Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum w/ Norvel AX-40

Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 PM
MrDHEJ
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Weston Magnum w/ Norvel AX-40

Ever since seeing a speed plane i been doing the research, love the looks of the magnum, but i havn't seen anyone using the new Norvel AX-40 engine. It sounds like it would be a great choice for the Magnum, as it only weighs 306 grams and gets better fuel ecomony. Anyone used the AX-40 yet in anything?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Weston Magnum w/ Norvel AX-40

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...=NVLAX40/100.0

20% Lighter and 25% more fuel efficient than any other .40 size engine, the new AX-40 is designed for R/C Pros who know how much better a lighter plane flies and who are looking to shave fuel costs. Money saved on fuel is money well spent on another airplane. Fine jewel quality is obvious when you hold a shiny AX-40 in your hand. Includes ultra-light muffler.

>Power: 1.4 HP at 16,000 RPM
Recommend Prop: 10x6

kind of low on the power output for extreme speed
Old 09-12-2004, 12:34 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The comparison that interests me would be between the .32 SX, and the NORVEL .40. My .32 spins an APC 8-8 almost 19,000 rpm, and it cost about $160 if you figure in the tuned pipe. NORVEL would broaden their share of the high performance market if they provided more information than what the .40 can do with a 10-6.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:07 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That Norvel engine is actually quite nice. Very light, runs well. Ideal for combat use. Reminded me of my old OS.40 from long ago (1976 vintage).

It's not a speed or power engine, but I have no doubt it would fly the plane. However, I would assume if you are looking at a Magnum, you would want it to move at least a 'little'.

The engine gets the good fuel draw and fuel economy with a small bore carb. Fuel is energy. If you use less fuel, you make less power. Fairly simple. They noted 16K rpm as their HP number, but with a 10x6 it will not likely exceed 13.5K rpm (I do not have actual tach numbers, and if anyone does have good field data on the engine, please, provide it here ).

Bob
Old 09-13-2004, 10:07 AM
MrDHEJ
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, i noticed the advertised HP was lower then most, but at best the manufactures guesstamate that number anyway. And i'd much rather know the torque curve then HP, as HP is caculated from the torque value. Anyway, for $110 i'm going to try it, it'll be my fastest plane anyway, and even if it only peaks at 130mph instead of 180mph it'll still be fun and i'll learn the plane easier. Can always add a tuned pipe and use 30% later on when the need for more speed is needed.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What BOB27 says makes perfect sense, you can't get something from nothing, and fuel economy has to come at a cost. I don't know if REVLITE liners can have port work done, but if a guy knew what he was doing, one of these engines might make good hot rod material for the "engine guy" to play with?