Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Landing Whiplash on asphalt

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Landing Whiplash on asphalt

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 05:46 AM
Spraytec
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing Whiplash on asphalt

You really think the bottom of this thing will not be eaten by the asphalt runway?
I have the the thick plastic film on but I think I better glue on some skids. What are the rest of you guys doing? BTW rcvd mine with cracking on botton side of hinge lines . Should not be a problem as top side is sound and where the hinging is done. I put in a sport Jett 46 so she won't be near as fast
as my otherplane I will be taking out tommorrow, but should get along OK.BTW-RICK 1. YOu need to come up with a more fluid hinge. The stiff hinge is hell on servos and not nccessary to prevent flutter. WAY TOO STIFF! I am talking from experience. I fly IMAC and have have learned how to set up control surfaces.
2. You need some design mod- very slight- to allow proper geometry on the control setup for elevons. I had use huge horns at rear to give servo some mechanical advantage., as I needed one inch HD arms at servo to clear
tailfin. Ideally should have a straight shot.
BTW- My Fiberclassics Roo- and I know you have one -also- has a very fluid "skin" hinge.
Granted it has to travel a much greater distance, but I know my servos, and they are being put under an unneccessary load with these hinges.
3. Raise floor height of tank inset slightly.
This will get center of tank in line with carb needle for upright motor installations.
Dubb Jett will tell you this is a MUST for his engines to transition well.
GOOD PRODUCT- GREAT IDEA- Let's improve it!
Old 08-10-2002, 03:02 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default skids

Mike, the skid plate on the whiplash is designed to take a lot of punishment, its reinforced with Kevlar, but as with all painted surfaces you can wear it out, use the plastic film you refered to, that would help protect it, there is however a product out there that is designed especially for this application, I'll see if I can get the name for you.
have fun
Old 08-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Spraytec

Default Try this with a Diamond Dust!

Today the "Whip" kept a group of Palm Springs flyers out until 3 in the afternoon
in 112 Desert temperature, awaiting another
chance on the sticks. During the course of the day, the Whiplash was flown through Mesquite bushes, INTO a hillside,a fence, and landed inverted. Most spectacular of all was a deadstick by Tim Lewis where the plane dissappered below the line of sight at runway drop off and then to everyone's surprise came bouncing back up into the air for a beautiful cross runway landing. Total damage sustained thus far= ZERO!!!!! BTW- People are asking when we can some more of these babies and put me on order for a 9O!!!! Wouldn't trade mine for a truckload of Diamond Dusts!!
Here is the asphalt ticket.
ASSOCIATED #6312 Clear Protective Chassis film down the bottom center skid.
Two each of Carl Goldbergs wing tip skids on each wing tip. Drill two holes and epoxy in place. NOT REQUIRED FOR BUSHES, FENCES OR HILLSIDE LANDINGS!!!!
Rick and Co.-As you well know- you have a winner here. Tracks beautiful, extremely stable.
Mad Dog
Old 08-11-2002, 11:20 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default whiplash

Dan and I are very happy to hear this, its a brutal little plane, maybe we should have called it the masochist?

glad you guys are having fun, we'll be announcing the Backlash soon, Dans almost done with the molds... this thing looks like a VULCAN BOMBER its too cool.

The first will fly with an OS108FX we''ll see how she does, we also have a few options we'll be offering with this plane..

watch for the banners......
thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 11:32 PM
AtomicFrawg
My Feedback: (8)

Default Landing Whiplash on asphalt

LOL
Only A Few :greedy:

LOL

Later
Chris pirate:
Old 08-12-2002, 03:15 AM
Spraytec

Default Options

How about a Rudder option?
Seriously- put me one on order
with retracts!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Spraytec

Default Ideas for Backlash

Maybe three curved Kevlar skids, One in front
and one under each wing tip. They would need to be easily replaceable, and retractable. They could all be actuated off of one centrally located servo. Also an airbrake similar to the Fiberclassics Roo set-up.