Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Any Great Planes Propjet (F-4,F-14,F15)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Any Great Planes Propjet (F-4,F-14,F15)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Great Planes Propjet (F-4,F-14,F15)

I am considering building one of these. Kits are still around if you look hard enough. Probably install a Jett 90. Like to hear about it and pictures would be nice. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:32 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Any Great Planes Propjet (F-4,F-14,F15)

There is a guy in my club with an F-15. I think he has an older Webra .50 in it. It was nearly as quick as my Kanke F-20. He has flown it for about 8 years. I have a set of plans on loan to make copies of from another guy who built one but hasn't flown anything but control line???[sm=bananahead.gif]
I fear one day he may ask me to maiden it for him.

PM me
Old 09-18-2004, 09:15 PM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cyclik,
I just so happen to be flying an F-15 with a Jett 90. I'm still playing around with props to get the max. out of it.
I'll try to put the wing on and get some pics of it in the next day or so, however no close ups, it has been through the mill.

Talk to you soon,
Ken
Old 09-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Thanks, If you scroll down a couple pages, you'll see my Ultra Sport with the Jett.90. Very nice, fast and stable set up. My concerns on the F-15 is getting that .90 in the front without making the front end look like only a canopy and the engine. Does not seem to be much "nose" on it.

I am running a 12/7 on my Ultra Sport and at the moment-is a very good prop. I'am staying with it for a while so that when I do change out, it will be an obvious noticeable difference (good or bad). Its difficult to see the difference unless you fly it a while.

I also have a hot Shoestring and after a year, I tried another prop and it was very noticable. Lost a lot of speed so I switched back.
ORIGINAL: kennyandannie

Hey Cyclik,
I just so happen to be flying an F-15 with a Jett 90. I'm still playing around with props to get the max. out of it.
I'll try to put the wing on and get some pics of it in the next day or so, however no close ups, it has been through the mill.

Talk to you soon,
Ken
Old 09-19-2004, 09:44 AM
kennyandannie

Here are a few pics of my F-15 with the Jett 90, that is if I can figure out how to upload the images.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19770.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	174838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21889.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	174839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78150.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	174840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77672.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	174841  
Old 09-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Cyclic Hardover

This is very good. thank you. Are you using retracts?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 PM
kennyandannie

Sorry, should have gone PM
Old 09-20-2004, 10:40 AM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

I have a GP F-15. Mine is built pretty much stock with a Thunder Tiger .46. I only got 6-7 flights on it before I had to do some work on the elevators but in that short amount of time I can tell you that it's not aerobatic, but a smooth and really easy flier. Does slow and beautiful landings! Since I got a 46 in it, performance isn't ballistic, but I like cruising around and moderate speeds anyways. I like it, kinda relaxing and fun to watch.

About the only gripes I have about the kit is that the instructions tell you to seal up the fuel tank within the nose section and the nose gear is virtually inaccessable (I fly off of grass ). I made a small hatch to get to the nose gear, but built the tank as per instructions. I haven't had any problems (yet) but when I do, it might get kinda messy having to cut into the nose to get it out to do any maintenance. [:'(] I also had to cut a hatch in the rear of the plane to stuff my battery to get it to balance. And, err uhm..... I guess that's it. Here's a couple of pictures of mine...one in the bones and the other pre-maiden.

john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94747.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	175205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89050.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	175206  
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
KOZLOF

answering original question....
F15 looks real cool in the air. But give it good power, tuned pipe 'something' makes it fly more jetlike.
Is actually quite easy to fly, and easy to land. Just watch for nose drop on steep banks. It likes to 'look' toward earth!!

Now a question to Kenny....... with some 'tips' embedded >>

I started with an OS 46 with pipe.
considered a 60, but this plane builds nose heavy already
I too put all radio/servo gear back 'one bay', and put battery at very back, just to balance a 46.
Now I have a Rossi 53 with pipe. Balance stayed in acceptable range.

But with a 90?? did you add a lot of weight to the tail? I hate to add weight for the sake of weight.

BTW, it flys very well with the Rossi. Improved the vertical tremendously over the OS 46 set up.

I call my F15 my 'high wind plane'. It's what I choose when the winds start churning past the 15mph range. The F15 penetrates and tolerates the wind very well.

My other 'propjet' is the Patriot.......... being almost a pound lighter than F15, with same powerplants, it really attracts attention at the field.

Fred Kozlof.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:38 PM
kennyandannie

Kozlof,
My Jett 90 didn't change the balance a whole lot. All I had to do was switch to a 5 cell, move it to the rear and use a lighter nose wheel.

It flies very well, I also use it as one of my high wind planes, it even handles crosswinds well. It is a lot of fun, but not my fastest plane in the hanger.

Ken
Old 10-30-2004, 09:18 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a GP F-15 with over 300 flights on it. As previously stated it's easy to fly and land but not very aerobatic. I started out with an OS46 and it wasn't fast enough to be jet like. Adding a full length Mac tuned pipe really made it come alive. That's a good combination. The plane is already nose heavy so a larger engine just means more weight in the back. Also that airframe has a lot of drag (and no retracts) so a bigger engine probably won't be much faster.

Of the planes you mentioned the F-14 is the nicest flier. A Jett 90 might even be a bit of overkill for that. If I had a Jet 90 looking for a home I'd put it in the new Patriot XL. I have the origional Patriot and it flys very well, very maneuverable and lands like a trainer. Do a RCU search for Patriot XL. There are several threads on it. Even though it calls for a 60 sized engine several are putting Jett 90's in them for all out performance.

Joe
Old 10-30-2004, 09:23 AM
kennyandannie

Joe,

I have a Patriot XL coming, moving my Jett 90 to that bird is my exact plan, how'd you know?

This should be a sweet combo. My other Jett, a Sport Jett 50, is in my Predator 500, pretty fast indeed.

Gotta' love that speed!!!

Ken
Old 11-01-2004, 09:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

"Full throttle Fred" happened to be at the field with his F-15 on Saturday. It was indeed fast. In fact, it took me a little while to get it on video. However, I perservered and eventually got quite a bit of footage with the plane actually in the center of the frame. I got several fast, low passes, and the soon to be famous "touchless and go". For those who are wondering, it really is amazing how slow one can land this plane.

After some filming, I pitted my sorry little World Models Aircombat zero against Fred's F-15. The OS 32 FSR was just no match for Fred's piped Rossi .53. However, the little OS tried its best and actually turned in a respectable performance. It did well enough that we were able to do some formation flying, sort of. It's been a long time since my show team days, I'll have to work on this some more.

I'll have to get my Shrike 10 built and then ask for a rematch. I think the rear exhaust K&B 3.5cc with pipe should let me hang a bit closer. Of course I've got to be careful, if it turns out too fast, I'm sure Fred will get out his Patriot and then I'll be in big trouble.