Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

200+ mph Diamond Dust....

Old 09-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Ramz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 200+ mph Diamond Dust....

Hey everybody. What kind of speeds are you guys getting from your diamond dusts? A local flying buddy has a Diamond Dust with an old K&B 45 ducted fan engine, 15% fuel and a 8x8 apc prop. He asked me if I would do some high speed passes with it so I did. Our radar gun could only rea up to 332kph (200mph) and on all of my passes it was blinking at 200mph (that means it's over 200mph). So for all you guys spending the big bucks on Rossi's and Jett's, you should seriously consider getting a much cheaper 45 sized ducted fan motor (OS, K&B, Rossi) because they sure do scream. We tached it at 22,000 rpm on the ground and boy did it ever unload in the air!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:50 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 200+ mph Diamond Dust....

I just bought a KB 45 RIRE pylon type engine, and wonder what to expect of it. If I can't come up with 22K like you have, then I will assume there are internal differences between the two engines.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Ramz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah those engines should be somewhat similar. The only thing with the K&B ducted fan motor is it is somewhat finiky. It's not dialed in yet and it's only got about 1 hour run time on it so it's not making full power yet. Sometimes is hesitates to get on the pipe but once it hits the pipe it just goes like a rocket. Good luck with your pylon motor. Gimme a hollar when you tach it becaues i'd like to know how it turns out.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:25 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will be sure to give a report on this engine when I get the numbers. The guys who used to run formula 1 pylon should be a wealth of information about what these engines like. Compared to shelling out $$$ for a NELSON or JETT, doing the speed thing this way may be like beating a dead horse, but I'm very encouraged by your report.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 AM
MyWay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The k&b ducted fan engine is strong on power but weak on crank pins. The last one I had had the crank pin press fit into the crank. Guess where the engine failed.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Ramz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

but it's all worth it when you plane is going 200+ mph 4 feet off the runway.... [sm=biggrin.gif]

Yeah I've got 2 K&B 3.5 outboard motors. They are both bone stock. Mine have never had a problem however a friend of mine who has the exact same motor threw a rod and we had a heck of a time finding a new rod. The outboard motors are pretty much the same as the ducted fan motors except they have a water jacket in the head. Other than that they are pretty much the same internally. I guess it all comes down to personal preferance.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Zeroman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have run everything from 3.5 K@B's up to there drum rotor 80, all running tuned pipes and 60% nitro.You get alot of bang for your buck, but if you run them hard throw the rod away and buy an after market one.These engines have served me well for many years and i have won alot of races with them.Chris.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a K&B 7.5CC on a Whiplash but never could get it dialed- it was sitting for quite awhile... I ama sucker for the Jett's and they are easy MPH-
Old 09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish I could have clocked my speed before my wreck. I was always curious to how fast it was. But after the prop flew apart it vibrated like crazy and one of my control rods came off. Needless to say it wont fly with one one elevon.