Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

First Dust ready for a spin...:WOOHOO! :D

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

First Dust ready for a spin...:WOOHOO! :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default First Dust ready for a spin...:WOOHOO! :D

Now let's hope weather and work cooperate!

I originally intended to put my West .50 in it, but after putting everything on the scale I opted for a Webra Speed .32.
The plane comes in at 1135 grams (roughly 2.5 lbs) dry with 2 Hitec 605 servos, one Hitec 85 and an 800 mAh battery. Should be a blast at this weight.

The little Webra has a Jett Stream muffler, a Dynamix carb and turns an APC 8x8 quite happily.

It won't be a speed demon, but I hope it will be a great plane for an "up close and personal" kinda flying style.

The only real modifications I made were the use of "real" hinges, and glass fibre pushrods instead of steel (much lighter and stiffer).

The checkered film was a bit of a challenge to get down without too many visual flaws. I didn't get it 100% correct, but it looks ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27684.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	164702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80253.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	164703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59167.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	164704  
Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Dust ready for a spin...

That is a purty light bird- let us know how it goes...
Old 08-17-2004, 02:21 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice job RUDEBOY! 2.5 pounds, hot .32, you will have lots of fun with that combo.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Rudeboy

This thing is fun!

Like I expected, not a speed demon... but still good for something like a 125-130 mph I guess. The little Webra turns the APC 8x8 at about 17000, and it unloads very good in the air.

Didn't have to trim anything! It just flew right out of my hand. I just released it almost straight up. It rolls slightly to the left due to the torque, but then it picks up speed, and just keeps on going.

I maidened the plane during a 30 minute break in the funfly competition.
After a flight or two to get used to the handling I brought it down to the deck for some "banking and yanking"... and I had a crowd... I love it
There were like 15 people asking what that thing was... what engine... what's that exhaust... what prop... how fast do you think it's going...?

After today, I don't think I will ever put anything heavier on a DD than this Webra .32. This thing needs to be light.

The only downside is that I'm quite sure this plane is not going to last long. It is just too tempting to pull off some crazy stuff, and that is bound to go wrong sooner or later.
But if this one goes in, I WILL get another one. In fact, as of today, I think I will never be without one...[>:]
Old 08-22-2004, 05:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My feelings exactly, gotta always have a DD. I'm amazed that they are relatively unknown by the RC crowd.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

After today, I don't think I will ever put anything heavier on a DD than this Webra .32. This thing needs to be light.
Rudeboy,

Yep, the DD is good for a real rush and a big grin. It is hard to beat for a crowd pleaser. I however have had two and could not imagine it with less then a Jett 50 [>:]. My second one came out at 2 lbs and 12 oz mt and it seemed plenty light for over 500 sq. in. of wing.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor
My second one came out at 2 lbs and 12 oz mt and it seemed plenty light for over 500 sq. in. of wing.
With a piped Jett .50...? WOW! What hardware did you use...?
I'm already thinking about a second one... same power plant, but a couple of light digital mini's on the elevons, and a super light battery (perhaps lithium with a regulator)...
With proper hardware it should be possible to bring this thing down to close to a kilo.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Glad you are having fun Rudeboy!

The nice thing about a Dust over the pylon birds........is that people dont expect you to make left turns all the time
Old 08-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

With a piped Jett .50...? WOW! What hardware did you use...?
It was a Sport Jett 50 with the SS muffler. Two hitec 225 BB, one JR micro, JR 600 receiver and a 600 Mah batt. All CA glue except for a little epoxy on the fins to allow time to set the angle. The engine would turn a APC 9x8 18,000+ static. I suspect your 8" prop may allow thrust to equal drag a little early.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10655.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	166819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55999.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	166820