Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot almost done

Old 08-29-2004, 06:50 PM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Patriot almost done

I bought this kit last year as a winter project, I finally started to build it in June. Just needs the final sanding & its on to covering. As it sits here it weighs 6lb 6oz, The only things left to add are the rx, rx bat, switch, linkages for the flaps & ailerons, canopy, tailcone & covering. So it should come in right around 7 lbs. Using Robart mechanical retracts, YS45 with a Macs tuned pipe. I mounted the engine upright so I would'nt have to mess with the pipe when removing the wing. The air intakes look nice so I put them on, The change I made here was to glue a piece of balsa at an angle at the front of the intakes. Hopefully this will make them more aerodynamic vs the flat front as per plans that would catch air & slow it down. I cut the ailerons so I could have flaps also. the flap servo is mounted at the wing center, the aileron servos I mounted out in the wings. Made a compartment between the ribs & mounted the servos on their sides to the compartment covers. Will be covering it with Monkote insignia blue (Blue Angels) & cub yellow. A couple more weeks & it should be done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50407.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	168631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71171.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	168632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66742.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	168633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49727.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	168634  
Old 08-29-2004, 07:58 PM
andreg00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Patriot almost done

Very nice job. I also started my Patriot last week. The rudder and elevator are done and I almost finished one wing half. I also install mechanical retracts and the motor is a Rossi 45 black head with a Rossi tuned pipe. I did not decide the shceme yet.

Good work !

Andre Gagnon
Old 08-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Be-utiful!

Keep us posted!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Andre,

You are in for a treat... I flew mine with this engine/pipe setup and it will scream!!!

Brandon

ORIGINAL: andreg00

Very nice job. I also started my Patriot last week. The rudder and elevator are done and I almost finished one wing half. I also install mechanical retracts and the motor is a Rossi 45 black head with a Rossi tuned pipe. I did not decide the shceme yet.

Good work !

Andre Gagnon
Old 08-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other than a Jett-50 the YS-45, Rossi-45/53, and West-50's are about as good as it gets as far as 40-50 sized goes---

Heck my current "used" Patriot hauls with an OS-50SX and Tower muffler-
Old 08-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Dave03B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I've done my rudder, elevator and both wings, and joined them and have almost fully sheeting the underside (going to glass it)
Have the West 50 here waiting for it, however with quite a few other project mounting up that are closer to the state of being able to fly, I'm going to shelve my patriot/bandit for the time being. Hopefully resume during the winter.

However I wont be allowed (razor ) to shelve the Westy along with it. I will fly the magnum next with a 53, then after that it will be the westy. No debates, thats final

Yours is looking good. i'm going to mount my west on my patriot upright like yours too, as belly landing on the pipe, well.......it wont like that too much.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:30 PM
HavinFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All that needs to be done is balance & tune the engine/pipe. It came out heavier than I thought it would, 7lb 5oz & she's still nose heavy with the battery mounted as far back as I can. She'll still take about 1 - 2 ozs of lead at the tail to balance. It's got a few wrinkles/bubbles in the covering that I still have to work on, with the contours of the fuse it makes it a bit difficult for a nice covering job. The canopy I dyed with black RIT dye, the U.S. NAVY & the numbers I printed up on the computer & glued it to the monokote & cut them out. The Blue Angels crest & Blue Angels I printed up on SUPERCAL water slide decal paper, applied the decals & let dry then applied a couple of coats of polyurathane varnish to fuel proof them. Another week or two & she'll be ready for the maiden flight.

Name:	Fd91488.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	172624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62566.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	172625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75968.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	172626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25037.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	172627  
Old 09-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Dave03B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

very nice indeed. I'll have to try the "home grown decal" thing

nice job
Old 09-12-2004, 04:34 PM
HavinFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a couple more pics.

Name:	Ki18113.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	172628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68190.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	172629  
Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 PM
jlchapman
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very Nice! I like your paint scheme. I have some of that decal paper but have never tried it yet. The decals look great. You will love your YS45, header, tuned pipe setup. I've run the YS45 setup on my Kougar for the last 4 years with no problems. Good luck on your maiden!

Jerry #67
Old 09-13-2004, 08:39 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks real nice!

The blue angels would be proud
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 PM
HavinFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got her balanced today. Took 2 1/4 oz lead at the tail which brings the RTF weight to 7lb 7oz on my digital fish scale. Will try a test flight this weekend weather permitting.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:16 PM
HavinFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I did'nt get to test fly her this weekend. Had her out at the field yesterday to set up the pipe. This being my first tuned pipe I guess there is a learning curve to these things. I read the setup tips on the Macs, Jett websites & here on RC Universe. At the field I first ran it open faced, APC 9x8, PowerMaster YS 20/20 fuel.Got 16100 rpms. I bought this engine used with a header which has been cut, do'nt know which pipe was used before, the header now is 4 3/4 inches long. put the header & pipe on with about 1/2 inch separating them in the coupler. It peaked out at about 16600 & I backed the NV down to 16000, I thought it was running great so I shut the engine down & let her cool a bit before refueling. Refueled & started again to do a radio check, throttled up to about 8000 rpms for about 2 minutes while I did the radio check, radio checked out fine so as I was walking back I throttled down to idle & she just quit. I was still about 100 feet away, When I got to the plane the engine was very hot. Now I was baffled, would run fine at WOT but at midrange would over heat! Today I reset the regulator, turned it out about 1/4 turn to richen the low end & readjusted the pipe/header so now there is a 1/8 inch gap between them in the coupler, Ran it up & peaked at 17100, set NV at 16300 now she runs about the same temp at idle,midrange, & WOT. She seems to be loading up a bit on extended idles, will try leaning the regulator a bit & hope it does'nt run hot again. With the pipe setup this way it seems to come on the pipe at about 9000 rpm, anything between 9000 to 1100 rpm runs kind of ragged jumping on & off the pipe. Compared to my other 2 stroke engines running the stock mufflers this YS 45 runs a bit hotter, is this normal? Does the pipe setup/rpm sound about right? Should pipe be shortened/lengthened? Any comments please...[]
Old 09-21-2004, 05:01 PM
CHIPINWV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello, Looks like a real good job it me. I like what you did with the flaps and ail. I put oversized flaperons on mine that were twice as big and it flys ok with them. I use the flaps for all landings because of the speed, and it seems to do ok. Your smaller flaps will work also, but I would set them up for a great angle just in case you need them to slow you down. My Patriot came in just under 6 lbs, but I used the smaller light weight servos and hobico retracts.

Happy flying.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:40 PM
HavinFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

6 lbs sounds really light compared to my 7lb 7oz. I think the YS45 is heavier than other same sized engines. Which engine are you using? Actually I was expecting mine to come out tail heavy with 4 standard servos in the tail but I still had to add a couple ounces in the tail to get her to balance.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With the CG @ 8 inches back they are almost always nose heavy--- The YS is slighly heavier esp. w/pipe but my 7.5LB Jett-50 powered Patriot flew just fine-

Keep us posted-
Old 09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
CHIPINWV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, Seems like most of them are nose heavy. I am only using a 46SF so you are probably right on the engine weight. I still had to add 1 oz to the tail. All my componets are mounted on the other side of the servo hatch. (rcvr, switch, battery) There is enough room here to clear the operating servos. I am using the smaller 148DP receiver.

By the way, just what CG moment are you using. Is it 8 1/2 inches back from the leading edge? My Patriot is about 12-14 yrs old, and maybe the CG has changed in recent years. What does your manual say?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Kit manual says 8 1/2 the ARF manual says 8 1/4 inches back- not sure why the difference.

Got any pics of your bird?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 PM
CHIPINWV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep...I have a couple. I'll send you one soon.

Thanks for the cg info.