Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust and RF interference?

Old 09-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Diamond Dust and RF interference?

Is the Dust prone to this, or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm getting some very minor "glitches" (don't know what you call that in English)...
I've got my failsafe set up so that the plane pitches up a little and the throttle goes to idle when I lose signal. So on a couple of instances I got the impression that my receiver went into failsafe for maybe 1/4 second or so. Just a hickup in the engine, and the plane "jumping" up a little, very short, but definitely there.
It always seems to happen when I make a dive for the field... always at the same angle... flying almost straight towards me... when the receiver antenna is completely "covered" by the carbon tubes. I tried duplicating the event, but I was unable to do so. It has happened 2 times over a total of 11 flights today. And one time two weeks ago, the day that I maidened the plane.

Should I stop making dives for the field (might as well sell it then )... or should I route my antenna outside the plane...?

Any insights?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Diamond Dust and RF interference?

Chances are that you are getting into an rpm range in the dives that is vibrating the onboard equipment. Things like switch contacts, servo pots, Xtals, etc. can misbehave around high frequency vibration. I would swap the servos and switch [if you are using one]. The receiver could have experienced a brief power interuption from a failed battery pack jumper, or even cracked circuit board trace inside the RCVR. I think this is a good omen to tear into it and give everything a good look before your next glitch lasts more like 10 seconds[&o]!.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Kaos1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rudeboy,

Is there a chance that when you are diving that you are sucking air from the tank which seems to cause the engine to go to "idle"? I have had that happen in the past. With the nose down, the fuel falls to the front while the clunk remains in back of the tank. Does this happen in the beginning of your flight when the tank is full or only after you've flown a bit? With the way that these engines gulp fuel, it dosen't take long to form an airbubble in the tank unless you are using a bladder tank. The "glitch" could be caused by the abscence of RPM's acrose the flying surfaces due to fuel starvation. I would not be too quick to call this radio interference. I never had any trouble with my Dust like what you are seeing.

Kaos1
Old 09-05-2004, 04:37 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With the nose down, the fuel falls to the front while the clunk remains in back of the tank.
Yes that applies when holding the plane in your hands nose down. But during flight the plane accelerate in a dive pushing the inert fuel always to the back of the fuel tank.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Kaos1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: der_steuermann

With the nose down, the fuel falls to the front while the clunk remains in back of the tank.
Yes that applies when holding the plane in your hands nose down. But during flight the plane accelerate in a dive pushing the inert fuel always to the back of the fuel tank.
Until the plane reaches terminal velocity and is no longer accelerating and speed is constant. There is a point when the plane is no longer accelerating and maximum velocity has been reached. The way that these planes fly, it happens very quickly. Now if you are pulling on the elevator creating positive Gs then the fuel would be on the "bottom" of the tank and the clunk would be submerged.

Just throwing out some ideas.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:51 AM
wilkigmc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A friend of mine had something similar to this too. He re-routed the aerial outside the plane and after that it was fine. BUt don't discount the engine/fuel ideas though.