Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust Construction

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Construction

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:18 PM
robert92679

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Dust Construction

Here's a question for experienced Diamond Dust builders...

I'm on the step where the Kevlar thread is wrapped around the spars and LE at the ribs. Simple enough on the outboard ribs. How do you wrap the thread at rib #1 where it meets the motor mount? The plans seem to show the thread slipping between the rib and the motor mount, but wouldn't this interfere with the tri-stock that is to be installed later to reinforce the motor mout/rib joint? Also, the motor mount already is glued to the rib. Is it necessary to drill a small hole to pass the thread?

Any other suggestions on modifications/reinforcements? I was considering adding small lite-ply doublers on the bottom of the motor mount where the engine screws will be. I was also considering reinforcing the elevons with fiberglass tape and epoxy on the bottom side. I lost a .40 size Shrike once when the elevator split.

I'll be using a YS .45 RE with the Hatori pipe, and Hitec 605 servos @ 6 volts.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: Diamond Dust Construction

Drill a small hole to pass thread through if no hole is there already. Just got ahead and wrap the threading like plans say. What I did for the triangle stock was notch out the part where the thread touched. I just knocked out until I was able to seat the triangle stock flush with motor mount.

For the engine mount part sounds like you have right idea with the ply doubler. I did the same thing but sandwiched to ply pieces onto the mount.

As for the control surface that is up to you. It would make it stronger but I never had mine fail or split with the stock set up.

Here is pic of how I did my threading up front. It can give you an idea. You can see a small gap where I knotched out for threading. This is before I cut out and added ply for engine mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90451.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	128486  
Old 05-02-2004, 11:00 PM
robert92679

Hey, thanks a bunch. Your message clears it right up. I figured it was something like that, but I was a bit reluctant to start poking holes that weren't described in the plans/instructions.

Robert
Old 05-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Evil Homer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey FlooredCobra
What engine you using on there....
Old 05-03-2004, 05:18 PM
FlooredCOBRA

It is a MVVS .40 GRRT FAI.

It works really good with the Diamond Dust I think. The only other engine I ran in the Dust was a 46.FX which is a sport engine so it is a day and night between the two. And those are only two engine I have had hands on to compare with. So far the GRRT has been a good strong running engine on the Dust. It launches very fast and easy and will slow down down if you feel like it. It does not have to run WOT to run good, yet that is usually where I keep it at.

Only drawback I think with this engine is it only works with small props to go fast. It does good with the Dust but would be a disappointment on a heavier plane.

Here are the links to the engine and parts

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...products_id=96

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=176

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=129
Old 05-05-2004, 11:19 PM
FlooredCOBRA

robert92679 ,

Hows that Dust comming along over there? Are you about finished?

Dont forget to post some pics when you get done.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
robert92679

Thanks for checking in, but I'm sorry to say I haven't made a whole lot of progress since the last post. Been doing some business travel, and haven't found a way to take the building board with me. I'll get there, and I'll be certain to post a picture or two.

In the meantime, here's a picture of my last project. I know it doesn't quite belong in this forum, but it's still a whole lot of fun. I think the variety is one thing I really enjoy with this hobby.

Name:	Fd92286.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	129879  
Old 10-02-2004, 07:37 PM
robert92679

My Diamond Dust is now complete. It's hard to believe almost 5 months went by, but the summer past without a whole lot of building going on. Kids were out of school and the family took a few trips, so there was barely time to fly. Summer is over now and it was back to building.

The DD has a YS 45 rear exhaust with a Hatori pipe. It was built per instructions, with the exception of a small gap in the elevons to make a place to hold the tail during launch. Made 2 flights today, and it was awesome. The first was a bit hairy. It took some time to get it trimmed and settled down. The second was smooth. The color scheme works really well. Bright red on top, with white and red dots on the bottom.

Thanks for your support,

Robert

Name:	Ge95046.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	178898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28746.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	178899  
Old 10-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Ian.W

robert. im home designing a DD copy (see my whats a good aerofoil for a delta thread) and im hopefully going to use a YS 45 but i need to ask does it NEED 20% nitro like the 4 strokes and can you link me to were you bought that hattori pipe pls

Thanks
Ian
Old 10-11-2004, 09:43 PM
robert92679

Ian,

I have been running the 20/20 fuel in my YS 2-stroke, mostly because that's what I have used in my FZ-91. Some of the guys at my club field have told me it's not necessary for the YS 2-strokes. The engine instruction sheet specifies, "any good quality 2 stroke fuel, which includes synthetic or castor oil additives." The only other mention of fuel in the instruction sheet involves the tuned pipe. It says the header length, "must also be increased with lower nitro content fuel blends."

From that I presume various nitro levels are acceptable. I will say it runs GREAT on the 20/20.

I bought the engine and pipe some time ago on eBay (both NIB for a great price), so I can't refer you anyplace where I bought them. The Hatori box has a couple part numbers and description on the label. They are 'Y00015' and '#401' described as a '7.5cc muffler tuned pipe'. Perhaps someone who sells Hatori products (such as Central Hobbies) can get one for you.

Good luck with your project.

Robert
Old 10-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Ian.W

Hey Robert

thanks for the ino, im emailing central hobbies, plus a number of other manufaturars for info on pipes.

thanks again, ill keep u updated
Ian