Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Spartacus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot Retracts?

I've tried to read all the posts I could find on retracts for the Patriot. What I've learned thus far is that mechanicals are less expensive than pneumatics but require a lot more time to setup. What about weight between mechanical and pneumatic systems. Is a mechanical system lighter or heavier than a pneumatic system?

Thanks
Spartacus
Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Patriot Retracts?

Mechanicals can be a bit lighter........ if you rig them with a single retract servo.

For the patriot, I prefer pnumatic gear. I had spring-air's in mine. Weights about 3 oz more than a mechanical installation. The gear are bulllet proof too........ all metal...... no cheap plastic.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

A stalled servo in a mechanical system can also run down your receiver battery. I've seen diagrams showing how to wire a battery to power the retract servo.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

If the concern is weight just go with an Air System like Spring Air or the like... I have no idea how to do Mech's with only one retract servo---

The Spring airs always come down, when the air pressure is too low or a leak or disconnect occurs they come down- for 3 oz. it is worth the piece of mind!

I currently have a Patriot with mechanicals but only because I bought it that way- they work all right but there is too much play in the mechanism, and getting them set was kinda a pain-

I would like to try the B&D units also-

Keep us posted!
Old 09-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Spartacus
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the replies. For only a 3 oz. difference in weight for pneumatic retracts seems to me to be the way to go. From all the past posts I've read, I didn't find one that wished they had gone with mechanicals after first going with pneumatics. But there were a few they stated if they had it to do all over again they would go pneumatic.
My next problem is which pneumatic system to buy. There seems to be two main choices that have been used, B&D and Spring Air. I don't have exact prices yet but it appears the Spring Airs may be as much as twice the money as the B&D's for the complete system. Am I missing something or is that accurate? The B&D's from the Tower site claim to be a complete system, retracts, bottle and valve. Are they truly complete or are there additional components or pieces that I'll have to purchase if I go with them? Are there any other issues I should be aware of with B&D's?

Thanks again
Spartacus
Old 09-26-2004, 11:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the B&D retracts in a 60 size cermark F 20 they work well but a little harder to
install because they are larger than most . also the mains have a pin that moves in and
out with the action i had to drill a hole in the ribs for it to clear.

Ira d