Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Hahahahahah!

I've been saying the same thing to Pete about my MiG. I just can't wait to finish it because I'm tired of looking at it on my building board. I want to start on the SU27.

I have never completed two planes in one winter building season (I'm slow) but as long as Pete keeps prodding me with pictures of his finished MiG, I will strive to get it/them done.

Don

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

I am giving it a final sanding and then I'll put it up for a couple weeks cuz I am getting sick of it.
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not to bad up this way there Snoop ...If you ever get the chance again do drop by for a fly and a beer or two... This is a pic of the MIG29 that Don is talking about ...The same one that I finished two weeks ago ... We started at the same time BUT...DON has NOT finished his yet

So when do you think you get a chance to test fly your SU27 there Snoop? or are you in the deep of winter like we are up this way?

I hope to have a SU27 this week that Don sent down to me as a Gift seems he had two of them and can only build one at a time <GRIN> would like to get at it this weekend.

Still pondering over the C/G for the Mig and the SU27 oh well I am sure we can work it out.

I see that you are or where a aviator ...I put in my 26 years of flying helicopters up this way and hung up the license for much safer computer work

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj24045.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	211018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22835.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	211019  
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats a nice looking bird Pete..... I like the color scheme
    Bob Brassell
    Jett Engineering - Engine Mfg Support Forum Host
    rjbrassell@gmail.com or bob27s@hotmail.com
    RB-78

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well thanks there Bob ..Here is the link on the Build that Don and I are doing on the MIG29 ..you may want to have a look.

Pete
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2177564
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

By the Way Bob ...maybe I can TEST fly one of your $200.00+ 90L engines in the SU27 ?? you know High altitude and cold weather and all

Was also think that I may just reverse the color scheme of the MIG on the SU27 Hmmmm have to think on that.

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks pete...good thread.

Ive had some good feedback reports on the AKM planes from guys using jett 90 power. They are a lot of building, but seem to build into nice aircraft.

I've got mine in line to build here shortly.

Bob
    Bob Brassell
    Jett Engineering - Engine Mfg Support Forum Host
    rjbrassell@gmail.com or bob27s@hotmail.com
    RB-78

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good thread, I'ved been eyeballing this plane for some time, can't beat the price either.
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YWell I took a look at the cg area. The CG is right on the retract mount. You know, I don't think its is going to be a big deal. If I keep it on the nose heavy side as I do most of my planes, I don't think it will do a thing. Maybe we should talk to those who have a DC F18 or the GP F14 and15 and see whats up.

One thing I am concerned about is the takeoff roll. As I recall the DC F18 that couple friends had was a nightmare. Also the entire gear set up is extremely close together-both side to side and fore and aft. With this type of set up , will also make it top heavy. I'ts going to tip over for sure, you can count on it. To get ready for that I am going to change them wing tip fake missles around to be able to absorb it and not show it.

I am a big fan of Kavan wheels. I have them on all my planes because they help the plane slide instead of that sideways bouncing. You will definitely need them for this to help out.

Blade-Did you cover that thing or glass it.
    Retired Army Aviator - Where the heck have I been?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There was one person in here who claimed the SU was nose heavy... he needed a ton "up" elevator just to get airborne... unfortunately he destroyed the airplane before making any further tests. DAYMN!

So, according to his testimony I don't think you are going to end up tail heavy just by pulling the gear up...
    Revver Brother #33
    ...I think it needs more power...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Woohoo My Kit showed from Don today and it looks like customs wanted to have a look ...hope they didn't drop anything out ..seems to be short on sticks ??? oh well ...onword...

Snoop ..nope that is a good old cover job in ultracoat hanger 9 ... used two and 1/2 rolls and 5 days of blue smoke coming out of my ears if you know what I mean <g>.

I will have to put some balsa power into thinking about the C/G ..... maybe split the difference when the wheels are up? Don and I have a friend that is a loooooong time model builder maybe we can get him to have a look at this thread ( and kit ) and give a point or two.

Having heard about the MIG being some what nose heavy and that the SU the same ...we could also send a note to Alex to see if he will jump in here or he may just want to comment off line to one of us about it ...worth asking there to.

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK.... I'm sick and tired of looking at this plane... so I just "tried" to order one... and I "tried" to order a brand new JETT .90L to keep it company... But I guess this internet thing wasn't meant for us mere Europeans...

... guess I'll be calling Dub and Alex tomorrow... [>:]

I just couldn't resist... I love the looks of this thing...
    Revver Brother #33

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right on there Bro good to have you in the building thread
    Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete,

Glad to hear the plane finally showed up...Merry Christmas!!! hahahah

I think the CG will be have to be further back due to the swept wing. All flight reports of the MiG and SU27 talk of running out of elevator, sounds like nose heavy to me. I plan on putting the CG on the MiG either on or about 1/4" behind the plans location and flying it and then move the CG until the elevator is effective in flare. If it starts getting really sensitive at speed then I know I have gone too far and I will move it forward until it reaches a good compromise.

Since I am rounding the LEX on the MiG instead of leaving it flat, I may not have too much of a problem. I can't help but think that flat LEX is stalling the root way too soon and that's why the elevator runs out. We'll see. I love being a test pilot, don't you?

The SU should be about the same although the LEX is more contoured so you may get a little lift off the fuselage so the CG can be a little further forward.

We'll see.

I'm going down to empty some beer bottle at a friend's house tonight...I have to bottle my next batch this weekend...hope I have time to work on the MiG

Don
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since this thread has whet all our appetites for the Flanker... I thought I'd point out that there is a dutch auction for ten of the AKM SU-27s right now on that big auction site (item 5947683575). Maybe 10 of us Revver Brothers (can I still say that?) should all jump on board!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DON!

Hard to pick ...beer ..MIG ....Beer ...MIG Well it seems to be about four or five Su being or about to be built so I hope we can all come up with a good C/G start location for that all important maiden flight for those that will see spring before you or I do [] ...I like the idea that Snoop has about the rails may look into that as well.

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Blade47

Just sitting back and having a look at the finished MIG and now looking at the plan for the SU just a small light bulb came on ...not sure if this will help us but ..... have a look at the LE of the Stab do you think that by adding a tapered strip from the fuse to the tip and increase the width of the stab by hmmmm 1/2 to 3/4" by the tip may help with the running out of elevator? may be waaaay off base here so let me know.

Pete
    Adding meat to the LE of the stab isn't going to help... adding meat to the ELEVATOR, as in: the TE of the stab... now that may accomplish something...
    Revver Brother #33

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well,to help on the elevator, I bring most of my speed planes in on a low approach and I am fine. This also helps when your at 5000ft like I am. Propjets -once on the ground, slow down real good.

These are big elevators. I really cannot see running out unless my approach speed and angle is way off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Up at 5:30 ..this is what I have come up with ...Hmmmmm Maybe

pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96128.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	211324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44508.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	211325  
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Blade,

What weight did your Mig end up? I'm curious, as I believe AKM shows the Flanker 'bout a pound heavier.

BTW, your Mig came out lookin' GOOD!

Gary
    &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Un-Certified Speed \"Demon\"!! &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
    (((Revver numero three\'\'o)))

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks AirGar

The dry weight at this time is 8.6 Lbs. The reason it may have come out on the heavy side 1) Used a new Evolution 1.00NX at about 28 to 29 oz 2) Used the heaver 510 Flutts dual nose gear not sure the weight on that but is heaver then the single leg Du-bro. 3) Add a little more Tri stock and extend the wing tips another 1 1/2" each side to use the full tip blocks that came with the Kit. 4) Also full sheeted the wing.

With all this I may have added 1/2 lb (or more) on my own this way

Have not finished the weight and balance yet as i am waiting for the GP balance system. But on a quick use the finger balance it is almost dead on the Plan C/G of 4" so we will see.

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Triple check before you glue. At times your building on the plans but then at other times your not even though you think you are and you end up installing a piece upside down. Like those photos. Your actually looking at the bottom of the plane. The main plan sheet is actually a photo of the bottom of the plane when most of the time you building "up" Bulkhead F2 F3 F4 are verrrrrry important because they have holes in them for the throttle tube to run through and they can be installed backward with no problem.

Thing is if you build "up " on the fuselage on the sheet, things could be reversed. You have a Tower Catalog? Page 82 at the bottom are "Nylon Torque Bearings" Item #GPMQ-4270. You need a couple of those to hold the two elevator control rods (4-40)

The Vertical fin shows a "bottom fin". That really does not go on until the plane is done. I still do not have mine on becasue it would be in the way. It only helps mask the control rod so that the rod does not look like a stupid rod hanging down. That other piece "VF3" is also darn near last on the list after the fins are mounted and the back end is near done.

Also I used mostly "thin" CA on this to set things up immediately, especially on some of those curves on the front

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Snoop,

Funny you mention installing stuff upside down. I did just that! I was on a roll while building and didn't pay attention when I mounted the horizontal stabilizer. [:@] It was most annoying! LOL.

Dumbest thing I have done in 35 years of building.

You can see my fix in the MiG29 build thread.

Don

PS: Hey Pete. Check in that SU box that I sent you. I may have thrown my package of torque bearings in there by mistake. If so...Happy Birthday! LOL!!
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=sunsmiley.gif] You dah Man there Don ...Yep I did find two bearings in a little box ...was thinking that they had been included with the kit. Thanks heheheh

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also said earlier somewhere that if you screw up the wing tubes with that packing tape and cannot find it up their, let me know, I found some here,an endless supply. Also do not wrap it too tight because that is what your wing is going to slide into.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will do Snoop I will keep that in mind for sure and thank you for the offer on the tape .... may need it

Pete
    Pete
    Revver Brother #93

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast