Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

fastest prop

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Sarsipius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fastest prop

I have a shrike 15 that i modified to carry an os 40 that I had sittin on the shelf....I've been flying it with a 9x6 apc and it's fairly fast but I was wondering what you guys think would be the fastest prop for this config.....would 10x6 be any better or maybe 9x5, 9x7?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:19 PM
freebird1

Default RE: fastest prop

Hi

I do not use OS, but some of my fellow members do. Is it the LA or the FX. If it is the FX, I would try a 9x8. If you lose speed or do not gain speed I would try a 10x7 and go from there. I have about 20 props I just use to test. You just never know. Have you tride a SuperTiger G-51. Cheap and powerful($89). For the engine you have, I as well as other members have had the best luck with 9x8 and 10x7 with the standard mufflers for speed. GOOD LUCK!

Good luck!
freebird
Old 08-28-2004, 11:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To go faster you need MORE pitch and MORE rpm. More diameter hurts you both ways. A mousse can pipe will add 1300 rpm to the OS 40.The SPADTOTHEBONE web site has a great how to article on MCPs. On that plane you could try an APC 8-8. If the plane launches real well with the 8" prop, try a 7-8 prop. The carb on the LA40 is restrictive, and my LA.40 responded to opening it up a drill size. I also have the C/L venturis, but haven't gotten around to using one for RC yet.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I agree with the 8x8 size props. I am using a 7x7 in mine and it has a .26 in it. I would also try out the 7'' diameter props just to see if it would work. It may or may not. Since the .40 is a bit heavier it may struggle on launching with that smaller size prop. If so go up in diameter.

Keep in mind the smaller diameter props will not pull as hard in your hand. So dont judge power or speed by that.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Sarsipius

thanks. I think I'll try the 8x8 and the 9x8 and see which is better. This plane was just thrown together with old parts I had lying around. It's speed on a budget, if you know what I mean, so a better engine isn't really an option. I just had this old 40fp...ya that's right...fp....laying on the shelf and thought I'd stick it in this shrike. So I don't really expect to get top possible speed out of this plane with this motor but I know I can do better than what i'm getting with the 9x6. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

A 9x8 is quite a bit of prop for that engine... Try 8x8