Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My fried Jett-50 comes alive!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My fried Jett-50 comes alive!

Well Bob Brasell offered to take a look at my Jett-50 after I reported that it had no compression, and I could not get any type of consistent run on the bench. (No compression on a Jett-50? Something MUST be wrong-)

PLEASE READ: This engine was bought used in the marketplace ($160-), it is not new and this has nothing to do with Jett Engineering! A previous owner obviously noticed the SUPER tight TDC, and started messin' with it- unsuccessfully!

Sure enough Bob informed me that the engine was 6-8 Yrs old, and almot every part of the engine (internal) was damaged or flat-out not useable! The red spinner nut is okay though

Long story short, Bob dug through his parts stash and the Jett-50 is now a Bob-Jett 45, with Nelson head, and piston/sleeve from a Q-500... He has a 10x6 turning 17K (APC?) which is great --- and I plan to put the engine on my ACM Whiplash!

THESE ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE YOU FIND ON RCU! Bob stepped up and did a TON of work on my engine not because it was warranteed, or something...but because he is a hell of a guy, and an engine genius! (Probably felt sorry for me also-)

Thats it just wanted to say thanks to Bob and share my new project the Bob-Jett 45 with all y'all Speed Freaks!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My fried Jett-50 comes alive!

I just flew my Jett 90 yesterday after replacing a broken rod. This was caused by the prop coming off to far ut for me to hear the engine and it had an overspeed and kablewy! It was so easy to replace , it was scary. Removing the crank for inspection basically fell out in my hand. Very easy engine to work on.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:41 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Razor, it is nice to read your atta boy. [sm=thumbup.gif] Go look at a thread I started in the clubhouse titled "Has anyone done this for you"
I'm also glad your motor turned out ok. Rev on my Brother[X(]
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The engine seems to run fairly well. I was happy enough to see that!

Glad to help out. The parts were doing little more than taking up space in a box.

(Ya know, the kind of valuable treasures your wife just does not understand why you kept them in the first place??)

I will ship it back shortly. I'm sure the California weather will be a little more useful for a test flight within the next week or so

Boy was it windy here this weekend.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanx for sharing Razor. There really are people in the hobby that just want to help others and it sounds like Bob is one of those.
I called Dub three times and drove him crazy when I first got my Jet.The bearings were seizing up and squeeking.Didn't want to force anything and ruin something I couldn't afford to replace.He said not to worry about it so after three times calling I just went with it,still leary..Yep,it's still going and still very tight.
Plumberdeluxe (Dave) is another one of those guys that's very helpful in the hobby. I didn't have a muffler for my ST90 in a new plane so he just sent me his muffler to use till I got one.No charge,no rental fee..Just a generous guy.I have a Pitts ordered and will send it back to him as soon as I have another one.

You just can't beat good people.

My two cents
Walt
Old 11-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In addition to my .90, I also have the jett .50 Both are very tight. So tight that it does seem that something is wrong. It'll loosen up a bit ove time. I think I have about 20 flights on my 90 over thelast couple months and its not as stiff as it was but still very tight. Also the nut on the high speed needle has a tendency to come loose influght and the engine will go rich. Make sure its snug I just started to notic thatthe needle was off 90degres when I do a quick tune for a second flight.