Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My ZOOMER build-up (15% wing)

Old 10-10-2004, 09:52 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My ZOOMER build-up (15% wing)

Well this will take a while but I intend to keep up with my progress and keep you informed as to how it is going.

So far I ordered a Mantly Models "Zoomer" which is a 40 size speed plane designed around a class called "Animal 500". I have know idea what that is but it looks like fun to build and should move along just fine when finished I hope.

The kit comes with foam wing cores, plans, and instructions. That is all, nothing else. You need to have a good idea how to build (I hope I do) and need to buy a good bit of stuff to finish it (balsa, hardware,landing gear,etc.). Anyway with the help of a real nice guy here, who has built/flown one and some luck it should all come together here.

Here is where I am at.
1. The horizontal/vertical stabs were made with tappered leading and trailing edges for less resistanence. The rudder was made bigger per the planes to make the plane a little more fun to fly and I guess maybe a little less competitive. The plans have 2 outlines for the rudder. One for racing and one for sport flying. I sure as hell ain't racing so the sport rudder was used. The racing rudder has 1/2 the area as the sport rudder has.

2. I have the wings ready to be joined. Covering was real easy after a nice guy around here gave me a bunch of insight and suggestions as to how to cover my first set of wings. I have to tell you that it was real easy after I gave it a try and the wings are nearly perfect. One wing has the slightest of bow's in it (maybe 1/8") but I am sure that will not be noticable to me. I ordered the 15% symetrical wing. The kit can be purchased with 3 different wing types (12% race, 12% semi, 15% full sym.) I kind of wish I had bought the 12% race wing since I have other fun planes to screw around with and will probably buy some core's later and end up with 2 wings for this plane.

Well I have about 4-5 pics that I am now ging to TRY and attach.

Happy fly'in,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24168.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	181493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28371.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	181494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32750.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	181495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31852.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	181496  
Old 10-11-2004, 10:25 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My ZOOMER build-up (15% wing)

Looks good Dave..........

Keep the photos coming as you progress
Old 10-13-2004, 10:45 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I got my firewall made and spent a bite of time getting the opening in the fuse were the gear goes cutout today. Here is a great way to do it. Draw out what you what to cut and then hook up a shop vac to the nose of the fuse and tape it there. Then use a high speed (dremal) and grind it out with the vacuem on. You get no mess and can't even smell it at all if you have a good filter on your vacuem.

Dave
Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I did a pro's job (for the first time) at glassing the center section of the wing. Damn it was real easy after I got a good few hints at how to do it right. It was a bit easier than I thought it would be too. I used 2 different weights of glass (2oz, 5oz). First I cut out a piece of 5oz that is about 7" wide and a little bit shorter than the wing is (in length, that's fore and aft). I then cut out a piece of 2oz cloth that is about 2" wider and the goes the full length of the wing. When I am saying full length I mean from the leading edge to the trailing edge. Get EVERYTHING ready to go BEFORE you mix you epoxy. For joining the wing and glassing it. I used 3hr epoxy because it gives great strength and plenty of working time. I would not of had the great results if I had used 30min because I do not work fast enough.

To do it try this.
1. Put some wax paper down on the bench and tape it there for a work surface.
2. I then had everything ready to go and mixed up a bunch of 3hr epoxy. I used one of hobby mixing cups that are graduated so you always get your epoxy mixed 50/50.
3. I started by laying down a moderately thick coat on the wings surface.
4. I then laided down the 5oz cloth and worked out all the air out from under the cloth.
5. I then added more epoxy to the top of the cloth and then layed down the 2 oz cloth over the 5oz cloth.
6. Now with everything on the wing I added enough epoxy to cover COMPLETELY the glass. When I was done you could not see the weave. It was smooth.
7. Here is what made it look so good this morning. I had placed some wax paper over everything and worked out all the air from under the paper with a playing card. This makes the epoxy SMOOTH and if you work out the excess towards the wing tips gives you a perfect taper and MINIMAL sanding.
8. With that out of the way I placed some weight on the wing tips to prevent it from possibly warping while curing. I also placed a paper back book (med book) over the whole thing to help prevent any air from sneaking back up in there.

BO YA - This morning I took it apart and it look GREAT.

Now I will be doing the other side.

Dave
Old 10-18-2004, 07:51 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I have both sides of the wing glassed. This is BY FAR the best job I have ever done so far. I also have the firewall made and installed. To do it I mounted the engine to it once I had it in the plane and then put the prop and spinner on with 3 thin pieces of balsa behing the spinner to give it the gap I wanted. With everthing aligned I then glued the firewall in with 30 minute epoxy. In the pic of the tail, you should know that the horizontal stab will be mounted about 2/3 up from the bottom of the fus. I still need to make the cut-outs which luckily are scribbed in the side of the fus from the factory. NICE...

Here are some more pics.

Dave

Name:	Bz78146.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	184046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37480.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	184047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14757.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	184048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94028.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	184049  
Old 10-18-2004, 07:56 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the nose of the fus you can see that it looks darker. That is because I took the remaining 30 min epoxy and made fuel proofer out of it by adding some iso to it. It is real thin so it really will not add any weight to speak of and know I am sure that the glass is sealed.

Dave

PS - I would love any thoughts as to what I am doing right/wrong from those of you WITH experience with pylon planes. THANKS...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I have been one upped I think, by my roommate. He JUST ordered a Lanier Predeter 500 and a Jett .50. I suspect I am going to get my rearend handed to me. Oh well i better spend some time and make sure mine looks better at least because I can't afford a Jett at the moment. I WILL have one in the future and maybe in time for spring.

Damn,
Dave
Old 10-22-2004, 09:20 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depends on what engine you plan on using. The zoomer is capable of faster speeds than a standard quickee, just needs the right engine.

I would suggest drizzling an epoxy with chopped glass or carbon fiber around the edges of the firewall. Best on the inside if you can get in there.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went to a craft store and bought that foam that is green and weighs about nothing and is VERY sandable. I then glued it to the tips with 30 minute epoxy that was heavily loaded with microballons to help keep the weight down. When it dries and after I finish studying for a huge test on thursday I will be sanding it down into some related shape to the photos above.

Thats again guys,
Dave
Old 10-26-2004, 10:20 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't know you were from Apple Valley.

I'm just up on the North side of town, and fly at the Grassfield in Brooklyn Park.

Small World.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do they recommend 5oz. cloth? I am not familiar with the Zoomer other than pics and stuff I read here but 5 oz. is VERY heavy... And 2oz. is pretty thick for the whole wing---

Pic look great thats for sure!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:03 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Razor, I'm pretty sure that the 5 oz and 2 oz are just in the center section. At least it looks that way from his pictures and description.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah.. just on the center section ...... typical q-500 reinforcement
Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The plans call for 6oz in the center section and that's it. I was uable to find 6oz cloth so I used 5oz and then a slightly larger 2oz as a second layer to gain the missing strenght and to help taper it. It is only in the center section. I will have some more pics after the weekend when I will have some time to sand down the wingtips to shape. I think it will be real messy so it will need to be done in the garage.

My roommates .50 Jett engine and Lanier predator 500 are do soon and I can't wait to see both. I really can't wait to get to check out the Jett 50. If he doesn't care I'd like to take a look inside of it a little, just the ports and their shape/location. Cool stuff.

Dave
Old 10-27-2004, 10:18 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave.......

although I know you are curious...its generally not a good idea to pull apart a new engine unless you have to. If you must, pull the backplate only... not the head. [8D]

What you did for the center section is pretty typical of what I like to do. I usually have a 5" wide strip of 6oz cloth down the center, then a layer of 2 oz cloth over that. Makes for a nice edge, and feathers nicely. I also have a proceedure for laying down 3 layers of 2 oz material, alternating the weave bias 45 on the middle layer.

On those wingtips...... why change from the stock design ? That green foam is pretty heavy......last thing you want is mass on the wingtips..
Old 10-27-2004, 12:38 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Bob27, I will only pull the back plate if you say to. I would hate to screw something up. In regards to the green foam, you and I have to be talking about something different because it weighs nothing and I mean it is SUPER lite. It is actually lighter than the foam that the wing is made of.

The drawings only show a top down view of the tips so I was looking to see how they should look if viewed from the front to the back and from the outboard looking inboard. The drawings show the trailing edge continuing out a little bit further than the leading edge. If there had been a little bit better drawing or if I had ANY experience with fast planes I wouldn't have brought it up. I also have another post around here in regards to the wingtips and a few guys have posted some good looking wingtips that I think are pretty typical of this type plane.

On Friday I will be shaping the tips and will have pics so you can tell me what you think. If it looks goofy please let me know. I can handle redoing it if it is not perfect.

Thanks, Dave
Old 10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i must be thinking of some other foam.......you are right.

Anything on the wing tips will work. There is little you can do go goof it up.

If I remember, all I had on my Zoomer years ago was flat sheet wingtips extended out from the core. Just like most of the Q-500 designs. Simple, light, no substantial sanding involved. Covering just took a few extra minutes.

Name:	Ec88325.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	187235  
Old 10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well my wing tips are done are are in the first pics. The other 2 pics are of my roommates Lanier Predator 500 and Jett 50 that just came today. Damn that is one nice motor.

Dave
Old 10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks very good.

I would suggest your roomate put on a standard sport .40 or .46 engine on the Predator and get it trimmed out before going to the Jett.

A Jett right off the bat on one of those can be a handfull if you are not use to the speed.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like we got a couple new potential racers down on the South side of town.....

You guys gotta come up to the Grassfield in Brooklyn Park next spring.

Put an O.S. .46AX on the nose of a predator, and you will get speeds of slightly over 120 mph.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:55 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boy you guys can read our minds. He is starting with the gear out of another plane that includes a OS .46ax. Since the mounting specs are the same for the Jett. This will be a solid 40mph increase over anything we have flown before. That Predator 500 sure looks well built. The V-tail is glassed in the center where the 2 halves join as is the wing in the center section.

As for the racing, we are just building for kicks but I am sure there will be some competition between the 2 of us.

Here are some pics of my wing tips and his plane/engine.

Name:	Mk27157.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	187761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53002.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	187762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89943.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	187763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40281.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	187764  
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The purple looking glue is just 30min epoxy with a bunch of microballoons added.

Dave

SORRY guys, my computer was acting all funny last night and won't upload anything I thought. So sorry about the reposting of the same pics.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

Looks very good.

I would suggest your roomate put on a standard sport .40 or .46 engine on the Predator and get it trimmed out before going to the Jett.

A Jett right off the bat on one of those can be a handfull if you are not use to the speed.
Good point Dave..

however, remember...this on has a throttle I would suggest the new owner use it a bit at first. The plane will be happy taking off and flying below half throttle.

Not to be a nag, but make sure your buddy takes the time to break in the engine per the instructions prior to installing it on the airframe.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have read the instructions and informed him to not do it with out me so we get it just right. The directions are just great on setting up the engine but in all honestly it will not probably get started til spring. He also wants to do a little racing with me when we both have the 46's in them. The engine will probably be stored til spring when he and the plane are ready for it. This all depends on if HE can wait to try it!

Damn that Jett 50 is sweet look'in.

Dave
Old 10-29-2004, 09:15 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will like the Jett .50, it is a sweet running engine. Mine is very happy with a standard Apc 10x7 prop, hauls my spitfire around nicely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service