Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Quick question- Super Tiger/Thunder tiger

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Quick question- Super Tiger/Thunder tiger

Old 11-04-2004, 07:03 PM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question- Super Tiger/Thunder tiger

I need a new engine for a 13 lb scale B-2 model "yes the one in the special issue of Model Aviation". I've come to love my TT46 in my GP Tracer and was considering the TT61 from Tower $100. I guess TT doesn't have a 90 size but I noticed in Tower that Super Tiger does have a 90 for $120. The ST90 will give me .7hp more than the TT61 and weighs just about the same. Do Super Tiger users have the same love for their engines that TT owners have? I like O.S. too but don't want to spend that much $$$.
p.s. In the picture it looked like the muffler on the Super Tiger can rotate. Is this true?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 PM
ooooo

Default RE: Quick question- Super Tiger/Thunder tiger

Huh???? correct me if I'm wrong here....a 13 lb plane with a .91 for power? I don't think you will get off the ground with authority.
For a 13 lb plane I'd recommend a 120 - 140 size engine. In that case you can go with the ST 2300 which is a 140 size engine swinging an APC 18 X 6. Now you are talking power with authority.
Just my two cents. Other modellers would have some input.

Cheers.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:35 PM
deltatech

I know 13 lbs sounds like allot of weight but I have an O,S, 70 FS on it now and does ok but doesn't have the "authority" to get me out of trouble. The B-2 bomber is a flying wing "all airfoil" there is no fuselage or emponage that adds weight but no lift so it is very effficent. My O,S, has 1.1 bhp compared to the TT at 1.8 bhp and the Super Tiger 90 at 2.5 bhp.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Hey Delta.... sounds like a fun project.

Kaz..... not everyone needs 1:1 thrust to weight The wings do the lifting...the engine does the pulling. Engine power to weight is important... and prop selection is important too There is definately a lot of wing on that B-2, and its not exactly a 3D machine. There are a lot of scale modellers who can tell you of flying 10 lb P-47s and 12 lb P-51s on as little as a .61 (back in the days when there were few other choices).

The Thunder Tiger engines are good products and a good value. I have been pretty pleased with them.

The ST90 is a good, reliable engine with good power. You would not be disappointed by it. Just take the time to break it in properly on the bench.

The OS91FX is a good engine as well, and set up properly is a bit more powerful ...... although some folks on here, for some reason, have had a number of problems with them. I guess I got a good one for testing. Others have had major difficulties.

Both of those engines are "60" size cases. Both will respond well to installing a Jett-stream muffler down the road, if you want a bit more power/speed.

And.. Thunder Tiger actually does have a .91Pro aircraft engine. Very similar to their 91 helicopter engine. Its just not available here in the US yet for some reason. Perhaps soon.

One word of caution. Use published HP numbers for very-broad reference only. They are often not really suitable for comparison.

Bob
Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
deltatech

Thanks for the reply Bob27s. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I looked on the Super Tiger web site and it looks like you can position the muffler any way you want to and a big plus will be the fact that you can move it out a little so you don't have to chop a space out for it. It looks like the carb can be mounted with the needle valve on the left or right. Is this correct? If so it will help allot. Thanks for any thoughs that anybody has. Deltatech
Old 11-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The muffler can be rotated.

The carb too, but you will end up with your fuel nipple in a bit of an odd location, but not impossible... as long as the fuel line doesn't touch the prop.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:12 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My lhs has a tt .91 2 stroke. I compared it side-by-side with the tt .61 and they are almost identical, except the .91 weighs 1 oz less than the .61. I would love to try this engine out, but don't have a need for it right now. I believe the price was $190.