Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
DaCrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I'm at a loss on other ideas.

My SU-27 is essentially still in the box, I started the fuse in Nov, but put it aside to work on a SU-26MX ARF, which is now complete. It will be some time before I get back to the SU-27. I had better finish of a HOB FW-190 converted to electric before I get too far into something else.

I enjoy following this thread and when I get back to my SU-27, I'll post.

Cheers.

DaCrew
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
theo63

jim,i like the solution to the 1/8 wire that looks pretty good i think ill go that rout,i started a wing and the spars are soft balsa and i also do not have the 1/8 by 1/4 balsa strip that go into the ribs towards the trailing edge man that sucks i was bunmmin now that means i have to wait and get some,thats why i wish there was at least a inventory sheet then i would of caught this before now
Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
jaaron01

theo63: I'm sure when I start the wing, I'll find more things missing or mis-cut. For right now I'm going to finish the fuselage as much as possible, before starting on the wings. I decided tonight to start looking at how the throttle, and nose wheel steering rod will be run / located. It's going to be difficult to run a rod through everything, and get a reliable set-up. I'm thinking I might locate a servo up front for the throttle, but where do you locate it? I might have room in the nose wheel well, if I keep it close to the fuselage wall.

That's the reason I've not closed up the engine nacelle's, so at least I can see what needs to go were.

As for the 1/8 wire, that should eliminate the flutter issue that has plauged the previous builders of this jet. I'm thinking between the 1/8 wire control rods, epoxy bearings, and the hardwood blocks that I cut and placed in the rudder's & elevators, I shouldn't have any flutter.

Jim
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
theo63

jim, look back on page 47 post 1161 you can see where i put my throttle servo and it works out great just made a little servo tray and put in a mini servo there,nice short rod to the throttle and i am happy as it came out great

thats why i have not closed up my engine nacelles yet as well,also i have ordered some robart tees and new airlines and those screw on clamps so i have no air leaks cause no matter how i did it with those ones supplied with the retracts i had small leaks and i want none as its hard to get to everything once its closed up

yes i did everything you did as well with the 1/8 rods for fluttter should work great i was just pondering how i was going to hook them up and when i seen what you did i was happy i dont have to think about that no more,just one more thing to get lol

oh by the way the aft spars in the wing are die cut duuuhhhh, so i have them and i got started anyway steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99501.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1103688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47354.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1103689  
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: jaaron01

So here's the damage has been done, and here's what I came up with. It'll be fun covering around this, but at least the gear functions perfectly, and nothing rubs. One more side to do, then on to the front. I spent most of the day today working on this one side and getting everything to function.

Jim
Jim, Just a question about your struts. I see in the pics that you have the spring coil facing forward. Seems that while rolling, bumps would cause the spring coil to open when facing that way, If turned around, it might be better as the spring would close tighter for the spring action. What do the instructions say is correct?

Dan

P.S. Bob, the link above is a pic of an F-18 landing on a carrier with arresting hook extended.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 AM
jaaron01

Dan,
The Spring Air retracts came in a clear bag, with 1 yellow piece of paper with part numbers for more parts. There's one little paragraph that's very vauge on installing, and a diagram, that shows parts that are not the same as what i received. I had a @#$@ of a time getting the shut-off valve in the correct way. As you know most of the valves are check valves, and must go one way only to function correctly, so it was a method or trial and error, to ever get the system correct.

If you put the coils facing backwards there's not enough clearance for the gear to close, as the spring would hit the air cyclinder on the retract. The nose strut is the only one that is off set to have the spring facing backwards. I will say with the 3/16 wire struts, they are stiff......I worry more about the retract plate ripping out than the wire bending to far.

Steve: I'm glad the control horn solution solved itself. I know there are heavier Strip Aileron Horns out there, but these were just on the shelve, and presented them selves. I think the original size was 5/32 diameter, but they were solid enough to drill out to 1/8, without making the walls to thin. You could probably get on Tower and find a heavier set, all made by dubro.

I hope thursday to get the other axials in at the hobby store and finish up the front gear. I'm going with the throttle servo up front, thats a for sure. I've still gotta work out the steering rod, and get it routed through the fuselage. I need to get a sullivan flex rod, as I thought I had one laying around, but turned out to be a sullivan throttle cable assy. Just my luck...

Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
jaaron01

Is anyone still working on there SU-27? Or has everyone gone back to work. Seems there's not been any movement in this thread in the last couple of days?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jaaron01

Is anyone still working on there SU-27? Or has everyone gone back to work. Seems there's not been any movement in this thread in the last couple of days?
Still waiting for mine to arrive. I'll have my king kobra flight ready today. Bought it and built it in the time i have waited for the 27 kit to be shipped. Tracking shows it hasn't been shipped yet. Was ordered on 12/18. I've decided to get back on my f-14 project and save this one so i'll be peeking in to see what you guys are doing but probably won't start on it for awhile when it does finally get here.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
theo63

i am still slaving on mine somewhat and yes back at work,i am almost done with the first wing and ill get a picture up maybe tonight plus i am waiting for some parts as well,i did do some rough sanding and filling on the fuse
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM
jaaron01

Wow, I've not been able to even get into the shop and do any work on my plane. I'm hoping tonight, and tommorrow to get a little more done on the fuselage. I'd like to finish off the naceles, and get my push rods installed, along with the front nose gear area completed.

Next week I've gotta head out to Salt Lake City Utah for the week, and do a little training for my job. So that put me another week behind. Keep the photos' coming.

Jim
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 AM
nchrome

Just a dumb question. Are any of you guys that are presently building the SU are you mounting the nose wheel like the real plane is or are you following the instructions on the plans. Just a brain **** but wouldn't this maybe help in the location of the tank (as far as a bigger one) and help relocate the needed tail weight that is needed to balance this bird. I have at presently only flown mine about 4 or 5 times and have to get a stronger nose wheel setup. I fly off of grass.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
jaaron01

What size wire strut do you have? I'm using the Spring Air 3/16 wire, and I'm pretty sure there will be minimum flexing.

Jim
Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM
jaaron01

So I went to the hobby store and picked up my axels for the front nose wheel. As usual nothing is lining up again, and the former for the front is way way way not working. Nothing about using these retracts has been according to plan. So now the rest of the day will be spent getting the front nose wheel/ strut to function properly. I did get a flexible cable set up to use for the steering the nose wheel.

Jim

Name:	Jh15626.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1107687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25701.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1107688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61323.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1107689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99339.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1107690  
Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
theo63

wow jim i did not have those problems i wonder if your kit is just a bad one,looks like your makin it work but thats a lot of hassle huh

i did get my right wing done so i took a few pictures with some of the other stuff just sitting there to get a idea what its going to look like and give me some momentum to keep plodding along

Name:	Bz77893.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1108457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80710.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1108458  
Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 PM
theo63

well here i took a close up of the wing meeting the fuse and this is what i have,i was thinking of just adding a piece if balsa and sanding it down to take up for this gap,what would you guys do to solve this any suggestions?

Name:	Ca82524.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1108460  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Blade47

jaaron01 ..You have the nose gear spring backwards ...trun it around.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
jaaron01

Depends on how big a gap that is. It looks big in the photo like 1/4 inch, but I'm sure its not. I would probably just add a piece of hard balsa, the full length of were the gap begins, and start sanding a little at a time. Start in the middle and work your way to the front of the rib.

I hate it when things like that happen.

Jim
Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
jaaron01

Pete,

I can't put the spring at the bottom of the strut. Spring is supposed to go at the top of the strut. As for the Spring being backwards, I've done it both ways, as with the main gear. Either way the wheel hits dead center of the Former. If you look at the original photo's you'll see it was put in there the correct way.

I've put the spring in upside down, sideways, backwards, it doesn't work either way. The strut for the Nose Wheel has the spring offset, so it doesn't matter as for which way it faces, you get the same about of clearance. Only difference is which side the wheel will be place. I'm just mak'en it work at this point................

Jim
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
theo63

jim,well the gap is just less than a 1/8 of a inch so i think ill just scab a peice in there and sand it down and should be okay

i got some parts in finally and started back on the fuse here are some pictures of the retracts with the wheels installed and i had to trim some but my front wheel fit just perfect i wonder still why you had problems here jim

Name:	Ge96179.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1111084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66417.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1111085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68388.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1111086  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
jaaron01

Back from Utah, I'm working on getting the nacelles finished off. Also finishing up putting the final touches on the retracts and working the access door for the nose wheel well, and the fuel tank area. Also temp fitted my Magnum .90 up front and started on the nose section.

Jim
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
ftjets

I recieved an email from Alex on 12/28 apologizing for the delay since mine was ordered on 12/14 but it's been awhile and now i can't get a response via email or phone for an update. Anyone else waiting for delivery of their kit or know of any issues with AKM that i should be aware of?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
lgaines85

Alex is a one man show. It took nearly a month to get my kit. He has to get the wood in and cut it. Hes normally really good at keeping you posted on how long it will take, just be patient and before you know you'll be thanking him.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
theo63

wow i have been out of town for a week for work and there is nothing going on in here,i did work on getting my elevator servos in and installing the linkage,should be done tonight but i still have not recieved my jet 90 engine yet so i hope it comes soon
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Robert Strouse

Jim,

I just got back to this forum to see what I missed. Just so you know the Flanker will land very slow with a rollout less than 40ft if you perform this technique. When coming in pitch your nose up to about 15 degrees and use your throttle to slow the descent. If you hold the nose up it will land like a scale Flanker and its a thing of beauty. After touchdown throw the elevator at it to raise the nose as high as you can get. Don't worry about the tail boom or the fins, I've tried to get them to scape and you just can't seem to make that happen with the engine running. Whatever you do make sure you have plenty of elevator throw in this thing or you'll run out on landing.

It will shock you at how slow the landing approach will be. Takeoffs are another story. She eats up some runway on takeoff especially if you want to punch a hole in a cloud.

Robert
Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM
ftjets

Recieved my kit yesterday. About the same time as a full business workload. [] Oh well, i'll start on it sometime soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.