Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Well to get back on track here, "it" arrived today. The box was packaged very well. Laser cut parts and plans looked very good. Along with the ones I downloaded from the webpage I say we are off to a good start here..
Old 09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well to get back on track, "it" arrived by FedEx today. Packaged very well with all laser cut parts and good plans and a canopy. Does look real good. Along with the great manual I downloaded from the web page, I think we are off to a good start here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60215.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	178038  
Old 09-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep us (me) posted...
Old 09-29-2004, 09:07 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Airgar

I didn't realize that I did that , Sorry, If you want I could send you a fin, how do you want the grain. Sometime I would glue two balsa fin or stab too make it stronger. you can e-mail me or call. I'll be home after 7:30pm.

Regards
Angel RC Design
Angel
Old 10-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

One good point is the retract installation. It's built for Spring Airs and all the plywood mounts are already pre-drilled.

One note here also is to pay very close attention as to how you position bulkheads F2, F3 and
F-4. Keep in mind this is a side mount engine and you will notice pre drilled holes in all three for the throttle linkage and its very easy to place them on the wrong side of the plane. From what I can tell, the blueprints are laid out as if the plane were being built upside down on the board at certain times. Frankly just triple check before you glue.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Here is a photo opportunity of what has been assembled so far. Going together with out much problem however if anybody is going to start this kit, you may want to email me for a couple of helpful tips here.

Name:	Rp43978.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	182074  
Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover

New photos, It's coming together rather well, no major complaints

Name:	Ec88675.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	185618  
Old 10-23-2004, 07:53 AM
chcarlos
My Feedback: (9)

I've nearly purchased this kit a couple of times over the last year but have chickened out because there isn't much information about this plane anywhere. I like the looks and size of the plane; fact that its designed for retracts; and the plug-in wings. Thanks for sharing your build. Really looking forward to your flight report.

"Going together with out much problem however if anybody is going to start this kit, you may want to email me for a couple of helpful tips here." Maybe you can post your kit building tips here?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Cyclic Hardover

The wing is not a concern. Go back to the first photo. Take a good look at the wing. It has a plywood tab sticking out which slides into the side of the fuselage and is then bolted down. Should be very solid.

Not only is it designed for Spring Airs but the holes for them are already cut. My guess the reason for not hearing much about them is the lack of propjets and on the market. The demand is their but the distributors are not listening. This guy has quite a line up here and more coming out. F-16 next year.

I was not sure at first but I downloaded that manual and it sold me. CD pictures are even better. That along with a pivot by here to help you out. It was definitely worth the price.

It's a winter project and I do not expect it in the air until spring but anybody can feel free to ask me about it.

Heres a shot from this morning. Sort of a "slapped" together verison to see how it looks

Name:	Ki20528.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	185694  
Old 10-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Belly Shot

Name:	Rp42139.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	185748  
Old 12-04-2004, 01:52 AM
hiawathax2
My Feedback: (26)

okay you sold me too! i have been sitting on the fence looking for my next propjet. I was going to try the new patriot xl but this looks much leaner and meaner! keep the pics coming. your info is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM
THEGRINCMAN
My Feedback: (41)

I bought my flanker last spring, I had a local club build it. I picked it up today and it looks great. I dont have any way of sending pics or I would. It seems to be tail heavy , if any body has any tips in balanceing or flying this plane , please let me know.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I had a thread on this somewhere here. I had mine built as well and man it flew great! Be sure to get as much throw as possible in the elevators. When they will travel straight up and down, add some more! Especially if it is nose heavy. On the first flights, use all runway available and let it come off on its on.I had radio failure and the airplane was put back into "kit form" on its 3rd or 4th flight. Good luck
Old 12-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: THEGRINCMAN

It seems to be tail heavy , if any body has any tips in balanceing or flying this plane , please let me know.
Tail heavy...? From the looks of it I would say it would turn out nose heavy, if anything...
But like I said, from the looks of it... I don't have the kit at hand...
Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Well you all saw where I am at on mine but the reason for possible tail heavy is "everything is in the very back end of the plane. Battery, servos, receiver. If I will need any nose weight , I will probably put it in the fuel tank compartment. A hatch is built for access

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: THEGRINCMAN

It seems to be tail heavy , if any body has any tips in balanceing or flying this plane , please let me know.
Tail heavy...? From the looks of it I would say it would turn out nose heavy, if anything...
But like I said, from the looks of it... I don't have the kit at hand...
Old 12-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Working on the nose/engine area. The orignal hole in the firewall for the throttle will have to be moved about 1/4 inch or so if you use a Jett .90. If you don't the linkage will run directly into the muffler. No big deal if you check it before making the nose.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I removed my Jett 90 from my Ultra Sport to use as a template for the front end here. With the thrust line being where it is, a minor problem came up. The throttle arm is too close to the bottom and is rubbing against the wood from the cowl.

The only fix I see is to fabricate a new one which will not stick out so far.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:03 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

bend the throttle arm as needed. its soft material.

you can also cut off part of the bottom edge if that helps.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Here is the latest photo taken today. I sized it up for another Jett .90. Darn near ready for a final sanding and glass job. Going to monokote the wings.

Name:	Yw67543.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	204044  
Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Looking really good, Snoop.

You can tell Alex has refined the construction of his kits since his MiG29 came out. The MiG is much more "sport" scale than the Flanker. There is a construction thread for two (or more) AK MiG29s [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2177564&key=]here[/link] on RCU. After Pete Kelly and I finish up our MiGs we will be started our SU27s and hope to have them ready for spring (nothing else to do up here in the great white north all winter except build.)

So, I've subscribed to this thread to help in those later builds. I like the idea of the Jett .90 in the Flanker.

Later
Don
Old 12-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I think I have covered a few problem areas here, if not,please ask. For what you see now is a minor problem in the engine area. The throttle arm of the Jett .90 sticks out far enought to rub on that bottom panel and you can see I sanded off about as much as I dared to. I emailed Jett on modifying the arm and he said its not problem to remove it and bend it to fit better.

More than likely I wil just order a separate arm for the new Jett 90. I also coated the entire inside of the engine area with epoxy for strength and fuel proofing. The plans are goofy. At times your building the fuselage from the plans on up and at other times your still on the plans but should be backwards. I made several errors and had to remove glued wood and re cut from new stock. Somewhere in this thread is the mess I had with the wing tubes. Eyeball that one for sure.

They "AKM" also supply very little packing tape for those wing tubes. If you screw it up. A local pack and ship place should have the identical tape, if not you let me know because I found the identical tape here for virtually nothing and I'll send you some.

This is one of those planes that does not seem to get better until its over! I went with the recommended Spring air set up. I used primarily "thin" CA on this thing to get everything to stick immediately, then backed it up with dots of Epoxy in key areas to prevent things from popping off if you know what I mean.

I have the back exhausts and tail boom done but they will be the very last thing to go on the plane and after the glassing is done. Later.

ORIGINAL: hattend

Looking really good, Snoop.

You can tell Alex has refined the construction of his kits since his MiG29 came out. The MiG is much more "sport" scale than the Flanker. There is a construction thread for two (or more) AK MiG29s [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2177564&key=]here[/link] on RCU. After Pete Kelly and I finish up our MiGs we will be started our SU27s and hope to have them ready for spring (nothing else to do up here in the great white north all winter except build.)

So, I've subscribed to this thread to help in those later builds. I like the idea of the Jett .90 in the Flanker.

Later
Don
Old 12-20-2004, 09:06 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

its looking pretty good Snoop
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Look slike I am going to replace the ABS covers under the rear of the plane. Taking a good look at it all tells me they are stupid. I will just form some wood covers which will blend in better. Too much time and effort going in this thing to change direction into a Kmart .
Old 01-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Blade47

Hey Snoop! ... I have been looking at the plans for the SU and see that the C/G is dang near on top of the Main gear .... My question is where are you going to put the C/G? seems if you do wheels up the c/g is going to move back a ton.

Pete
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Heck , I don't know, have not come to that point yet. but FYI, everything is installed in the very back of the plane. All servos, battery, receiver, airtank an the whole schmeel. Good thing is there is enough room in the front of the plane or back of it to add weight. I am still a while away from that. The plane is basically done , now I need to get to the covering bit.

I am giving it a final sanding and then I'll put it up for a couple weeks cuz I am getting sick of it. I guess the positive side here is if this ever goes in at speed, there will be plenty of cushion for the radio gear. One other minor thing here is that I still have not found anyone who has flown this plane. Apparently one was built by CBM but I got nothing their.

Hows Whitehorse, I drove that a couple times, nice area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.