Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

advice...outlaw linkage

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

advice...outlaw linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 12:50 AM
JetJock2140
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice...outlaw linkage

hey im new here, but ive gotta outlaw put together and how did yall do your linkage? i put my rudder linkage about a 3rd up the rudder so the angle would work. is this ok? do i need some kinda support? i thought about changing it, but im not sure what to change it to. anything from somebody thats set one up and flown it would help!
thanx
Old 08-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

heres a pic of mine to get you started, more pics to come.
the elevon servos are mounted on wing boxes which screw to rails between the ribs, and the rest of the servos cut into the centre ribs. i might even give you the throws and CofG i've got while im at it... but mine is a handfull to fly. i need low rates for my low stuff, but it hangs on a 36, pipe and 11x4 master.
brb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21488_743.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	13573  
Old 08-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Cactus.

ok, outside, pics show the wing boxes and rudder servo linkage. the elevons are best out here to avoid the elevons twisting at speed. i measured the wing thickness to get the posistion i could go back to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21493_743.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	13574  
Old 08-14-2002, 04:00 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

???? you're supposed to have all the push rods coming out the bottom of the wing..........Much cleaner look..... I run the rudder rod out to the ply plate at the bottom of the rudder, maybe 1/2 inch from the bottom.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Cactus.

and the inside. you can see the bay at the back for the batt, but that was mental to fly. its in front of the servos now, and Rx infront of that. i cut nice big holes so i could bend round the servo leads from the wing section back into the plane near the RX.
going to check rates ect now...
Old 08-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Cactus.

Bottom of the wing my ass, thats where the ground is when you land!!!! hobby shop will love you for spare servo gears.
Aileron, 15 mm down, 20 mm up ( taken from the inside edge ) -30 expo
Elevator 15 mm down, 23 mm up, - 30 expo
Rudder 35mm each way, -25 expo

this is a very agile setting, and you get into trouble getting out of it, go for 50% rates untill your used to it. i have my CofG right on the rear point.. i think....
Old 08-14-2002, 04:42 PM
JetJock2140

i think phillybabys right, bottom of the wing???????? thats about how ive got my rudder done, cept its further up the rudder...
thanx for the pics i wasnt sure how i was gonna set everything up
probly gonna redo my rudder linkage closer to the bottom of the rudder, think ive got the elevons figgerd out
thanx yall
keep it comin
Old 08-14-2002, 04:43 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Outlaw I've been flying is two years old and has the original servos and gears in it. With the anhedral of the trailing edge the horns don't touch the ground. Besides that the way it was designed. And everyone of them that I've seen in addition to Jerrys have had the pushrods coming out the bottom, my ass...
Old 08-14-2002, 05:02 PM
JetJock2140

sry my bad my rudder horns about 1-1.5 in above the trailing edge, unsupported metal pushrod...is this strong enought to fly without flutter?
Old 08-14-2002, 05:08 PM
JetJock2140

what servos r yall using? ive gotta futaba s3002 mini for rudder, think thatll be strong enough or do i need to go with standards?
thanx
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Servo's and location

I ran my elevons out of the bottom of the wing as well. No problems to date - even after the first landing with an approach speed of 80 mph!!!! Man this thing is quick and does not slow down - at all!!!!! The rudder is excatly like the picture above (only on the other side). I did not like installing a servo upside down to get it per the plans.

I used JR 4721's on the elevons. You need higher than average torque (i.e. 70 oz or so) and surperb centering. I really like the percision of the 4721's, but Futaba 9202's would work well too. On rudder and throttle, I used Hitec 225 BB mighty-mini's. You do not need a ton of torque and the centering is good enough for this application.

Mine is balanced per the plans. I have the low rates set the way I like them, but need to adjust the high rates to get it to do "The Kentucky Splat"!

I was hoping to see Jerry at the XFC, but I understand he had a family emergency which kept him away. Hopefully, he will be at the D.O.G.S. fly-in in Dayton, OH over Labor Day so I can pick his brain a little more.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Cactus.

that Anhedrial is good, with the master prop on i was dragging the rudder and tips along the patch then pop into a hang. not a true hang like other fun flys, but you stop it falling over lol. i dont know what my top speed is, but its not far off my Dust with MVVS 40 and it beats all the 40-60 size rapiers, well it did untill the Magnum 36 bearings have gone again. 10x4 APC normally, 10X6 is faster but less fun.
i've got standard 3003 servos. on all surfaces, and the rods as you see in the pic. no flutter problems at all and no centering probs either even tho its so sensitive.
i wouldnt use the minis, not for flutter reasons, just because of the blow back effect at 140 +
one other thing about servos on top, i can do everything i ever need to do, without turning it over and putting pressure on the fin and needle while i try to take servos out.
just the way i've always done things
Old 08-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default Mighty Minis vs 3003's

Don't write off the Hitec Mighty Mini's so quickly....here are some specs -

Hitec 225BB 54.6 oz @4.8v and 65.8 oz @6.0v
Futaba 3003 35.5oz @ 4.8v and 44.4 oz @ 6.0v

I don't think blow back will be a problem if you have 3003 and are not experiencing any issues.

PLUS, the 225BB's are lighter and almost twice as fast as a 3003.

I also only used the mini's on throttle and rudder. I did this mainly for weight savings and because it makes everything fit easier in the radio compartment.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:45 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Mike Stokes from Hobbico is using hi-torque servos on the elevons, standard on the rudder and a micro servo for the throttle. He is also using on hi rates 2" up and down on elevons, on lo rate 1" up and down on elevon. He is using -80% expo. I haven't built mine yet, but my son and i are building three of them, one spare. we figure they will have a short expiration date!. I plan on powering mine with a 32 webra speed with a mac's muffler. Can't wait, looks like hair raising fun to me!!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More pics

I received my Outlaw short kit today.WOW The plans and parts are great. I wish there was a little more meat on the Instruction bone. Fly4Fun2 can you post some pictures of the bottom of your plane. Thanks, Pete
Old 08-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Fly4Fun2

Default Pics

I will see if I can get some pics of it. I am probably one of the few with out a digital camera or scanner. I have some friends who have them though.

Just a quick warning - the bottom is florescent PINK!!! The top is Pearl Yellow with blue stripes and "cracked ice" checkerboards. Its small - its fast - its BRIGHT! HEY - At least I can see it!!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:36 PM
JetJock2140

thanx for the info yall it helps alot
this like the first really fast one ive built, ive gotta shrike 40 with a rossi 40 and a flying machine with a webra speed 40, but they only do about 120
Old 08-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Cactus.

You know what i really like about the Outlaw???
In our display i was wasting all the Rapiers in the quickie slot, when they ran out of fuel I'd prophang & flatspin for a while
Few planes have this range.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servos

Going shopping for balsa and servos in the AM. I was under the impression you needed a higher torque servo on the rudder? Pete