Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

WTH is wrong with great planes? Am I to fussy?!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

WTH is wrong with great planes? Am I to fussy?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default WTH is wrong with great planes? Am I to fussy?!

I don't think so, I just spent the last 45 minutes trying to get the covering on my GP Little Toni to shrink.
The last 2 great planes kits I've bought (an U CAN DO 3D and this toni) have both been horrible. The covering is SOOO wrinkled it will not shrink. I have tried using the iron, and the heat gun, at multiple temp settings, and the covering won't shrink in 90% of the area's. Where it does shrink their balsa is so bloody rough under the covering it looks worse than when it was wrinkled.
I give up, I've had it with this kit. I'm going to strip all the covering and paint the damn thing.
This will be my last GP kit ever, when I had the problems with the UCANDO great planes told me to send the kit back to them for evaluation and they MIGHT replace it. Well god, it would cost me $100 to ship that box each way, the little toni wouldn't be any better.
I paid $369canadian for this kit, no, it's not a lot of money, and I don't expect it to be perfect, but I do expect it to look at least OK. Vmar kits look better than the covering job on this thing.

I thought that maybe I had gotten a bad kit with the U CAN DO, so I thought fine, I'll try this one, but never again. I don't particularly like ARF's anyway, but this thing looks awful.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else have any idea why GP doesn't care and offers 0 customer support? When I had the UCANDO I kept the issue private at first, it was only after their "to bad so sad" reply that I posted anything about it. This time I'm just sick of it. Like I say, I don't expect it to be perfect (thank god, there's lots of things about it I think are stupid) but I at least expect the covering to tighten up. Don't they stretch this stuff even a little bit when they're covered?
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
drnickm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTH is wrong with great planes? Am I to fussy?!

I have had good luck with GP Kits. Most ARF's need a little help. My 60 U can do took about 10 minutes to tighten up. Thats about usual.

Nick\
Old 11-07-2004, 06:06 PM
LGM Graphix

if it was 10 minutes, or even an hour to do the entire airplane that would be acceptable, but a covering job that will not tighten up is not acceptable.
I've been in this hobby a long time, yes I do have pretty high standards, but I don't feel that a half assed covering job is unreasonable, but this thing doesn't even pass for half assed unfortunately
Old 11-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LAST 3 GP ARFS I had were terrible:
1/4 scale patty wagstaff extra 300: wing tube did not fit fix=sand out paper wing tubes
Lancair ES : stab had 8mm tubes 10mm aluminum tube sent with arf & mono-wrinkle-kote ARG
CAP 231EX arf .46 size soft landing gear bent on maiden 3pc cowl did not fit

it seems the 1st gen release of thier 1/3 pitts was had wing problems
Old 11-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

OK Jeremy... First off, you are not too picky! The GP airplanes used to be pretty decent now I actually avoid them unless I am willing to do extra work on it-

I had the AT-6 Texan and the covering was horrible! Not sure if they use Monokote or Ultracote or whatever but it was sad... I live in San Diego CA. the temps around here are not very extreme to cause covering problems usually-

I appreciate it when someone gives a heads-up about a product, your complaint is legitimate and decent customer service would have handled this IMMEDIATELY!

On a side note- If I had skills like you I would paint every airplane, screw the covering!

James
Old 11-07-2004, 08:10 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

The reply a friend of mine got was...in the country it it made , it's very humid, and as the wood drys out and shrinks underneath the Monokote, the wrinkles appear...Also, I guess getting shipped over here in a container, where it can get really hot sometimes(?) probably doesn't do it much good either...
Those are the 2 most talked about reasons for it at our clubs.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:02 PM
LGM Graphix

well, I'm just pissed off at it enough that it's going back on the shelf for now, I'll build my Bandit first, once it's done I'll pull the toni down again. I've got a good 6 months of winter to go through now anyway
Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

o- is it cold where you are?

San Diego seems fine...hmmm-
Old 11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I know what you mean about the Wrinkles. A buddy of mine has a U Can Do .40 and his ailerons were warped.

We tried twisting back flat and using heat gun to shrink covering tight and hold shape flat. It didnt work to well. The added colors on top of the white shrunk and left that nasty bleed color goo. The covering just seemed to keep on wrinkling instead of shrinking. It was a pain and a let down that a simple problem couldnt be fixed like that.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:05 AM
LGM Graphix

Well, after one more attempt, I've decided that hell with it, it's going to get stripped and painted, this will be the last GP kit, arf, or product I buy sadly though. To many dissappointments.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:07 AM
ivansie

Just the opposite here. We started building a GP Lancair that had some wrinkles on (not excesive but noticeable) and after about 1 hour of heat gun/iron the covering looks like glass... not one wrinkle that you can notice. We took our time and also the wings are long (80").

Peace
Old 12-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

watch that lancair parts and directions:
I have one and the 8mm spar tube for the stab was 10mm :-(
then you have ta call Greif Pains and deal with them

ARG
Old 12-19-2004, 05:29 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Iv'e had pretty good luck with GP so far. I have a GP RV-4 and ultimate bipe kits and can't complain about either. the only GP ARF I have is the Viper 500. Only complaint is that the balsa on the wings is a little soft and easy to dent. I also have ordered a UCD 3D 46. I originally bought a 60 size but decided to change it. Not because I was unhappy with it, just decided to get the smaller one to save some $$. Like I said GP have been pretty good to me so far. Next time before you take the model home open the box and inspect it. Provided you didn't order it online.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
PeterC

Jeremy, where did you get the kit from? If it's that bad, take it back. This last season I bought a GP Viper and when I took it out of the box I noticed wrinkles on the centre section of the wing. After a few minutes with the iron it became apparent that it was not the covering but the fiberglass had not bonded to the sheeting! This was impossible to fix so I took it back and Great Hobbies exchanged it for a new and better one. If we don't return unsatisfactory merchandise they'll keep pumping it out to us. Demand the best!!
Hope to see you this next flying season. I have a Rossi powered Lazer Arrow and would like to see just how fast it is.
Happy New Year.
Peter
Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 PM
LGM Graphix

Peter,
I could have taken it back and I know Jim (PM hobbies) would have dealt with it, but at the same time, I don't feel that it should be the hobby stores issue completely either. The main reason I can't be bothered, is the last couple GP kits I've had have all been the same and when I contacted GP's customer service I was treated like crap. Taking it back isn't an option now since I have already started on the fuse. Also, being in red deer, it means I have to find 4 hours in a day during business hours where I can actually take a trip to calgary to the hobby shop and back.
Nah, at this point, I'm just done with GP's products, if they at least had reasonable customer service it would be a different story, but they are way out to lunch with what they think is acceptable service.

As for that Laser Arrow, we'll put it up against my bandit
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 AM
PeterC

Hi Again,
Well Jeremy, I don't think it is a dealer problem. I know the kit I returned was returned to the distributor for exchange or credit and this is how it should be. I am sure GP never saw it but I bet they did hear about it and if enough are returned or enough gripes are expressed in this forum they will improve them. Witness the first version of the Lanier Predator vs the second edition, much improved due to complaints and some input from racers. Racing does improve the breed. I wish they could spend as much effort on the product as they do on the box art.
AS for Bandit vs. Arrow we will have to find some neutral territory to fly. I hear your field has become a quiet zone. Keep me posted for a good time to "Have a Go!"
Cheers,Peter
Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I'm building my first ARF, a Venus. The covering was good everywhere- it would shrink up. Except for the h stab and elevators. I don't think you are being to fussy. No amount of heat will get mine to shrink. I think it will also be my last ARF. Mike
Old 01-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Methor

If you buy an actual kit, you wont run into that problem...unless you are horrible at covering...like me :-D But that's a different story.

Jägermeister