Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I WILL BE STARTING MY SU-27 THIS WEEKEND. WAITING ON SPRING AIR 701 BORED FOR 3/8 OLEO'S. LOOKS LIKE A TIGHT FIT BUT I JUST LOVE THOSE OLEO'S! I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MODIFYING THE FRONT FOR DUAL WHEELS, I KNOW ITS NOT SCALE BUT I LIKE THE LOOK. I'M ALSO CONSIDERING ADDING TO THE ELEVATOR AND I WAS CONSIDERING CARVING THE TOP OF THE ENGINES OUT OF DEPRON TO GIVE A LITTLE MORE SCAL APPEARENCE.

SINCE IT TOOK ME ALMOST SEVEN MONTHS TO BUILD MY PATRIOT 40 IT COULD BE A LONG BUILD. I'LL POST PICTURES ON THE PROGRESS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING ON THE FLIGHT REPORTS AS WELL AS THE CG.

MIKE B
MOUNT SHASTA, CA
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Blade47

Hey Rudeboy ...did you order you kit yet?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah... yesterday. Haven't heard anything back from AK except for an automated message, but I'm not in a hurry...

Picard,
Be sure to let us know how you go with the oleo struts... because I'd like to install oleo's as well...
Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike,

I work in Alaska but my wife and home are in Redding.

Maybe we'll fly our SU's together some day.

Pete (Blade47) and I are already going to have a squadron of planes to fly when I visit him...LOL!

Don
Old 01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Blade47

Don't forget about the Beer Don!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:26 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: Blade47

Don't forget about the Beer Don!
Having some beer is a given, of course. [sm=bananahead.gif] <<<< Me, after a few
Old 01-08-2005, 01:34 PM
picard1

DON,
I'D LOVE TO FLY WITH YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK TO CALIF. ARE YOU A MEMBER OF ANY OF THE LOCAL CLUBS? TWO SU-27 AT THE ANDERSON FEILD WOULD BE AWSOME, WE COULD FLY SOME SORTIE'S

MIKE
Old 01-08-2005, 01:54 PM
hattend

I belong to the Northern California RC Flyers club. I have been a member for 5 years now but have never been to the flying field (Ash Creek)[&o]. Is Ash Creek the one near Anderson that you are talking about?

I have a little over 2 more years here until I return home. It'll be great to belong to, and fly with, a club again. I AM the club here in Galena. I don't really mind as I have about 10 acres of concrete to fly off of all by myself but I do miss the camaraderie of a club and seeing different airplanes other than those that I have built.

I'll see you one of these days. Take Care

If you go down to Redding, say hi to Mike Brown for me . I bought quite a few planes out of his collection, I just have to get them ready for flight.

Don

ORIGINAL: picard1

DON,
I'D LOVE TO FLY WITH YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK TO CALIF. ARE YOU A MEMBER OF ANY OF THE LOCAL CLUBS? TWO SU-27 AT THE ANDERSON FIELD WOULD BE AWESOME, WE COULD FLY SOME SORTIE'S

MIKE
Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Okay, I gut my glassin shoes, I gut my glassin clothes. I gut my glassin brushes. I gut my glassin cloth and I gut my "Minwax." Time to do it babeh!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:15 PM
picard1

DON,
MIKE BROWN IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE AND I TO HAVE BOUGHT A FEW PLANES FROM HIS 50+ HANGER. YES ASH CREEK IS THE FIELD ITS FANTASTIC!!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Yes, I am "the guy who had one for only a few flights".sob,sob...
Anyway, dont know if I mentioned about flaperons or not. On the first couple of flights it was slightly nose heavy and there was not enough elevator to slow it down to its comfort zone in landing, and it ate up a couple hundred feet on take-off (seemed like). I just accepted it until my comfort level rose,(which was the second flight). I dialed in some flaperons and it was a different airplane. It lifted off in half the length and climbed alot steeper without the fear of stalling. Landing was just the same. It just sucks so bad that about the time I could really enjoy it, It did a few uncommanded rolls and went back into "kit form" quickly. I am still convinced that the receiver antenna that close to the flagpole of a wing tube is what did it in. I did not use a PCM receiver then and had glitches several times before flying it. When I would take the antenna out of the fuselage pushrod tube, they would go away. Later, after repositioning the antenna tube, it (glitches) went away for several high speed passes and range checks. Well, it came back and I am not to proud to tell the story....Good Luck
By the way, it was the SU-27. I know yall have seen the build thread here somewhere when I had it built.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Blade47

Sorry to hear of your loss of the SU27 Lear31A ... I to have put into place the Flaperons on the MIG29 and will like you put them on the SU27 that I am about to start .... to what degree did you deploy the flap's? or inches if you prefer.

Pete
Old 01-08-2005, 10:17 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I remeber that it did not take much, about 8-15 degrees. I know that it was no more than 15 degrees. Any more than that it gave it a nose down tendency(which required more elevator and defeated the purpose). I leveled off and started slowly adding clicks of flaps until it started a nose down trend, then backed it off a couple of clicks. It was right about 10 degrees it seems. Then I used that flap setting for remaining take offs and landings.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Cyclic Hardover

What do you think of a wooden dowel? One that thick (3/4") I think would hold up fine.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Blade47

Oh ya I have come up with another mod on my SU ... I had finished cutting my BIGGER elevators and letting the glue dry on the Stab when as I was looking at the plan for the wing I went Hmmm I can see that the Missile rails on the end of the wing stick out a lot and will probably get cot on something and crap I will have to .......... HEY ..... I know what I am going to do ........ ( FORD light Bulb comes on ) ... I am NOT going to put them on ..... I am going to ....... add a 3" tip block ( hard wood encase ) to both sides and shape like the MIG ....HEY ...I will gain another 6" of WING as well ...Wooooohoooo .....Hmmmmmm well maybe Hmmmmm .

And I do like your Idea Snoop of the 3/4" dowel rod ..off to the hardware store to get one.

Pete
Old 01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Cyclic Hardover

You better think twice on the wing tip thing. I said earlier somewhere, this plane has "tip over" written all over it. The gear is so close together that if the end of that runway comes up to quick or and aborted take off, I don't beleive this plane is going to slide very well if not at all.. Those wing tips will help save the corners of that wing when it flips to the left or right front.

ORIGINAL: Blade47

Oh ya I have come up with another mod on my SU ... I had finished cutting my BIGGER elevators and letting the glue dry on the Stab when as I was looking at the plan for the wing I went Hmmm I can see that the Missile rails on the end of the wing stick out a lot and will probably get cot on something and crap I will have to .......... HEY ..... I know what I am going to do ........ ( FORD light Bulb comes on ) ... I am NOT going to put them on ..... I am going to ....... add a 3" tip block ( hard wood encase ) to both sides and shape like the MIG ....HEY ...I will gain another 6" of WING as well ...Wooooohoooo .....Hmmmmmm well maybe Hmmmmm .

And I do like your Idea Snoop of the 3/4" dowel rod ..off to the hardware store to get one.

Pete
Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Blade47

That is what i was thinking about Snoop other then getting them cot on something. I may use hollowed out hardwood ( maybe even spruce) for the tips that way if they do drag they will not grind down as bad as balsa.

Pete
Old 01-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Blade47

Here is a pic with the Stock elevator on top of the mod elevator that I cut ...also made the root about 1/8" shorter so that it doesn't look as fat <g>

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83646.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	212946  
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Blade47

Snoop! I don't see on the plan or in manual if the center joint of the stab is fiberglassed ... did you on your SU? ..On the MIG which has the same build on the stab he has a 2" strip top and bottom.

Or does the rest of fuse support the stab therefore does not need it?

Pete
Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
hattend

How does one join Team Revver?

Do you have to build more than one plane a year? LOL

Don
Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Cyclic Hardover

You really don't need to. If you look on page 10 in the upper right corner. That stab is eventually going to be surrounded by frame. What I did was run a bead of epoxy on the corners of it all for added strength. I also ran thin beads over obvious area like around the 4-40 elevator joints and stuff. I also glue in some thin plwood strips about 1/4 wide under those servo holders to give something for the screws to go into.

Dont forget , there is a left and right side to that rear stab . That little nub on the center piece that helps keep them together will keep it straight.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Blade47

Cool Snoop Ok will do. I was thinking the same thing for the servo trays ..only put the strips on the ( TOP ) side for more meat for the screws

Pete
Old 01-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Well lets see the initiation fee will be some infamous Blueberry pie from Cantwell, Bag a Moose Nuggets and a can of Ice Fog. See Flyboy Dave, He handles that

ORIGINAL: hattend

How does one join Team Revver?

Do you have to build more than one plane a year? LOL

Don
Old 01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well the Glassing has started. I have the top on with a couple of coats and the bottom is next. This Minwax Waterbased Polycrylic stuff is great. No sticky fingers, Doesn't stink up the room or house. Clean the brush with soap and water and drys in an hour, Sandable in 2-3 instead of a couple days.

Now the Deft Sanding sealer is a different story that went on first. That is nasty stuff. Need to do that outside or someplace.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:34 PM
hattend

Snoop,

Where does one get the Minwax stuff? Home Depot? I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just "go shopping" That's why I ask. I won't waste time going to the wrong places when I go to town. I've alway used Epoxy for glassing and I'll try anything else once...especially if it's as user friendly as you say.

Don

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

Well the Glassing has started. I have the top on with a couple of coats and the bottom is next. This Minwax Waterbased Polycrylic stuff is great. No sticky fingers, Doesn't stink up the room or house. Clean the brush with soap and water and drys in an hour, Sandable in 2-3 instead of a couple days.

Now the Deft Sanding sealer is a different story that went on first. That is nasty stuff. Need to do that outside or someplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.