Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Pro 46

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Thunder Tiger Pro 46

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:28 PM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Pro 46

I had an earlier post where several guys suggested a few changes for more speed. I got an OS #8 plug and some 9-7 APC props. They suggested using the "Tower muffler for $14". I called Tower Hobbies and they didn't know about it. Tower suggested the Max muffler for $32-ouch[X(] . Does anyone know the actual stock # for the Tower muffler or some discription so I can be sure to get a good muffler. Thanks. Deltatech
Old 10-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Pro 46

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJB16&P=ML]Tower Muffler 46[/link]

Sounds like GREAT cust. service-
Old 10-19-2004, 06:30 PM
deltatech

Thanks for the info.I saw that looking thru the tower website.It does not look like anything special.Will this muffler give me better performance than stock? How does it compare to the Max muffler?Thanks Deltatech
Old 10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

The Tower muffler is a deal at $14 and in my experience will give another 300/400 rpm on a 10x6 with 15% but is a little louder. I am not familiar with their "max" muffler. An ultra Thrust muffler by [I believe] Performance Specialities will give a 1300/1400 rpm boost with the same combo. A new UT is about $66-$67 but I just happen to have a nice one for $45 shipped. It looks just like a long muffler not a tuned pipe and I think if you go to their web sight you would see a photo.
E-mail me if your interested
Fred B
Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Razor-RCU

In my experience the Tower muff. usually gives 500-1M rpm's over stock... What looks special to you?

The UT muffler is the best but $
Old 10-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember who your dealing with. A bunch of telemarketers reading off cue cards. They don't know left from right. Asking them a peformance question is is exceeding their capabilites. The perception is thateverybody who works at tower flys and that could not be farther from the truth. If you call them for a question you may as well be calling Burger King!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Razor-RCU

Its not even performance, it is "I need the Tower 46 Muffler"

One of their products...[X(]
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
deltatech

Sorry guys it's not max it's MACS products. Look on Tower for item # LXZ652. I'm sure some of you guys have seen these used before so how do they do for performance? I can call MACS directly but all they will say is there product is the best and to buy it[:@]
Old 10-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: deltatech

Sorry guys it's not max it's MACS products. Look on Tower for item # LXZ652. I'm sure some of you guys have seen these used before so how do they do for performance?
I have asked many users about a performance gain with the MACS muffler and no one claimed a large rpm increase. The main advantage is it is one piece so you do not lose the back half in flight.

I have seen several people use the tower muffler on TT 46 engines and they see up to a 1000 rpm gain with prop sizes such as 10x6 and 9x7. The bad part is they come apart often in flight and you lose part of the muffler. I think you can order just the back half. I do not think it is always the nut backing off the screw when it comes apart. It seems that maybe when too tight the expansion from heat may stretch the screw.

The UltraThrust is the most expensive but gives the most rpm gain and never comes apart.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
deltatech

Thanks for the useful information Mike. The stock muffler from Thunder Tiger is a two piece also. I used to have trouble with it leaking oil and making the airplane a mess by the end of the day. I glued the halfs together with high temp orange rtv. Maybe this idea would stop the tower mufflers from falling apart. At any rate thanks for the reply and I plan on getting a Tower muffler based on the confident feed back from RCU members.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Razor-RCU

I agree- most say the MACS gives the same rpm as a stock muff. - baffle

I also think they are ugly- no offense folks!

I have had 3 and never a problem with them coming apart- blue loctite does it
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
NitroWoman

Hey Razor, Would you be willing to sell that Tower muffler that gives 1 million RPM over stock?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Razor-RCU

Close Nitrowoman, but nope- No-one pays attention to my posts anyway.... 1M ("M" is the Roman numeral for one-thousand) pheewww, almost had me...

I am pretty sure the Ultra-Thrust muffler will get a gain of roughly 1 Million though, basd on what I've read....[X(]

And the light in my shed is 3,600 RPM's
Old 10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The Tower Hobbies .46 muffler is an interesting beast. It is "semi' tuned (at least, that is the way I describe it)

The muffler seems to have a "tuning" length which provides boost just over 15.5K rpm, and will give you a decent performance boost up around 14.5-17K rpm range. You have to prop the engine to get up that high to see much of a tuning effect. Not hard to do, it just requires correct prop selection. Make sure your prop selection permits the engine to turn just over 15K rpm on the ground (slightly rich) before launch, and you will get a pretty good result.

Be sure to balance the prop. Helps the muffler live a bit longer. Some red RTV at the muffler joints (when it is NEW) will help keep it together a bit longer.

As noted, either a Jett-Stream or ultra-thrust muffler are more uniquely tuned to provide performance boost, and can provide superior results to the Tower muffler installation.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:55 PM
deltatech

Here is a queston I know some of you guys won't like. How about using 30% nitro 22% synth oil heli fuel in my TT46? I have a gallon of heli fuel sitting around and I may get the itch to burn it. Will this just burn up my engine? Thanks. Deltatech