Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Outlaw maiden flight..ERRR..Crash

Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Outlaw maiden flight..ERRR..Crash

I finally got to fly my Outlaw after all these months. On the first launch attempt it torqued over hard and hit the ground. I wasn't ready to feed all that aileron in and I was also at full throttle.

On the second attempt it took off at half throttle and we tilted it to the right for a bit of built in compensation. It flew rather nicely at half throttle and I had it trimmed to where I could relax a bit and then the engine mount came loose. The first impact with the ground must have done some bad thins to the mounting holes. I made it back to the field and landed pretty close to where I was standing.

The impact bent the header so I'll have to fly it with a muffler until I get another header and stripped the gear on the micro servo I had on thottle. Other than that I should have all the repairs done by tomorrow...here are some pictures of the damage...not too bad:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23627.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	171990   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	171991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86575.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	171992  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:37 PM
petec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Outlaw maiden flight..ERRR..Crash

All the repairs are done except the covering....that will have to wait....and a new header, but I put a regular muffler on it until I get another header.

I have to admit that for as quck as the thing was moving befor the engine came loose..it was a pretty smooth flying airplane.

Any suggestions before I go to field with it again?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the airplane will produce the power, your helper should feel it pulling out of his hands.
With these designs I've always pointed the nose up to a 45* angle and just release it.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Evil Homer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What prop are you running on it, had a similar torque effect on my Shrike 10 running OS32F with 9x6, changed to an 8x8 and take off and acceleration have become a little easier.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:33 AM
petec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It had a 9X6 on it....and it did pull out of my friends hands...I thought the 9X6 would give it good climb performance, but now I know to put an 8X8 on it.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: petec

All the repairs are done except the covering....that will have to wait....and a new header, but I put a regular muffler on it until I get another header.

I have to admit that for as quck as the thing was moving befor the engine came loose..it was a pretty smooth flying airplane.

Any suggestions before I go to field with it again?
Sorry to hear that. I had a friend toss mine into the air for a long time till I got comfortable and the B?#$'s to hand launch. Went with an APC8x7 prop on the Webra 32. I launch holding the vertical stab with my left hand at 1/2 throttle and she floats away with a mild toss (like tossing a horseshoe) With this prop it's still moves along great and spools up nice with tricks.

Also keep the elevator and ailerons on low rates for launch and trip them to high when your out and ready to rock.

Enjoy, I still shake after flying mine it's a real rush.

Pete
Old 09-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Pass_N_Time

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello, Will here, I have an outlaw I am getting ready to build. Do you have any pictures of yours before you covered it so I can get a better Idea of the big picture while I build it. The instructions look ok but I would like to take a closer look at the parts of the plans I am stumped about. I have a Diamond dust with a OS .46 VF motor turning a 9x10 also. Nice flier. I am looking forward to the outlaw with a OS .32 SX motor, APC 8x7 sport prop and a Jerry L Smith pipe. This is what Jerry told me to run. I will start with that. Thanks for your time.

Will
Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pass_N_Time

Hello, Will here, I have an outlaw I am getting ready to build. Do you have any pictures of yours before you covered it so I can get a better Idea of the big picture while I build it. The instructions look ok but I would like to take a closer look at the parts of the plans I am stumped about. I have a Diamond dust with a OS .46 VF motor turning a 9x10 also. Nice flier. I am looking forward to the outlaw with a OS .32 SX motor, APC 8x7 sport prop and a Jerry L Smith pipe. This is what Jerry told me to run. I will start with that. Thanks for your time.

Will
Will,
Here is the link to my Outlaw construction thread. Start to finish how I made both of mine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24.../tm.htm#247421

Hope it helps,
Pete