIAMOND DUST RADIO RECEPTION

I have an E-Clipse 7 from Hitec two years old this month. I have a Diamond Dust that I just replaced due to a nasty crash, however I used the same engine and reciever in the replacement. I was trimming out the maiden voyage and ran out of radio range at about 400 feet. Luckily I was able to shut the throttle off and the unit fell to earth without any damage to the plane. I change to another used chrystal and a Supreme 8 reciever and still had the same problem, my son carried the plane out to the failure piont and sure enough, at 400 feet the unit either locks up the controlls or they jitter frantically. Since that unit had experienced a crash in it's life I decided to install a NEW chrystal and Supreme 8 receiver, still the same problem. Since I have multiple models, In an attempt to eliminate my transmitter as a posible problem, I changed models and carried another model 300 feet past the failure point where it performed perfectly with the same TX. I have not changed the rx battery as of yet but have drained and recharged it. A modeler told me that the bat might be damaged and putting out rf so that will probably be my next step however, I'm curious about the chrome ultracoat I covered the bottom of the plane with. The hobbie shop states, can't be part of the problem, but I'm not convinced. Anybody have any ideas about my problem or the chrome Ultracoat possibly being the culprit?
I also posted this in the question forum but thought some of you speed demons might have experience with this issue since it was a DD.
Thanks for you input.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DIAMOND DUST RADIO RECEPTION

Get a base loaded Deans antenna... The Carbon Fiber may be messing up the receiver's reception. Although not too common with the Dust, that may be your problem. You need to get the antenna on a different plane than the carbon. ie: vertical antenna, horizontal carbon. You might want to check the reception with the antenna out of the airframe, with it sticking straight up and down above the upper wing surface. If it works, get a Deans antenna and mount it vertically thru the top hatch.

Good Luck.

Dan
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I read your post right you have changed everything but the receiver that has been in a crash. I would send the receiver in to be checked or if you like to gamble just take it out of the plane and do a range check.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Mike and Dan

Mike,
I have tried two used receivers and now have installed a new receiver along with a new chrystal. I don't have this problem with the other plane I fly off of this tx so I ruled out the tx. This thing is driving me crazy and it does'nt have to drive me very far to get there.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:11 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where is your RX antenna routed in the aircraft ?????

just to confirm, the range issue still exists with the engine NOT running ??

Bob
Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been testing my range issue with the engine not running. I have my son haul it across the field on his ATV and we test after he stops his engine and he stands a few feet away from the fourwheeler so that it cannot interfere with our testing. Also the antenna is routed in a circular manner inside the airframe per the DD blueprints. Since I had crashed the original, the replacement was built with all carbonfiber tubes in place of the two glass tubes normally used on the leading edge. this could be a problem, but my son's is made the same way with no problems. The major difference is I tried chrome ultracoat for the first time on mine, he is not covered with the chrome.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you may have created a shielded antenna installation inadverntatly.

make sure the antenna is not coiled up, and does not double back over itself anywhere.

best advise....get the antenna out of the fuselage. Let it trail at least half of the length.

There were instances years ago where chrome monokote cause radio issues. The newer radios are a bit more immune to these problems though. But since you noted that was the only difference....... it is likely the cause.

perform a range test, tx anteanna down. You should get at least 50-60 feet.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:13 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Bob

That's what is ironic, I can do a range check of around 75 feet with the mast down and it will check good. However with the mast extended my recieve quits at about 400 feet.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to everybody for your help concerning my radio problem. I moved the antenna away from the Chrome Ultracoat and it began working perfectly. As a result I'm going to strip the plane tonight and recover with something other than chrome.

Again thanks to all for your help.