Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Advise or Tip Asembling Weston Magnum

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Advise or Tip Asembling Weston Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Isaac F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise or Tip Asembling Weston Magnum

Well, I will beguin asembling my Weston Magnum.

I already bought a new 8 oz Dubro Fuel Tank. The 10oz Dubro one was to wide to fit.

Has any of you has fit a 10oz tank??? What brand???

I also will going to reinforce the Wing Mounting block on the fuselage.

OK, any other advise or tip.

THX

Isaac
Old 07-21-2002, 09:08 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

well done on the tank, we've only got 6oz SLEC tanks, mght have to look more into the others, tho.... the brass tubes dont last long and drop off giving you all sorts of troubles.
the block renforcing is a good idea, also none of us like the M3 screws straight into the wood idea, one plane has been left that way, one drilled a new hole for a nylon wing bolt, the other used captive nuts in the original holes to make the screw location stronger.
only other thing i can think of is, after whats been said about the GF look film, just use some clear tape on the LE of the film to stop it lifting
Old 08-11-2002, 04:36 AM
Isaac F

Default Slowly asembling my Weston Magnum

Well, today I install The servos and I change the elevator white pushrod since they was very tite and was harder to move it.
I replace it with Sullivan Gold - N - Rod yellow ones.

Installing the Engine on the mount and dont know how to put the nuts to atach the engine, since there is no space to incert my fingers under the motor mount tu put the nuts
I think I going to install the engine with some wood screw.

The instrucction says to cut some 15 milimiters fron the mount but I dont understand what I would gain with this

To the right side of the throttle servo there is a rectagular space that looks like you can put the battery there but the instrucction says to put the battery between the throttle servo and the fuel tank.......so what is the purpose of that space????

I decide to pill off the Fake Carbon Fiber monokote.......I try to iron it but was a waste of time........... I will try to do some decoration with other trim or stikers.

I am still flying the West 50 engine on a 40 Size airplane with a 10 x 6 and 10% nitro 20% oil.....Getting 17,000 RPM.

I going to make some test on Sunday with 15% Nitro.

Any advise would be welcome.

Isaac
Old 08-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Isaac F

Well, I try 15% nitro today and get the same 17,000 RPM´s.
Also I close more the gap between the header and the pípe and still the same RPM. The only thing I note was that the engine has more torque. The plane almost does not want to turn to the left.
Also on fast vertical ascent, I can roll the airplane many times and the airplane almost not lost speed.
Last thing, the airplane develope some flutter on the ailerons, but I land safely
I hope this week I can finish the Magnum airplane.
Here is the engine and airplane I am using at this time.

http://community.webshots.com/storag...1EzIHgP_ph.jpg
http://community.webshots.com/storag...1zRqLVa_ph.jpg
Old 08-12-2002, 04:29 AM
johnd

i have a west 50 if you read the instructions it will tell you the props to use and how short to have the pipe,i use a apc 8/8 prop and have shortened the pipe by 1 inch or you can use a 9/7 prop and leave the pipe the length you got it i also use 10 % pro synth 2000 fuel as recomended by the manufacturer and it goes really well on this set up any probs go to www.westonuk.co.uk and e mail them
Old 08-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Isaac F

Hello Jonhd, yes I know about the instrucction. But I dont one to put a smaller prop at this time because I dont think the airplane I am using know is going to sustain the speed.
With the configuration I have now I am having some flutter. I am using a Kaos type airplane at the moment until I finish the Magnum.
I just was giving some report here of what I doing and my results.
Even if some one want to use this engine in a sport plane is a good choice because with a 10 x 6 prop is really fast and the engine transition respond from low to hi is superb.

Isaac
Old 08-13-2002, 04:50 AM
johnd

why are you trying to get more rpm out of the engine if there are too many as it is you should have finished the mugnum in a evening there is nothing to do to them my advice to you is to leave the other plane in the shed before it flutters it self intro the ground and wrecks the west engine.
happy flyin